Ft Lauderdale jewelry v. Bad Guys

This is a discussion on Ft Lauderdale jewelry v. Bad Guys within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Just breaking....more to come. FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (WSVN) – Police are investigating a jewelry heist that turned bad for the two would-be robbers when the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ft Lauderdale jewelry v. Bad Guys

VIP Member

Ft Lauderdale jewelry v. Bad Guys

Just breaking....more to come.

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (WSVN) – Police are investigating a jewelry heist that turned bad for the two would-be robbers when the store employees shot them, critically wounding one of them. The two suspects have been hospitalized.
    The critically wounded was shot in the head.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

2. Remove Ads

More guns = less crime.

Or, how to get an extra hole in your ski mask 101.

Quote Originally Posted by 0.02 View Post
    More guns = less crime.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 0.02 View Post
    More guns = less crime.

You are a bad influence, you know that? I was on my way to a nap and I had to stop and do the darn pic.

You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

"The critically wounded was shot in the head."

Well, it wasn't like he was using it.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    Sounds like a simular Jewlery store failure back in the 90's here in Richmond. They didn't fair to well either.

Here a link to the Richmond story.

Read about it here
    Last edited by 4my sons; May 9th, 2007 at 02:29 PM. Reason: added link
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    You are a bad influence, you know that? I was on my way to a nap and I had to stop and do the darn pic.

That's hilarious!

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post

- Janq
    Janq.....between here and Nasioc I just love your posts. :)

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 4my son View Post
    Sounds like a simular Jewlery store failure back in the 90's here in Richmond. They didn't fair to well either.

Here a link to the Richmond story.

Read about it here
    Here's another link about the same shootout, with more detail.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...27/ai_99130342

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    I understand you can find those new ski masks any where they sell WWII French Army rifles......
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

VIP Member
    OK a bit more

Jewelry heist turns into shootout
    FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (WSVN) - Police are investigating a jewelry heist that turned bad for the two would-be robbers when the store employees shot them, critically wounding one of them.

One of the men was arrested at the store and taken to the hospital in critical condition.

The other took off in a car, but was caught a few miles away.

The attempted robbery took place at the Bentley Jewelry Store located at 2750 Oakland Park Blvd. Both suspects were injured in a shootout with the store owner, with one shot in the head and the other in the chest.

The pair fled the scene in a gray sports utility vehicle headed westbound towards Andrews Avenue with two flat tires before they were apprehended. Both were transported to the hospital in critical condition.

Thge employees were not hurt.

Police continue to investigate the crime scene.
    Jewelry store owner shoots bandits

Two armed wanna-be jewelry thieves in Fort Lauderdale collected lead slugs instead of gems Wednesday morning after they faced-off against a store owner who was packing a handgun, police said.

The gun battle, which took place shortly after 11 a.m. at Bentley's 1900 Jewelers on E. Oakland Park Boulevard, left the two bandits in critical condition, said Fort Lauderdale police spokeswoman Kathy Collins.

''The first bad guy got shot in the head and was stopped,'' Collins said.

``The second bad guy tried to get away, despite being shot several times, but we caught him a few minutes later.''

Police are on the scene and are investigating
    Last edited by Miggy; May 9th, 2007 at 05:12 PM.
    Randy Cain.

VIP Member
    And Sun Sentinel

Botched Lauderdale store robbery ends with 2 alleged gunmen shot by owners

By Brian Haas
    Sun-Sentinel.com
    Posted May 9 2007, 2:21 PM EDT

FORT LAUDERDALE --Two men who tried to rob a Fort Lauderdale jewelry store at gunpoint were shot and critically wounded by the store owners in a gun battle, police said Wednesday.

The two men pretended to be customers at Bentley's Jewelers at 2753 E. Oakland Park Blvd. about 11 a.m., said Detective Katherine Collins, spokeswoman for the Fort Lauderdale Police Department. At some point, she said, the two men pulled out guns to rob the store.

LocalLinks

At least one of the store's owners, however, pulled out a gun as well. Both sides exchanged fire. One of the robbers was shot in the upper torso and fell critically wounded in the store, Collins said. The other, bleeding from several wounds, stumbled outside to a silver SUV and fled, she said.

The fleeing SUV smashed into two parked vehicles and one occupied car, Collins said. No one was injured in the crashes.

The person in the car was able to call police and give a description of the SUV and a partial license plate number, Collins said.

Within a few minutes, a bulletin was issued for a silver SUV fleeing from a hit-and-run, said Wilton Manors police officer Greg Gardner. He spotted the SUV and pulled it over at Oakland Park Boulevard near North Andrews Avenue with several Fort Lauderdale officers assisting.

The man surrendered peacefully.

"He had blood on him from here [pointing to the chest] all the way down to his knees," Gardner said.

Both men were rushed to Broward General Medical Center with critical, life-threatening injuries, Collins said. The jewelry store owners were unhurt.

Police have not release the names of any of the people involved yet. Corporate records indicate the store is owned by Hugo R. Villalta.

Carter McDonald said he has been a customer of Villalta's for 15 years and he was going to pick up a watch Wednesday.

"He's one of the most loved and respected members of this community," McDonald said. He added that Villalta has an extensive security system in place. "If anyone tried to make a move on Hugo, they made a mistake."

Police have not filed any charges. The investigation continues.

Under Florida laws, a citizen is allowed to use deadly force to defend oneself or others if someone is in danger of death or great bodily harm. The state's still-fresh "Stand Your Ground" law also says that citizens do not have any duty to try and retreat before using deadly force.
    And on TV just now the reporter said one of them is not expected to survive.
    Last edited by Miggy; May 9th, 2007 at 05:20 PM.
    Randy Cain.

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post

That's pretty funny. But it would be funnier if ski was spelled right........

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smith&Wessonfan View Post
    That's pretty funny. But it would be funnier if ski was spelled right........
    Mispelled? Where???? <evil laugh>

I did not notice, thanks for the heads up! Corrected now
    Randy Cain.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links