Sex Attack Inside Church Captured On Videotape [Victim fights back FTW with a pen]

Sex Attack Inside Church Captured On Videotape [Victim fights back FTW with a pen]

This is a discussion on Sex Attack Inside Church Captured On Videotape [Victim fights back FTW with a pen] within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; As reported via KUTV: Sex Attack Inside Church Captured On Videotape (CBS) NEW YORK CITY - It's supposed to be a sanctuary, but instead a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sex Attack Inside Church Captured On Videotape [Victim fights back FTW with a pen]

Thumbs up Sex Attack Inside Church Captured On Videotape [Victim fights back FTW with a pen]

As reported via KUTV:

Sex Attack Inside Church Captured On Videotape

(CBS) NEW YORK CITY - It's supposed to be a sanctuary, but instead a New York church became perhaps the most unexpected place for a sex attack.

Middletown, N.Y. police are looking for a man who sexually assaulted a woman inside a local church -- in an act that was captured on surveillance video.

The attack happened just after midnight on Wednesday. The victim, a female volunteer at St. Joseph's Catholic Church in Middletown, was volunteering during perpetual adoration when the church is kept open for paying respect over the Eucharist.

As seen on the video, the suspect walks in and sits down in a pew. Moments later, he suddenly leaped on top of the woman, holding her down and groping her.

They struggled briefly before the victim stabbed the attacker in the neck with a pen she was carrying. The man fled and the woman called police. The entire attack happened in less than a minute.

"A crime like this has a chilling effect on the entire community. This is an active and open investigation. We're following up on every lead. Credit the victim in this case for fighting off this vicious and heinous attacker," said Middletown Police Chief Matthew Byrne.

The suspect is a white male with brown hair, about 6-feet tall and is seen in the video wearing cut-off blue-jean shorts and a red "Aeropostale" shirt.

""She was participating in perpetual adoration, which is a 24-hour watch in a Catholic chapel," Chief Byrne reiterated. ”She fought off the attacker with her pen and that was enough to buy her time and scare him off, and I credit her."

The story can be found at; http://kutv.com/topstories/local_story_137134548.html

- Janq

"Everything is a weapon." - MommaJanq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Unbelievable. At least she had the presence of mind to fight back.
    My church keeps the door locked during Eucharistic Adoration and there is a doorbell you have to ring for someone to let you in. Still, the church is in a less than desirable urban environment and you never know who may be hanging around or trying to get in, especially after hours.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

Thus we have why I carry even in church. Just because it is a church does not mean it is safe from predators. I wonder if the police chief would have been quite so complementary if the victim had pulled out her gun and shot the creep? ("Credit the victim in this case for fighting off this vicious and heinous attacker," said Middletown Police Chief Matthew Byrne.)
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Surveillance in a church? HMMM. I guess it is New York.

It would have been interesting to see what would have happened had she been armed and shot the BG.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Thats one way to get a DNA sample. Sure glad she had the pen and was able to use it.

Agreed HGJ.
    I too can only imagine what the police and other would have to say if she had shot or even stabbed to death her attacker.

In modern day America I'm sad to say with a realistic view, there is literally no absolutely safe place for everyday average citizens.
    Just in the past 6 months alone I've seen many multiple news stories of people across the country being victimized if not killed at homes in nice well to do assumedly 'low crime' areas, in towns and rural areas as well as suburbs and cities too including the less than well off be they middle class, working poor and even the destitute being victimized as prey.
    Citizens are being victimized at shopping malls, banks, schools, and even college & university buildings which were so called 'Gun Free Zones' (!). At peoples place of employment including even CNN headquarters and at the NASA Johnson Space Center. In their cars, at bars being attacked by multiples of drunken off-duty 'law enforcement officers' (!), and even there was a woman who ran for safety from her attacker to an actual police station in her community only to find it was closed offering citizens a telephone to dial 911 (!) in the event of an emergency. Her body was found in that police stations unlocked customer greeting/entryway stabbed to death.
    The victims have been of all ages and come from all socio economic backgrounds representing every race including children too.

The one common denominator that I have seen amongst this, and I know I'm preaching to the choir, is that video cameras have done nothing to help muchless save a person inthe immediate sense of danger & assault. Rarely do people have the time muchless physical ability to dial 911 prior to being attacked (assuming they even know an attack is imminent...which is very rare) muchless during an attack as they are fighting for their lives or fleeing for their lives.
    Also those who have fought back have had a great chance of survival even if they themselves take damage in the process and those who fight back while in some manner armed tend to survive as well as minimize their own physical damage.

One other thing I've noted from these news stories is that more often than not the victim who survives and if they by chance kill their attacker they themselves will be attacked and victimized a second time by the family & friends if not community of their attacker(s) if not those amongst their own community and neighbors.

As has been stated by others here many times; Anytime, anywhere.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar

At least,

She got him with the pen.Good for her!I respect a person that will fight for their freedom.The right to defend ourselves is God given.The "law" did not not give us this right and the "law' cannot take it away.I am not specifically talking about guns.Just the right to defend yourself.

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    Assaults like this is why I carry everywhere I go. Literally.

My church too, keeps the door locked outside of business hours, with a keypad combination lock. The Pastor has decreed that if someone does not know the code, they are not to be admitted. Our coordinator ensures that there are two adorers per hour, one being a man. There is also a concern for desecration of the Blessed sacrament. Coincidentally, I will be doing an hour from 4 to 5 this afternoon, and I am always armed. The door will be locked.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Go armed. Always. 'Cause you never know.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

me
    Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut View Post
    My church keeps the door locked during Eucharistic Adoration and there is a doorbell you have to ring for someone to let you in. Still, the church is in a less than desirable urban environment and you never know who may be hanging around or trying to get in, especially after hours.
    During all hours but Service times my church is locked. Even when staff is there it is locked with a doorbell on the back door. Still ministry staff does not go unless armed due to being in a rough neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by a_kayaker View Post
    Surveillance in a church? HMMM. I guess it is New York.
    Surveillance in churches is becoming more common. Many churches are starting to put cameras in pastors offices for the protection of everyone (from accusations). If you are going to put one in the pastors office why not go on and put them in a wider area of the building (Either for the same type of protection or for this type).
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    I guess the lesson for her is, "God loves you; but as far as keeping your butt safe, you're on your own!"

I wonder how she is rationalizing to herself "how this could happen" in her church?

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    I guess the lesson for her is, "God loves you; but as far as keeping your butt safe, you're on your own!"
    The old adage still holds true: God helps those who help themselves.

Conviction: faith that you can, and will, prevail when it's something worth fighting for, even if it does take a helping hand (ie, a weapon) now and then.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I stay armed for just such a reason. On the outside I am a sweet middle aged woman with a mona lisa smile, but when it comes down to defense...I am a determined women with cold steel in my hand and resolve in my heart. My life and well being (and those innocents around me) is too dear to be given to someone who has no concern for it...or theirs.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    "A crime like this has a chilling effect on the entire community. This is an active and open investigation. We're following up on every lead. Credit the victim in this case for fighting off this vicious and heinous attacker," said Middletown Police Chief Matthew Byrne.
    WHAT?? He isn't saying she should have screamed or called 911 or thrown up on him? <-- Tank's jaw drops in amazement.

Good for the victim... but now the Brady's will be calling for bans on ballpoint pens.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links