Truck beats imaginary pistols

This is a discussion on Truck beats imaginary pistols within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...027/1056/COL02 Police say Jeremy Korte and Greg Kalejs started the day by committing a robbery, but ended it running from a truck driven by one ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Truck beats imaginary pistols

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...027/1056/COL02

Police say Jeremy Korte and Greg Kalejs started the day by committing a robbery, but ended it running from a truck driven by one of their alleged victims who was aiming right at them.

Korte, 27, and Kalejs, 29, both of Westwood, are accused of waiting outside the Blue Note club on W. 8th Street in Price Hill at 1:33 this morning and trying to rob two men who just left the club.

Korte and Kalejs are accused of robbing Kenneth Schulte and Chad Anderson, choking them and threatening them by implying they had guns. One victim also was punched several times.

The other victim Ė the police report didnít specify who Ė broke free from Korte and Kalejs before they got his wallet and got away, but they did get the wallet of the other man.

The first victim ran to his truck and then drove it at Korte and Kalejs, police said, scaring them away from the scene.

When Korte and Kalejs were arrested 20 minutes later, police note, they had the wallet of the second victim.

Both Korte and Kalejs were charged with aggravated robbery. They are expected in court Saturday.
    A truck is better than nothing for defending yourself. The Blue Note is a No carry zone due to it having a liquor liscense.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Glad they caught them.
    For God, Family and Country!

Should have used a Dodge Magnum.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

"Never go to clubs with metal detectors. Sure it feels safe inside. But what about all those ****** waiting outside with guns?" -Chris Rock

Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    hmm yeah...said he drove at them...not hit them...must have been a "FoundOnTheRoadDead" if it couldn't catch up to 'em.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Ah, the engine size debate. . .

Look, as long as your vehicle placement means you hit a vital part of the thug's body with your truck, it really doesn't matter how large your vehicle or its engine is!

He is lucky the perps weren't armed.

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    He is lucky the perps weren't armed.
    Funny you should mention that.

I have thought about that exact scenario enough to run some actual drills with my truck, as weird as that sounds.

I have found that if I duck down enough that my eyes are looking through the inside of the portion of the steering wheel above the IP, I can see well enough and drive well enough to destroy anyone shooting at me without exposing much at all as a target.

The tendency of most to shoot center of mass means that with me in such a posture, most rounds will be impacting the laminated glass several inches above me.

Someone shooting from the side will have an advantage until I can turn their way. Once that happens, they better not stand their ground because I will charge them until either they turn tail and run or until they are under my truck, whichever comes first.

I can always buy a new radiatior and windshield.

Bullets will go right through a door. A friend and I completely "tested" a very clean '93 Chrysler New Yorker (blown engine) against several types of ammunition. 9mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, .45 GAP, .22 magnum, .17 HMR, and anything heavier than bird shot in 12 gauge will go straight through the doors and usually into the opposite door. .40 S&W and 12 gauge slugs went completely through one door and out the other side! The windshield wasn't as tough as it looked. .32 ACP, .22 LR, and all of the above rounds popped holes right through it, and we were able to make notable marks on targets placed inside the car (that means the window won't offset the direction the bullet is flying, folks)!

All of the above rounds (except the smaller stuff) made severe engine damage when going through the front grille. 12 gauge slugs managed to break through the A/C condenser, radiator, fan, a metal pulley and it busted straight through the aluminum intake, into the firewall and finally came to rest in the dash. Particles flew out of the radio and ripped parts of the seats up nicely.

The "test" was more fun than anything, but also a bit informational. I would NEVER stay in my vehicle if I were getting shot at, ESPECIALLY from behind! 9mm and .40 S&W were going through the trunk deck lid, through the rear seat, front seats and up into the dash! Vehicles do NOT make you safe! Remember that!

If you are in a car and it's not already "aimed" at the BG's put it in whichever gear takes you away from them. I've never shot a vehicle myself but I'll trust the buick o' truth.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/thebuickotruth.htm
    There are over 550 million firearms in worldwide circulation. That's one firearm for every twelve people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11? (Yuri Orlov [Nicolas Cage] Lord of War)

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    Of course escaping is a good idea. But it is also good to know what to do if that is not an option or if the threat is so close that it is better to charge than to run away.

,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Concealing a Full-size pickup would be kinda hard.

In all seriousness, A pickup has about a million times more FPS than a .45 and you have the added benefit of claiming you were trying to avoid a conflict, even if you do run both of them over a couple of times.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    All kidding aside, I think it might get pretty hard to justify having run someone down instead of driving away to flee the danger. Even in a state with a "stand-your-ground" law, they might find the running-down gratuitous. Not that I mind, personally; if it's a criminal scumbag, heck, do it! But I think the law might give you a hard time.

Perhaps,

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    All kidding aside, I think it might get pretty hard to justify having run someone down instead of driving away to flee the danger. Even in a state with a "stand-your-ground" law, they might find the running-down gratuitous. Not that I mind, personally; if it's a criminal scumbag, heck, do it! But I think the law might give you a hard time.
    But if I were in a vehicle, and the perp was pointing a gun at me while I'm behind the wheel?...my hand goes to drive (not reverse) and my foot stomps the gas...thump, thump...stop...reverse...thump, thump...stop...check for continued threat?...call 911
    (That gun could still kill me if I first tried to back away!)

OMO...yours may vary!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links