wow, this reporter has his head on straight!

This is a discussion on wow, this reporter has his head on straight! within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; great write up, no negative twist, accurate... there is hope for the media! Greencastle, Pennsylvania From Chambersburg’s PublicOpinionOnline.com of May 5, 2007 Our view: Purchase ...

Thread: wow, this reporter has his head on straight!

wow, this reporter has his head on straight!

great write up, no negative twist, accurate... there is hope for the media!

Greencastle, Pennsylvania

From Chambersburg’s PublicOpinionOnline.com of May 5, 2007
    Our view: Purchase of gun ends thefts at area store

Merlony Colaco got robbed one too many times, and instead of shrugging and moving on, he did something about it.

The Greencastle merchant was mad and not going to take it anymore, so he bought a shotgun and caught a woman he didn't know inside his convenience store.

He also put the kibosh on what police call a recent string of local smash-and-grab robberies.

After his store, the Molly Pitcher Mini Mart, was broken into for the second time, Colaco picked up a shotgun and set up an after-hours stakeout.

In late March, his waiting reaped results when a brick sailed through his store window. Police said Erica Marie Lynch allegedly broke into the store to steal cigarettes for crack money.

Colaco was ready and police said he held her at bay until they arrived.
    Thankfully, cool heads prevailed and no one was hurt.

Colaco refused to play the victim. He used his Second Amendment rights to buy a firearm and defend his property, and he did it with common sense.

Things could have turned ugly very easily in the moments before police arrived. Take a twitch, throw in a sarcastic remark, and add in the fact that perhaps Colaco had a bad day, and the result could have been needless bloodshed.

And the Greencastle store owner could have been left with a very serious legal problem.

Law enforcement apparently agreed -- Colaco said they told Lynch, "You're lucky he didn't shoot you."

Lynch was charged with two counts of burglary and theft by unlawful taking. Her alleged accomplices received similar charges. Police believe the three hit other spots in Pennsylvania and Maryland.

All three are awaiting a preliminary hearing May 22 in Franklin County Court.

If the trio are found guilty, it's because Colaco took a leading role in bringing them to justice.

2. Remove Ads

I don't remember when I have read an article outside an NRA publication or some other gun rights group that was this fair to the gun owner.

That was a great news piece.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

"Things could have turned ugly very easily in the moments before police arrived. Take a twitch, throw in a sarcastic remark, and add in the fact that perhaps Colaco had a bad day, and the result could have been needless bloodshed."

Yep, more spin. The media just has to get in those zingers directed at those who oppose robbers, rapists, and worse.

Lynch was charged with two counts of burglary and theft by unlawful taking.
    Burglary and "theft by unlawful taking." To think that some politician put that last one on the books when the first one already existed. Par for the course, I guess.

I'm wondering, if the owner of the store was there and caught them, why only "burglary" and not "robbery"? Burglary would be an empty store, yes?

Looks like Molly Pitcher's pinchers got pinched. As it should be. May they enjoy the House Of Three Squares. May they enjoy their petty roles, there.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    The prospect of "staking-out" property is a scary one, to me.
    Even though it's clearly one's right to guard one's property, it still seems like it would be too easy to get depicted (by the press and/or a prosecutor) as bloodthirsty, intent on catching and dispatching. If you had to fire, it could get legally ugly for you couldn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Sig 210 View Post
    "Things could have turned ugly very easily in the moments before police arrived. Take a twitch, throw in a sarcastic remark, and add in the fact that perhaps Colaco had a bad day, and the result could have been needless bloodshed."

Yep, more spin. The media just has to get in those zingers directed at those who oppose robbers, rapists, and worse.
    "Law enforcement apparently agreed -- Colaco said they told Lynch, "You're lucky he didn't shoot you." "

nah, theres nothing wrong with letting the public know gun owners and people that want means of self defence dont really want to shoot anyone, we dont want "needless bloodshed" is being fair and balanced, i dont take it as a "zinger" or "spin", myself. YMMV

"If you had to fire, it could get legally ugly for you couldn't it?"

Not in OK. Read the OK Make My Day Act and the Stand Your Ground Act. The family of the late perp may not even sue in civil court.

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!

Not in OK. Read the OK Make My Day Act and the Stand Your Ground Act. The family of the late perp may not even sue in civil court.
    Did they actually name it the “Make my Day Act?”
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

Quote Originally Posted by mark555 View Post
    Did they actually name it the “Make my Day Act?”
    No, it was called the Stand Your Ground Act. However it is referred to here by law enforcement and politicians as the "Make My Day Act." It was expanded in 2006.
    http://www.alphecca.com/mt_alphecca_...es/003061.html

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar

I understand that, but there are still laws against "lying in wait" and stuff.

I'm just saying that "stand-your-ground" laws or not (we have it here in FL too, thankfully) it sounds dicey, EVEN THOUGH I FULLY SUPPORT THE NOTION OF SURVEILLING AND DEFENDING YOUR PROPERTY. I want to make that clear. I just worry for what an overzealous, anti-self-defense prosecutor would make of it if you said that you had had enough of being burglarized so you armed yourself and waited to see if someone would break in. They'd paint you as trying to act as the police, probably.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    I understand that, but there are still laws against "lying in wait" and stuff.

I'm just saying that "stand-your-ground" laws or not (we have it here in FL too, thankfully) it sounds dicey, EVEN THOUGH I FULLY SUPPORT THE NOTION OF SURVEILLING AND DEFENDING YOUR PROPERTY. I want to make that clear. I just worry for what an overzealous, anti-self-defense prosecutor would make of it if you said that you had had enough of being burglarized so you armed yourself and waited to see if someone would break in. They'd paint you as trying to act as the police, probably.
    Lying in wait would indicate that you stationed yourself in a position to shoot someone for coming in legally or for shooting someone before they came in. If you are inside a place you have a legal right to be and someone breaks when you confront them you are not "lying in wait." You are infact confronting a felon.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Links