Armed success story by new member

This is a discussion on Armed success story by new member within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Can't wait for tomorrow! Welcome to the forum....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Armed success story by new member

Can't wait for tomorrow! Welcome to the forum.
    Semper Paratus (Always Ready)

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Ok, here's the second segment. Thanks for tolerating splitting this story up, this is a busy time of year for me, so I really don't have time to sit down and write all of this A-Z at once.

Alright, I had left off with us needing to check and secure our house since the two bad guys were in our community. My son was sitting in the idling truck ready to go get help. I was going to probe our home myself.

Let me say this first. No one in our home smokes, but if we had a visitor who had previously smoked outside before he went in our house, I could smell it later for a little while, even after they left. No offense to any smoker, it's just a fact! When I got to the door, I'm thinking these guys would be sweaty (at least) and as soon as I opened the door I did a deliberate test-the-air-smell test and it was negative. I was likely betting with my nose and life that no one was in the house, and after a search, I was relieved that no one was.

I motioned for my son to come in and discuss what we'd do next. Since I knew the local terrain, geography, landowners, etc very well, that it would be helpful for me to aid in the search somehow. One thing I wanted to do pretty quickly was go and re-check all of our neighbors and see if they were really okay. They are all elderly or single women and knowing them well I wanted to "look in their eye" and see if they really were okay or just being forced to say so.

My son is very competent and responsible (excellent marksman too) and he would stay home and keep the house secure and have a safe place for me to send overly frightened neighbors. I gave my son my S&W Mod. 19 and one of our walkie-talkies and the advice to stay in the house, but continue to be diligent, watch outside at all distances, and if he sees anyone that looks suspicious to call 911, and then me on the radio. Of course if anyone suspicious approaches near the house or try to break in, then do the same. If one actually breaks in the house then it's time for you to defend yourself.

I left the house in my farm truck with a cell phone, walkie-talkie and the old riot gun on the passenger side. It was barrel down in passenger floorboard and the stock leaning on the passenger seat next to me. I first drove to the nearby wreck site to get a bearing on exactly where and what woods they entered. By now the wreck site was buzzing pretty heavy. I talked to another deputy at the road block I knew and he pointed out the general direction they thought the bad guys ran (deep in the woods). Some searchers had already entered the woods looking for these guys. I told the deputy that I was going to double-check all of the neighbors myself, then go sit in an open area I knew about and watch over it and if I saw or heard something suspicious I'd let them know by cell phone.

I had no intentions of interfering or joining with their seach, but he and I both knew that an extra set of eyes ahead of the bad guys was a good idea. I left there and immediately went to check on our neighbors. All of them were really nervous, in fact I talked to one elderly lady while she held an old MP nightstick in her hand. Not threatening me at all, it just happened to be her "tool" at the time. I offered the safety of a ride to our house with all of them, but you know how people tend to want to occupy their own house no matter what.

After checking the neighbors I thought that before I began my monitoring in the open field, that it would be a good idea to drive down the road, away from the road block, and get my bearing as to how many patrol cars were set up down there. That way if I saw something suspicious I'd be able to tell them which patrol car was closest. I drove down the highway and this part was heavily wooded on both sides. I drove about a mile and came across one car with two deputies from another parish (county), they were sitting in the car watching over an old clear-cut area. I waved to them, turned around to head back to the open field that I wanted to watch over.

**** I need to get to work, I can finish this with one more segment, possibly today or maybe tomorrow****

Aw, come on, this just isn't fair. Get on with it already. This is becoming one of those cop dramas like "The Shield". They get you sucked in and drop the show right there until next week...Aarrgh.

Joking aside, get back to work (like I should). We'll be waiting for the next installment.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

Assistant Administrator
    Thx ppk - we patiently await your return
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    Welcome to the forum, and you had my attention at the first segment!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Ok, posting to see "the rest of the story".
    For God, Family and Country!

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    subscribed. This is becoming a good story. oh, and welcome to the forums.

VIP Member
    Ok, I think this should be the third and final segment of this story. By the way my son reminded me to tell you that I was a reserve deputy for 25 years. I'm actually a full time farmer/businessman and joined the sheriff's office reserves in 1975? As a reserve we did pretty much everything, especially during special events, tornadoes, festivals, regular patrol, etc. I've gotten so busy recently that I really didn't have much spare time and decided to "retire" from the reserves after exactly 25 years. I joined and served that length of time as a service to our community, my small part might have made a difference in the safety of others.

In the second segment I ended telling about driving down the road and familiarizing myself with the location of other patrol cars, which was actually only one car that had come to help from a neighboring parish (county). While I was driving checking these positions out, I was only going about 30 mph and looking in the woods thinking I might catch a glimpse of someone. Long shot, but maybe? After I knew the position of the lone patrol car I headed back to the open field I was going to monitor. As I drove around a slight curve headed north, I looked ahead of me and saw two subjects walking in the south bound lane toward me, as I drove north. Keep in mind I had just passed that point a few minutes prior when I was checking patrol car positions and no one was there, also no other cars had passed either. These guys came out of the woods! They also matched the descriptions that had been given to me. Apparently they had been near the edge of the woods or under a bridge when I passed the first time.

