Sex Attack Inside Church Captured On Videotape [Victim fights back FTW with a pen]

This is a discussion on Sex Attack Inside Church Captured On Videotape [Victim fights back FTW with a pen] within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; When I was in the Police Academy an instructor once said "a good cop always carries a pen". No longer a LEO I finally find ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sex Attack Inside Church Captured On Videotape [Victim fights back FTW with a pen]

VIP Member
    When I was in the Police Academy an instructor once said "a good cop always carries a pen". No longer a LEO I finally find out why!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Anyone get one of those Cold Steel "Sharkie" magic markers?
    They're billed as a low-profile substitute for a whaddya call it kinda weapon like a kubotan. You know, a pokey-stick kinda thing. Is there a term for those?

They make it out of thick-walled plastic tube, and the cap screws on instead of popping on. They advertise them in the catalog for a bit under five bucks. I like the idea of them, but the only thing I don't care for is that the name "Sharkie" printed on the side, with the shark-tooth-face graphic, kinda telegraphs that this is not an ordinary marker. I wish they had made something more discreet. I may just try to contact the company and tell them that. Perhaps they'll change it and make a more discreet version if people indicate that they don't like the current design.

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    I may just try to contact the company and tell them that. Perhaps they'll change it and make a more discreet version if people indicate that they don't like the current design.
    You have a point (pun intended) but really, by the time someone's close enough to read what's written on the side of your pen you should be sticking them with it already.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Sounds like it's time for NY Mayor Bloomberg to set up illegal stings against office supply retailers in Virgina to keep dangerous pens off his city's streets.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    When I was in the Police Academy an instructor once said "a good cop always carries a pen". No longer a LEO I finally find out why!
    Just make sure you carry a nice metal-bodied pen, and not some cheap plastic one.

If this woman had been a , she might have died there in church, gone to heaven, and asked God, "why didn't you protect me from that man in your church?" God's reply: "I put a sharp pen in your hand. Why didn't you use it?"

Sorry, lame rip-off of the story about the man sitting on his roof during a flood, waiting for God to save him while people with boats offer to help him and are refused.

Give's a new meaning to the words "THE POWER OF THE PEN" No seriously I applaud that lady she done good
    LIFES JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE "GRAVE" SAFELY ,IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY.BUT RATHER TO SKID IN SIDEWAYS TOTALLY WORN OUT SHOUTING "HOLY S@#$...WHAT A RIDE"

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    Anyone get one of those Cold Steel "Sharkie" magic markers?
    Nope; too obvious. If you can't carry a kubotan, they're not going to believe for a second that a fine-point sharpie in an extra-bold size is anything but a weapon.

Having lost (pretty quickly and spectacularly, I might add) a couple of sparring matches to a plain unsharpened #2 pencil, I can say with certainty that pretty much any sharpie will work fine with practice. The strength of the weapon's body is nowhere near as important to a skilled user as you might expect.

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    Good for her! I would still argue about the pen being mightier then the sward. I don’t think he would have run away if she had stabbed him in the neck with a sward.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tanksoldier View Post
    You have a point (pun intended) but really, by the time someone's close enough to read what's written on the side of your pen you should be sticking them with it already.
    I was talking about raising suspicion with TSA or others. I dare say that sticking TSA employees as they approach to ask you about your big thick magic marker with the shark-face on it will make you miss your flight.

Thumbs up New York Police Arrest Suspect in Case of Woman Attacked While Praying in Church

As reported by Fox News:

New York Police Arrest Suspect in Case of Woman Attacked While Praying in Church

Friday, May 18, 2007

MIDDLETOWN, N.Y. — A widely played surveillance video of a woman in a church pew warding off an attacker with her pen led to the arrest of a 44-year-old man, police said Friday.

The unidentified 58-year-old woman was praying at the chapel of St. Joseph's Church in this Hudson Valley city early Wednesday when she fought off the attacker by stabbing him in the neck with a pen she was using to write in her journal.

The man ran off, but the incident was recorded by the church's security cameras and broadcast on local television news.

John Michael Petry was arrested Thursday evening after an off-duty firefighter spotted him riding a bike, recognized him from the news and called police, Middletown Police Lt. Paul Rickard said Friday.

The tip from firefighter Michael Benedetto was one of many police received after the video broadcasts.

"We actually had people calling saying 'Hey, I think this guy is John Petry!"' Rickard said.

Petry faces felony charges of attempted rape and sex abuse and misdemeanor charges of obstruction of governmental administration and resisting arrest. He was in jail Friday on $100,000 bail.

Petry is a former psychiatric patient who has been homeless off and on over the years and has an arrest record dating back to 1981, police said.

Middletown is 59 miles north of New York City.

The story can be found at; http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,273572,00.html

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Member Array Angel in San Antonio's Avatar

wow

i'm not going to that church

Just because the building has a cross, star of David or a crescent moon on it ensures no protection from crime or violence. In fact, one can argue in todays climate of extremist religious violence, it may increase your chances of being attacked.

Carry always.....God gave you the life you have. Wouldn't it be a shame to have it stolen from you in Gods house?
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Same crap, different day...long rap sheet, but out and about...

Judges who let these guys out should be required to open their personal homes as half-way houses...this MAY limit the number of felons running loose!

OMO

Stay armed...even in church...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Same crap, different day...long rap sheet, but out and about...

Judges who let these guys out should be required to open their personal homes as half-way houses...this MAY limit the number of felons running loose!

OMO
    Emphatic X2!
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Stay armed...even in church...stay safe!

ret
    I know I do!
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    As reported by Fox News:

New York Police Arrest Suspect in Case of Woman Attacked While Praying in Church

Friday, May 18, 2007

MIDDLETOWN, N.Y. — A widely played surveillance video of a woman in a church pew warding off an attacker with her pen led to the arrest of a 44-year-old man, police said Friday.

(snip)

The story can be found at; http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,273572,00.html

- Janq
    What a crappy news report! They give all kinds of details about the suspect and his history, but did he have a pen-shaped stab wound in his neck? How hard would that be to find out? Journalism these days is just pathetic.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links