Homeowner Shoots Intruder (PA)

This is a discussion on Homeowner Shoots Intruder (PA) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Home owner shoots intruder (PA) Tribune-Review ^ | April 10, 2005 A Hempfield man shot an intruder who invaded his home early Saturday, state police ...

Thread: Homeowner Shoots Intruder (PA)

Homeowner Shoots Intruder (PA)

Home owner shoots intruder (PA)
    Tribune-Review ^ | April 10, 2005

A Hempfield man shot an intruder who invaded his home early Saturday, state police at Greensburg said.

The unidentified homeowner fired two warning shots before shooting Gregory R. Powell, 43, of Greensburg in the legs, police said.

The unidentified family --- a 37-year-old male, a 33-year-old female and 5-year-old and 8-year-old girls --- were not hurt in the 3 a.m. home invasion, Trooper Jared Slater said in a press release issued 13 hours after the incident.

Powell allegedly broke into the residence by using an iron fireplace poker and his fists to break out a pane of door glass. The family called police.

The homeowner, armed with a handgun, warned Powell not to enter the residence. According to police, Powell entered and charged at the man, who then fired two warning shots. After Powell continued to "menace" the man, he was shot in the legs, according to police.

Police said Powell then broke out another pane of door glass and escaped from the house. He was arrested at the scene and flown by medical helicopter to a Pittsburgh hospital for gunshot and laceration wounds. The extent of his injuries was unknown. Police did not say how many times Powell was shot.

After his release from medical care, police said, Powell will be arraigned on charges of burglary, felony criminal trespass, four counts of terroristic threats, simple assault, misdemeanor criminal mischief and misdemeanor possessing instruments of crime.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

2. Remove Ads

DC Founder
    Someone needs to have a serious talk with that homeowner about the foolishness of "warning shots" and "shooting to wound". The homeowner will probably be sued for crippling the guy, however slightly.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

1952 - 2006
    I agree with you Bumper. This guy was a fool for taking the chance on stray warning shots and shooting to wound instead of shooting to stop. This guy should have been removed from the gene pool.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

DC Founder
    The "poor house" and jails are surprisingly similar, I expect.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Angry

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury...yes it is true I was intending to steal some stuff to support my drug habit and yes I broke into the home, but once inside my "intent" was just to grab some stuff and run....then this idiot starts shooting at me...well all I had to "defend" myself was this poker, so I tried to "fend off" this lunitic and he shot me in the legs. My injuries are permanent and I'll never be able to support the lifestyle I'm accustomed to.....so please do your duty and award me my $5,000,000 claim.

Links