These guys had traveled through the woods faster than anyone had expected, they probably had found an old logging road and made good time. I guessed they had gone through the woods and came upon a bayou that looked too snakey and deep to cross and just followed it to the highway and hoped to catch a ride out of that area. At the time of me spotting them I had just a few seconds to make a quick decision before I would pass them on the road.

I'm in favor of calling the police and letting them do their job. In fact that is exactly what I was trying to do but these two guys essentially fell in my lap. If I would have let them keep walking they would have soon seen the patrol car parked on the side of the road about 400 yds away and they would have simply jumped back in the woods to evade them. If I were to just drive past them and ignored them, then called the deputies, they would have darted off in the woods just as soon as they heard/saw the marked cars coming. This could have gone on all afternoon, til dark, then they'd likely slip away. We don't have the choppers with the FLIR stuff to use. Actually I think the state police do have some now, but not ten years ago.

I realize I'm driving a farm truck (unmarked) from the direction of safety for them, and not wearing a uniform. They would likely think that I might not know what's going on and believe some lame story they'd give me, and I'd give them a ride out of that area? I quickly decide that I can safely surprise and intimidate them enough to keep them on the highway and out of the woods. So I'm driving my truck and slow down like I'm going to ask them something while I ease the riot gun across my lap, and roll down my drivers side window. I slowed down enough, but stopped short of their position in the road, I wanted to keep a 20+ foot or so buffer between them and me. Actually while my truck was still rolling (clutched), I quickly pointed the gun out the truck window with the command for them to not move. The surpise element worked just fine, they were caught completely off guard and shocked. From my buffer, I pointed the riot gun directly at their heads, I know about shooting body mass targets, but I needed to intimidate them immediately and aiming at their heads was a good start. I remember the first subjects words to me were, "we aint did nothin". While ignoring his excuse, and maintaining my buffer I ordered them for hands up, on their knees, face down, and arms spread out. Both complied promptly, actually complied with a precision that seemed we 3 had been rehearsing together for years! No doubt they had experience in the prone position on the street.

I demanded that they remain face down because I didn't want them seeing I was alone, or who may be coming, or look for a new escape direction. The first one had some "rabbit" in him and he was pretty antsy, I noticed one eye that kept trying to look around and I made sure when it looked to the side he was able to look directly in the barrel, hopefully even seeing the crimped end of the shell. The eye would then retreat back to the asphalt. When I had a moment, I reached for the walkie-talkie to call my son. I didn't want to use my cell phone and take my eyes off of them to dial 911. The walkie-talkies were on the fringe for the distance and dense woods, but he heard me say, "Call 911and tell them to come to the bridges"

While waiting I remember thinking to myself that I ought to be a little nervous, but I wasn't nervous at all. My main thoughts were staying safe and keeping these guys from running again. My son later told me he called 911 and of course they instantly relayed the information to the nearby patrol cars, in a minute or so I could hear the patrol car engines screaming and sucking air on their way to my location. The calvary arrived! State police, city police and deputies were jumping out of their cars and gladly allowed me to keep the bad guys covered while they were being handcuffed.

They brought the abducted female by the capture sight so she could positively ID the two bad guys. Wearing handcuffs and leg shackles the two were taken to jail. I left the scene and went back to work. A week or so later I ran into the deputy that took them to jail, he was amused about his trip to town with them, and said these guys told him they were city boys and didn't like the woods at all, but worse then that they were severely frightened of me! He also said their arrest record history was very long and they were associated with gangs in Los Angeles. I expected to spend some time in court on this, but I was never summoned. I heard they were wanted in another Louisiana city for stealing the Mustang, and wanted in California also. I don't have any idea of their sentencing or current status.

Anyway that concludes my story. I'm thankful the whole incident worked out safely, and by all means I don't want this story to motivate someone into getting themselves in a jam. Not every incident like this will work out successfully, I was dealt a lucky hand of cards and played them out successfully, if you don't get dealt a good hand of cards don't try and play them.

Assistant Administrator
    Nicely related story .... and thx.

I can see your logic in taking the action you did and of course you had mere seconds to make that decision. It would seem that any other course of action would have led to the perps escaping, again.

Glad it went as it did - it sure is a special case type deal. No doubt your 25 yrs as reserve made quite a difference too.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

i guess i was lucky. i didn't run into this thread until it was finished (not too much suspense). good story and i enjoyed reading it. your right as well... they could have ran, attempted to jump you... etc. 'all's well that ends well'.
    What's this button do?

1943 - 2009
    ppkheat,

Great story and very well written. I have to compliment you on your writing style. It's concise and very easy to follow. My old college English Comp professor would approve and he was a stern taskmaster, believe me.

"we aint did nothin".
    Priceless. I'd probably say the same thing, staring down the barrel of a 12 gauge.

Thanks again.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Lead Moderator
    Great story! Thanks.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Good story and job well done!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

excellent thread, terrific write!!

good job!

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Ditto from me - Very good read. Glad it turned out like it did.
    For God, Family and Country!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links