Close Call

This is a discussion on Close Call within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; ExSoldier, I'm intrigued about what the reaction of your girlfriend was about you having/drawing a handgun. Was she a college liberal who wants to count ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Close Call

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    ExSoldier, I'm intrigued about what the reaction of your girlfriend was about you having/drawing a handgun.

Was she a college liberal who wants to count on the goodness in other people, or was she one who valued your being prepared for self defense -- and your ability to save her from being "carved white meat"?

I certainly hope she was appreciative that her skin was saved by you and your gun.

2. Remove Ads

Ron
    Without intending to belabor the excellent advice already given, I just want to add that what I learned from paying careful attention to the posts I read on this Forum when I first started to carry is the following rule, which I follow without fail whenever I leave my house and am carrying: "I make certain that I have left my ego laying comfortably inside my house. It is never with me when I carry."

By doing so, it not only has kept me out of potential trouble, but has changed my entire outlook.

Welcome to the Forum.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

All good advice, hope you'll accept and follow it. If not, you could wind up dead or an inmate.

The guys you encountered were certainly low life jerks, but you escalated the situation, by engaging them in the exchange of insults and bravado. You were fortunate only a bat was produced from their trunk and also that they were wise enough to leave, upon seeing your weapon.

But, that being said welcome to the forum. We can all learn something everyday.

ExSoldier, great post. Based on that post and other I have read by you, you have definitely earned the right to have that avatar. :)

About this forum - great place. Regular attendance and participation in this forum is like taking a college course devoted to all things self-defense. And not a typical liberal-run college, either ... more like a school ran by Massad and Col. Cooper (may he rest in peace).

Speaking of the unchambered round, I found this while reading articles by Massad Ayoob:

In the Southwest, a well-intentioned good guy who was apparently a little ambivalent about his choice, decided to carry a gun. He purchased a Glock 23 and kept it in a fanny pack, loaded with a magazine of .40 S&W training ammunition but with nothing in the chamber.

The day came when he was faced with armed robbers. He grabbed the Glock out of the fanny pack and tried to chamber a round. but fumbled with the slide and jammed his pistol. The robbers shot him down. He survived--and sued Glock, Incorporated.
    Rest of Massad's article here: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...8/ai_110457294

Good Question!

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    ExSoldier, I'm intrigued about what the reaction of your girlfriend was about you having/drawing a handgun.

Was she a college liberal who wants to count on the goodness in other people, or was she one who valued your being prepared for self defense -- and your ability to save her from being "carved white meat"?

I certainly hope she was appreciative that her skin was saved by you and your gun.
    Let me tell you about that GAL. She was younger than me by a couple of years but she was raised right. I once offered to get her a can of mace for self protection walking home from the labs late at night (she was a double major MATH/PHYSICS and a double minor HISTORY/FRENCH & lettered in cross country for the University of Alabama) and her reply was exquisite: Give me a knife. I want to leave their STEAMING ENTRAILS on the sidewalk! I tried hard to marry her, but it wasn't in the Almighty's game plan. ~sigh.~
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links