Owner shoots burglar

This is a discussion on Owner shoots burglar within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Police Investigate Early Shooting by Greg Johnston photo by Scott Barstow Published May 18, 2007 A Rochester business owner shot a burglary suspect early Friday ...

Thread: Owner shoots burglar

Owner shoots burglar

Police Investigate Early Shooting
    by Greg Johnston
    photo by Scott Barstow
    Published May 18, 2007

A Rochester business owner shot a burglary suspect early Friday morning.

Rochester police said the owner of Utility Solutions on East Main Street reported a burglary just before 2:00 Friday morning.

As he waited for police to arrive, the owner noticed someone breaking in through the repaired door.

He told investigators that he confronted the intruder, who went after him. That's when he shot the burglar in the hip.

The burglary suspect is being treated at Strong Hospital. The business owner turned over his legally registered handgun to officers.

Police have not yet released any names and say the investigation is ongoing.

2. Remove Ads

Why would he turn over his "legally registered" firearm? Is he being charged with a crime?

Good old shot to the hip. Great for anyone using a contact weapon. Bet he dropped like a rock.
    Being peaceful does not guarantee peace, strength and a willingness to commit violence when needed does.

Quote Originally Posted by markmc753 View Post
    Why would he turn over his "legally registered" firearm? Is he being charged with a crime?
    Any of the LEO's, here, should be able to fill in how this works. I believe it's standard procedure, as part of the investigation and gathering of evidence.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

"The burglary suspect is being treated at Strong Hospital. The business owner turned over his legally registered handgun to officers."

Got to disarm that law abiding citizen and leave him helpless for the next burglar.

Most of the shootings I've read about they always take the gun for evidence. If it goes to trail many things could be looked at.

If the gun was unsafe then they may charge the shooter with manslaughter, saying it was actually an AD.

They may try to make the shooter look like a Rambo wannabe if he loaded his own ammo.

It may help to collaborate the shooters story or prove that they are lying.

Just another reason to have more than one gun.
    Being peaceful does not guarantee peace, strength and a willingness to commit violence when needed does.

update. intruder charged. Owner/shooter not charged but referred to grand jury (standard procedure here).

Shot intruder is charged

Victoria E. Freile
    Staff writer

(May 22, 2007) — A city man who was shot in the hip after a break-in at a city store last week is facing burglary charges.

Clayton Walker, 41, of 25 Webster Crescent, was charged with third-degree burglary, a felony, Rochester Police Officer Deidre Taccone said Monday.

A 58-year-old man, who owns the involved business, shot Walker in the hip at 1144 E. Main St. at 4:15 a.m. Friday, nearly 2½ hours after a break-in was reported at the store, city police officers said. Walker entered the store and came at the business owner, who was waiting for officers to arrive to search for evidence, such as fingerprints, Taccone said.

Officers have not released the name of the store owner. Officers said he shot Walker with a registered handgun and called 911.

The business owner turned over his gun to officers at the scene.

Walker was on the court calendar for an arraignment on Monday. On Friday, Walker was transported to Strong Memorial Hospital for treatment of injuries that did not appear to be life-threatening.

A hospital spokeswoman said she could not release any information on Walker.

Taccone said officers have not filed charges against the business owner and have referred the case to a grand jury.

Another good ending...glad another 'dirtbag' has to face the music...and it's probably all he'll get..."Listen to 10 Lawrence Welk songs and then released"...that could be pretty tough tough...

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    Hope it all turns out well for the store owner.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

Quote Originally Posted by markmc753 View Post
    That is mainly dependent on jurisdictional requirements. Especially if there is going to be an ongoing investigation as to whether further charges are filed. Often times it is just not possible to have all the facts during the initial investigation at the crime scene to make the determination of whether the gun owner should be allowed to keep his weapon.

It is pretty much standard operating procedure in most jurisdictions although there have been cases where the firearm has not been confiscated.

Most times the firearm will be returned if incident is ruled justifiable. I say most times, because there have been cases where no charges have been filed against the shooter and yet they have kept the gun for various other reasons.

All of this is a good example why people should own more than one defensive weapon.

(My basic attitude is, If I lose my $600 gun after a shooting incident... well it wasn't a bad investment in keeping me alive and still being able to breathe. The gun can be replaced, my life is a one time shot only! No refunds, No replacement!)
    Last edited by Bark'n; May 26th, 2007 at 09:56 AM.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I would be surprised if they didn't take the firearm for evidence until the BG is convicted.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

That's why I keep a couple hi-points around because there great guns and at 130 bucks I can afford to let the police take it.

Saving money is good!

Administrator
    If I am ever involved in a shooting, I want the police to take my gun. In fact I would insist that they take it, until its all over.

That way I cant be accused of altering anything, and its sealed as it was right after the shooting. Any evidence that will prove my actions honorable I want protected.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Links