New To The Board- My Story

This is a discussion on New To The Board- My Story within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Welcome...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New To The Board- My Story

Welcome
    LIFES JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE "GRAVE" SAFELY ,IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY.BUT RATHER TO SKID IN SIDEWAYS TOTALLY WORN OUT SHOUTING "HOLY S@#$...WHAT A RIDE"

2. Remove Ads

I'm not so sure about that, ExSoldier.. from what I've been told be a few different LEO's here in Panama City, you can use any means necessary to defend your property here so long as you have "reason", and in the words of a lieutenant here, "reason" was classified as simply "exchanging words" with an individual, who then sets foot on your property and can be shot down like a dog.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/...776/Sec013.HTM

776.013 Home protection; use of deadly force; presumption of fear of death or great bodily harm.--

(1) A person is presumed to have held a reasonable fear of imminent peril of death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another when using defensive force that is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm to another if:

(a) The person against whom the defensive force was used was in the process of unlawfully and forcefully entering, or had unlawfully and forcibly entered, a dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle, or if that person had removed or was attempting to remove another against that person's will from the dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle; and

(b) The person who uses defensive force knew or had reason to believe that an unlawful and forcible entry or unlawful and forcible act was occurring or had occurred.

(2) The presumption set forth in subsection (1) does not apply if:

(a) The person against whom the defensive force is used has the right to be in or is a lawful resident of the dwelling, residence, or vehicle, such as an owner, lessee, or titleholder, and there is not an injunction for protection from domestic violence or a written pretrial supervision order of no contact against that person; or

(b) The person or persons sought to be removed is a child or grandchild, or is otherwise in the lawful custody or under the lawful guardianship of, the person against whom the defensive force is used; or

(c) The person who uses defensive force is engaged in an unlawful activity or is using the dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle to further an unlawful activity; or

(d) The person against whom the defensive force is used is a law enforcement officer, as defined in s. 943.10(14), who enters or attempts to enter a dwelling, residence, or vehicle in the performance of his or her official duties and the officer identified himself or herself in accordance with any applicable law or the person using force knew or reasonably should have known that the person entering or attempting to enter was a law enforcement officer.

(3) A person who is not engaged in an unlawful activity and who is attacked in any other place where he or she has a right to be has no duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground and meet force with force, including deadly force if he or she reasonably believes it is necessary to do so to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.

(4) A person who unlawfully and by force enters or attempts to enter a person's dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle is presumed to be doing so with the intent to commit an unlawful act involving force or violence.

(5) As used in this section, the term:

(a) "Dwelling" means a building or conveyance of any kind, including any attached porch, whether the building or conveyance is temporary or permanent, mobile or immobile, which has a roof over it, including a tent, and is designed to be occupied by people lodging therein at night.

(b) "Residence" means a dwelling in which a person resides either temporarily or permanently or is visiting as an invited guest.

(c) "Vehicle" means a conveyance of any kind, whether or not motorized, which is designed to transport people or property.
    If this story were to apply to me, on my land, and I had TOLD them to leave, and they stated that I should leave in a threatening manner, and then started to advance me, and another with his hand on a weapon (hunting knife) would have been enough in my opinion. Not to mention the A-holes were in a stolen truck to begin with... not that this was noted beforehand.

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Welcome. Glad it turned out right.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Senior Member Array BruceGibson's Avatar
    Welcome! And very well done.

Good job. Welcome to the forum from western OK.

If I had to do it over I would not have done anything different, I had enough distance between us that they could not have got too close to me being on horseback. If I had fired I might not be typing this now, the civil outcome could have been a nightmare. I knew that I could "get away safely"
    To carrying the "Glock" I do while I ride mostly due to the dust and I don't have the tender feeling about it that I do for my Swenson 1911 of 35 Years Old.
    And YES I do have a single action 45 Colt!
    Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Lenahorse View Post
    I had carried my Glock 32 on my right hip, already drawn. I rode to the gate some distance behind them and got the license number and called it in, their truck was stolen ...
    Good on ya.

Could easily have blown sideways. All signals were firing. All it would have taken to have a very bad day is if one of them had pulled a high-cyclic-rate unit out of the car and started blasting. They were criminals; that could easily have occurred, had they been the ruthless type. Got to love the factors of a 100# dog, horse, gun and a clear eye. It should make folks think twice.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Welcome Tex, Well Done.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Smith&Wessonfan View Post
    You may want to start carrying an AR15 carbine or the like on your rides.

Nothing says GTFO better than 30 rounds of 5.56 or 7.62X39.
    Ditto, sounds like it's time to add a scabbard and a long gun to your rig.

Welcome to the forum!

Welcome, Nice outcome.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by jdlv4_0 View Post
    Ditto, sounds like it's time to add a scabbard and a long gun to your rig.

Welcome to the forum!
    That sounds like a prudent measure. Heck, you COULD use it for feral dogs/coyotes/ pests.
    For MN specific carry information and a great shooting community, check out forum.twincitiescarry.com

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenahorse View Post
    I rode to the gate some distance behind them and got the license number and called it in, their truck was stolen, the next day I was contacted to identify pictures of 2 of them, they were arrested after a local armed robbery.
    Brother, YOU ROCK!!!!!

GREAT JOB!!

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I have some of the same issues on my step dad's place down at Hugo OK . He has several nice ponds , as well as a river running thro the property . It does make for some interesting discussions about the rights of landowners from time to time . Up here in CO all i have to worry about is opening weekend(s) of various hunting seasons .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links