New To The Board- My Story - Page 3

New To The Board- My Story

This is a discussion on New To The Board- My Story within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Cool Story!! Welcome from us here in Ohio!...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Cool Story!! Welcome from us here in Ohio!
    I wear a seatbelt, but I hope to never need it, I use smoke detectors in my house, but I hope to never need them, I carry life insurance, but I hope to never need it, I carry a weapon, but I hope to never need it.

VIP Member
    From West Louisiana I'll say "hey neighbor".

Good job with those guys! Your horse and dog were good backups for you as well. Is your horse and dog accustomed to hearing gunfire, if not how do you think they'd react?

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    Walcome, and great job.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

VIP Member
    WHEW! Welcome and very good job!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Not that I'm advocating anything illegal here, but it sounds like this guy has a very large amount of property. If some trespassers were to be shot, and then quietly buried, who would ever found out?

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    dwolsten - We call that the three S's here in Texas

Shoot
    Shovel
    Shut-up

Welcome to the board Lenahorse!!
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Welcome from a fellow East Texan.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenahorse View Post
    I live in a rural area in East TX. We have several ponds on our land, I was checking cattle on horseback one afternoon and noticed 3 men fishing in our south pond. I rode closer to them and asked them what they are doing here, this is private property? Their responce was ("Fool what does it look like we are doing? Were fishing if you didn't know) I told them that this was private property and they would have to leave. "We have not caught any fish yet, were not ready to leave, you need to leave Tex" at that time they started to spread out on two sides of me, 1 had a hunting knife on his belt with his hand on it. Then 1 of them noticed and said "he's got a gun! I knew that they could not catch me on my horse but it worried me quite a bit. About that time my 100# german shepherd showed up and they said something to the effect of we might not be on our friends property after all, were leaving. I had carried my Glock 32 on my right hip, already drawn. I rode to the gate some distance behind them and got the license number and called it in, their truck was stolen, the next day I was contacted to identify pictures of 2 of them, they were arrested after a local armed robbery.
    Holy Smokes! This just makes me state the obvious..when you need a gun, Man oh Man do you need a gun! While confronted with freakin' bank robbers, thank God you were armed, and had canine back-up and thank God you weren't hurt, and thank God they caught the low lives. Great story.

Quote Originally Posted by Smith&Wessonfan View Post
    You may want to start carrying an AR15 carbine or the like on your rides.

Nothing says GTFO better than 30 rounds of 5.56 or 7.62X39.
    I'd also say that's a good idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan H View Post
    http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/...776/Sec013.HTM

If this story were to apply to me, on my land, and I had TOLD them to leave, and they stated that I should leave in a threatening manner, and then started to advance me, and another with his hand on a weapon (hunting knife) would have been enough in my opinion. Not to mention the A-holes were in a stolen truck to begin with... not that this was noted beforehand.
    I think the key word here are 'Forcibly entered'. Trespassing on land doesn't here unless they broke down a fence or gate to get in. Also it appears to refer to dwellings or conveyances.

So, as far as I can interpret the law quoted above, it would not have applied here.

Also, the Texas statutes IIRC have TWO sections, one refering to day and one referring to night. the ones referring to day say something like 'use of force is justified....'. The ones rerring to night say 'Use of Deadly force'. So, shooting a trespasser in daylight is not quite so cut and dried, even in the great state of Texas.

As for 'if it was me I would have opened fire', that home you vowed to protect may end up belonging to your lawyer or intruder. Always something to remember.

All that said, nice work LenaHorse. Situation defused.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Welcome!Good job

Welcome to the board ! I have the same problem with both fishermen and deer poachers. We have a large tank that is visable from the road, and the temptation is just too much for for some. The property is clearly posted, so there is no reason for anyone to be there without permission. I don't confront trespassers anymore - it's too dangerous. I have, however shot several radiators and several tires. They don't know who did it, and they have a long walk for help.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links