Don't MESS With Texas!

This is a discussion on Don't MESS With Texas! within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Texas: 2 Robbery Suspects Shot In Store Shootout (1 Gunman Dead At Scene; 1 Wounded) Click2Houston ^ | 4/6/05 Posted on 04/06/2005 10:19:06 PM EDT ...

Thread: Don't MESS With Texas!

Don't MESS With Texas!

Texas: 2 Robbery Suspects Shot In Store Shootout (1 Gunman Dead At Scene; 1 Wounded)
    Click2Houston ^ | 4/6/05

Posted on 04/06/2005 10:19:06 PM EDT by Mr. Mojo

HOUSTON -- An off-duty police officer and a manager at a southeast Houston pawnshop shot two gunmen during an attempted robbery, authorities told Local 2.

The robbery and shooting took place at the Magnolia Pawn Shop, on Evergreen at Lawndale.

The Brookside Village police officer was working an extra job at the Magnolia Pawn Shop on Evergreen at Lawndale when four armed men tried to rob the store shortly after 2 p.m., officials said. Gunfire was exchanged and two of the suspected robbers were hit.

Investigators said one gunman died at the scene. Three others escaped, but one of them is believed to have received a gunshot wound to the stomach.

Blood, bullets and glass were scattered throughout the store, police tell Local 2.

"Things happened very, very quickly. The assault rifle that one of the suspects was carrying appears to be like an SKS AK-47 type of weapon with a large banana clip," said Sgt. C.P. Abbey, with the Houston Police Department.

The getaway car was found near the scene.

Houston police searched the 1000 block of Evergreen for the gunmen.

One of the getaway cars was found near the scene.

Hospitals have also been asked to be on the lookout for gunshot victims seeking treatment.

No one else was injured.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

2. Remove Ads

"The assault rifle that one of the suspects was carrying appears to be like an SKS AK-47 type of weapon with a large banana clip," said Sgt. C.P. Abbey, with the Houston Police Department.
    That sentence makes my head hurt.

A. I bet you $300 there was not a rifle involved with selective fire capability.

B. I know what an SKS is, I know what an AK 47 is, but what the hell is an SKS AK-47? Is it capable of automatic fire?

C. The last time I used the term "banana clip" I was eleven years old and even then I had no idea what it meant. Was there a stripper clip involved or are they trying to refer to the magazine or did the pawn shop have a produce section?

D. This person has a position of authority in law enforcement and can't use accurate language to describe a firearm? All you have to say was "The perpetrators used a semiautomatic Kalashinov action rifle which featured an estimated 30 round capacity detachable magazine." See how much more sense that makes? Ughhh...

Good story though.

Red face

Blame the media and/or unknowledgeable LEO spokespersons....I see this "it was an AK-47" all the frickin time in the media....most aren't, period....just proves once again where journalism has sunk to in the last 1000 years!

Thumbs down AK47 wannabes....

Quote Originally Posted by Prospector
    Blame the media and/or unknowledgeable LEO spokespersons....I see this "it was an AK-47" all the frickin time in the media....most aren't, period....just proves once again where journalism has sunk to in the last 1000 years!
    Anybody whose ever seen the movie SWAT with Colin Ferell, will remember the scene near the middle where the drug dealers own goon tried to spring him from the prison bus only to be stopped by the SWAT team. The goon used a suppressed pistol which was interestingly transformed into an AK47 on the news during the movie. That still grates on me....
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Well of course! AK-47 is a "terrorist weapon" that people recognize. If you said "kalashinov" they'd say "what?".

Links