Bode Miller's cousin kills officer, then is killed by passer-by (merged)

This is a discussion on Bode Miller's cousin kills officer, then is killed by passer-by (merged) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Bode Miller's cousin kills officer, then is killed by passer-by By BEVERLEY WANG, Associated Press Writer May 12, 2007 FRANCONIA, N.H. (AP) -- A cousin ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bode Miller's cousin kills officer, then is killed by passer-by (merged)

Bode Miller's cousin kills officer, then is killed by passer-by (merged)

Bode Miller's cousin kills officer, then is killed by passer-by
    By BEVERLEY WANG, Associated Press Writer
    May 12, 2007

FRANCONIA, N.H. (AP) -- A cousin of skiing star Bode Miller fatally shot and ran over a police officer, then was killed by a passer-by who grabbed the officer's gun.

Liko Kenney shot Cpl. Bruce McKay four times and ran over him after a traffic stop Friday evening, state Attorney General Kelly Ayotte said. Gregory Floyd, who was driving by with his son, grabbed McKay's gun and shot Kenney when he refused to put his gun down, Ayotte said.

The 24-year-old Kenney was convicted of assaulting McKay and resisting arrest in 2003. Ayotte had no other details of that previous incident between the men, and rejected suggestions the officer should have let someone else handle the traffic stop given his history with the driver.

Officials said McKay pulled Kenney over for speeding on Route 116. Kenney took off, and McKay pursued him for about 1 1/2 miles before pulling in front of Kenney's car and pushing it off the road.

The officer used pepper spray on Kenney and his passenger and then turned around and was shot, Ayotte said Saturday at a news conference in Concord. Soon after, Floyd arrived and confronted Kenney while his son called for help using the officer's radio. Authorities said Floyd was justified in shooting Kenney.

The 48-year-old McKay was a 12-year veteran of the Franconia Police Department.

"It really tears at the fabric of the community and the fabric of the state," said Gov. John Lynch, who visited the town of about 900 residents Saturday as people paid their respects and brought flowers to a police station.

Bode Miller's father, Woody Miller, said there was a history of animosity between the officer and his nephew.

"They had a long relationship," said Miller, who operates an international tennis camp in nearby Easton. "There's been physical altercations between them before in the course of being arrested."

Miller said Kenney, who lived next door to him, didn't have a steady job, but often took work cutting firewood and picking fiddlehead ferns, a wild green that grows in the region and is considered a delicacy.

Bode Miller, who once bailed his cousin out of jail, was on his way home to Franconia, his father said. Miller was in Park City, Utah, this week, meeting with officials of the U.S. Ski and Snowboard Association. At that meeting, the former Olympic medalist told officials he was cutting his ties with the U.S. team.

The shooting happened near this town in the White Mountain National Forest, popular with skiers and tourists who visited the Old Man of the Mountain, a rock formation and the state's symbol that crumbled into pieces four years ago.

Associated Press reporters Holly Ramer and Kathy McCormack contributed to this story.

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

2. Remove Ads

Where was this officers backup? I sure hope the personal issues they had did not cause him to think he could handle the threat on his own due to the personal vendetta and not call in the pursuit/traffic stop.

I HATE seeing scumbags kill cops. I am glad he was killed. Saved the NH taxpayers a lot of money.

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    It is a shame for the officer, the citizen showed a lot of courage.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

kudos to greg floyd, though if it were me, and i had my daughter with me, i can't say for sure i would have done what he did. still, he showed a drawer full of testicular fortitude.

azchevy asks, "Where was this officers backup"?
    The location of the shooting is extreme remote area of our state. Sometimes you can drive up there and not see another car or a light on for 10 minutes. I would think that backups up there won't get there until far too late to do any good.
    "There is no such thing as too much ammo. Unless you're swimming!"

Quote Originally Posted by bones View Post
    The location of the shooting is extreme remote area of our state. Sometimes you can drive up there and not see another car or a light on for 10 minutes. I would think that backups up there won't get there until far too late to do any good.
    I'm sorry, but this literally made me burst out laughing. That may be remote for New England, but to someone like me who grew up in the West, ten minutes between cars/houses is hardly 'remote'. You can find state highways out here where you can go hours without seeing a house or another car. All depends on what you're used to, I guess.

VIP Member

Good guy stops cop killer

This story sounds like the plot of an action movie.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18632025/
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    I'm sorry, but this literally made me burst out laughing. That may be remote for New England, but to someone like me who grew up in the West, ten minutes between cars/houses is hardly 'remote'. You can find state highways out here where you can go hours without seeing a house or another car. All depends on what you're used to, I guess.
    Amen Brother!

Tim in SW New Mexico

Quote Originally Posted by bones View Post
    azchevy asks, "Where was this officers backup"?
    Just asking. I wasn't sure.

By the way I live extremely remote =, my county is 13, 700 square miles..... in relation the state of N.H. is 8900 square miles. I have to drive 26.5 miles to get to a traffic light.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    And that's why we like it here right Blackeagle? You do however kinda have to think differently when planning for a trip out into the wilderness.
    Semper Paratus (Always Ready)

According to one of the local papers the officer wasn't wearing any body armor. Very sad story, though at least the SOB BG is dead. And though remote up here may not be the same as other areas of the country, chances are any backup would have been too far out to assist the officer.

Just to put thinks in perspective, the county i live in in larger than Rhode Island.

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    I saw that in TV just a little while ago. Good for the bystander. Later I saw where a 91 year old man was getting his head beat several times in a car jacking and several people standing close by and none doing anything at all to help. Not even calling PD on a cell phone.
    Wish I could have happened along to help the old man.
    For God, Family and Country!

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Where was this officers backup? I sure hope the personal issues they had did not cause him to think he could handle the threat on his own due to the personal vendetta and not call in the pursuit/traffic stop.

I HATE seeing scumbags kill cops. I am glad he was killed. Saved the NH taxpayers a lot of money.
    I saw this story myself on cnn.com and was shocked.
    I'm with you -- very glad the scumbag was killed. Even gladder that it was Joe Citizen who came upon the scene and did the right thing. How much youwannabet that McKay's brother officers come to the defense and possible financial aid of the do-gooder, if needed? Well they ought to.

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    I saw this story myself on cnn.com and was shocked.
    I'm with you -- very glad the scumbag was killed. Even gladder that it was Joe Citizen who came upon the scene and did the right thing. How much youwannabet that McKay's brother officers come to the defense and possible financial aid of the do-gooder, if needed? Well they ought to.

it'll never make it to any trial, even civil. and that guy and his kid are

very unlikely to have any parking or speeding tickets in the few years.

Kudos to them, God bless the officer and his family.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links