Burglary Suspect Shot, Killed by GPD Officer

This is a discussion on Burglary Suspect Shot, Killed by GPD Officer within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The following story involves a teaching partner at my high school. It is her best friend who had her home broken into by a 'dirtbag' ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Burglary Suspect Shot, Killed by GPD Officer

Burglary Suspect Shot, Killed by GPD Officer

The following story involves a teaching partner at my high school. It is her best friend who had her home broken into by a 'dirtbag' with many 'priors'...this has proven to be his last...
    My cohort was a little shaken this morning as she could easily have been there. At least the story has a 'happy' ending!

ret

By NATHAN CRABBE

Sun staff writer
    May 23. 2007 6:01AM

A Gainesville police officer shot and killed a burglary suspect with a long criminal record Tuesday morning in northeast Gainesville.

Police say a woman called at 10:32 a.m. from her home at 1106 NE 9th Ave. to report the place was being burglarized. As the woman stayed on the line in a locked bedroom, Gainesville Police Officer Dan Surrency responded within two minutes, said Lt. Keith Kameg, spokesman for the Gainesville Police Department.

Surrency arrived to find suspect Tonnie Sylvester, 49, of Gainesville at the back door. He said the officer gave Sylvester several opportunities to surrender before getting into a "life and death struggle" with him in the kitchen of the home.

After Sylvester went for the officer's gun, Surrency shot the unarmed Sylvester once in the upper chest, Kameg said. Sylvester was brought to Shands at the University of Florida and pronounced dead at 11:50 a.m.

Surrency has been with the department since May 2005. Under department policy, he was placed on paid leave for three days as the shooting is investigated. But Kameg said initial reports suggest Surrency acted in self-defense.

"We're in the process of going through all that," he said. "It appears the shooting was brought upon by the actions of Sylvester."

Sylvester has been convicted 13 times since 1987 for crimes ranging from grand theft to burglary of an occupied structure, according to Florida Department of Corrections records. He was released from prison in 2005 after serving more than 15 years for burglary, theft and battery on a law enforcement officer.

Kameg said Sylvester had been arrested five times since his release for alleged violations including burglary and drug charges.

"He was in essence a one-person crime wave and he had no fear of law enforcement," he said.

Surrency suffered minor injuries to his hand in the scuffle and was treated on scene. He is being represented in the investigation by Gainesville attorney Rod Smith, a former state senator and state attorney.

Smith released a statement saying Surrency "acted in accordance with state law and departmental regulations and is voluntarily assisting in the investigation.

"I am confident his actions will be determined to have been required, measured and appropriate," Smith said in the statement. "I have advised Officer Surrency to make no public statements until this investigation is closed."

The woman who called police from her home, Heather Bruneau, declined comment. A man staying in the home at the time - who was locked in another room during the shooting, according to police - also declined comment.

Kameg said Sylvester appears to have forced open a locked back door to enter the home. Police records show the home has been the site of at least one other burglary in recent years, in August 2004.

A group home for the developmentally disabled is located across the street. Workers there said the thick brush around the burglarized home has made it a target in the past.

"There's so many trees that you don't see anything," said Eve Shade, 25, who works at the group home.

Another worker at the group home, Darrell Mobley, 38, said he watched the officer speed up to the home and assumed he was in the middle of a traffic stop. Moments later, he said, he heard the gunshot.

"It happened so quick," he said.

The shooting marks the first time a Gainesville officer has fatally shot someone since 2003.

Kameg said Surrency gave Sylvester multiple chances to surrender before shooting. The officer's quick arrival on the scene might have prevented Sylvester from harming the people in the home, he said.

"The only fortunate thing that happened there is Surrency got there before (the suspect) got to the victims," he said.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like some scum off the street. Good for the officer. He had one heck of a response time too.

A kitchen is not a place I would want to get in a serious struggle in.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Police say a woman called at 10:32 a.m. from her home at 1106 NE 9th Ave. to report the place was being burglarized.
    Great, give out the exact address to any potential burglar who might want to hit it before the lock and/or door frame are replaced. The block number alone would have sufficed.

Sylvester has been convicted 13 times since 1987 for crimes ranging from grand theft to burglary of an occupied structure, according to Florida Department of Corrections records. He was released from prison in 2005 after serving more than 15 years for burglary, theft and battery on a law enforcement officer.

Kameg said Sylvester had been arrested five times since his release for alleged violations including burglary and drug charges.

"He was in essence a one-person crime wave and he had no fear of law enforcement," he said.
    And why would he? Five arrests including burglary in the last two years and he was back on the streets again; doesn't sound like there was much to instill any fear in him.

JD
    Administrator

Thumbs up

That many arrests and who knows how many parole violations and he was still loose?

Wait for it.....

Patience...

HERE IT IS!

Another one bites the dust
    And another one gone, and another one gone
    Hey, I'm gonna get you too

Assistant Administrator
    "He WAS in essence a one-person crime wave and he had no fear of law enforcement''
    Surprised his ''career'' lasted as long as it did ..... but there are way too many such who seem to be out on the streets more than serving jail time.

Yes - response time was excellent, which was a good thing.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Response time "2 minutes." If I was just entering the beginning of my driveway I might be able to get to the back porch by then!!!
    "Beware of the man who only owns one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

Administrator
    Good for the Officer. Its a scary thing to be wrestling with someone and they go for your gun.

I feel bad for the homeowner too. I would not want to live in that home anymore. I hope the shot didnt go into the floor, as its Florida I'm sure the floor is tile. That can be a PIA to replace/repair.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I talked to my teaching cohort this morning. Her girlfriend and her husband spent all day yesterday cleaning up the blood in their kitchen...the BG was shot in the heart and bled out on their floor...obviously they are pretty shook up!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Glad that the policeman and the lady in the house are OK. The gene pool is cleaner.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I feel bad for the homeowner too. I would not want to live in that home anymore. I hope the shot didnt go into the floor, as its Florida I'm sure the floor is tile. That can be a PIA to replace/repair.
    Huh? Tile is easy to repair. Just use a cold chisel and knock out the old one, and put in a new one and grout. The trick is to make sure to keep some extra pieces for every room, because you'll probably never find that exact style/color/pattern again, years after installing it.

The problem with continuing to live in that house, as another poster pointed out, is that the stupid news media reported the exact address of the house.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdlv4_0 View Post
    That many arrests and who knows how many parole violations and he was still loose?
    Here is his record
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    WOW! The officer didn't kill one guy, he killed 9 in one shooting.

Aliases:
    TONNIE LEE
    MEGA SYLVESTER
    TONNIE LEE SYLVESTER
    TONNIE M SYLVESTER
    TONNIE MEGA SYLVESTER
    TONNIE MEGO SYLVESTER
    TONY SYLVESTER
    TONY MEGOR SYLVESTER

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by jdlv4_0 View Post
    WOW! The officer didn't kill one guy, he killed 9 in one shooting.
    Must have been a .45!
    "Just blame Sixto"

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by dwolsten View Post
    Huh? Tile is easy to repair. Just use a cold chisel and knock out the old one, and put in a new one and grout. The trick is to make sure to keep some extra pieces for every room, because you'll probably never find that exact style/color/pattern again, years after installing it.

The problem with continuing to live in that house, as another poster pointed out, is that the stupid news media reported the exact address of the house.
    Yeah, I guess your right. That would be better than wood, vinyl or replacing carpet.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar
    And another one's gone,
    And another one's gone,
    Another one bites the dust.
    Hey Hey!!
    Wonder if Sylvester is gonna meet the late Tweety Bird where he is going? More gene pool cleanser.
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links