Somebody Order a Pizza?

Somebody Order a Pizza?

This is a discussion on Somebody Order a Pizza? within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Pizza (delivery) man, robber exchange gunfire [Charlotte, NC] News14Carolina ^ | 4/14/2005 CHARLOTTE, N.C. – A pizza delivery driver is recovering after being robbed and ...

Thread: Somebody Order a Pizza?

Somebody Order a Pizza?

Pizza (delivery) man, robber exchange gunfire [Charlotte, NC]
    News14Carolina ^ | 4/14/2005

CHARLOTTE, N.C. – A pizza delivery driver is recovering after being robbed and shot Wednesday night at the Winter Woods apartment complex in south Charlotte. Police say a suspect approached the driver, demanded money and shot him in the shoulder.

The Papa John's employee was also armed and fired a shot at the robber in self-defense, but police say carrying a gun might not be the best course of action for delivery drivers.

“Our thoughts and prayers are with Bobby Martin and his family right now,” said Bobby Meroney, director of operations of Papa John’s in Charlotte. “We wish him speedy recovery.”

Bobby Martin, the 41-year-old driver for a Papa John's restaurant on Sharon Road West, remains in fair condition after taking a bullet in the shoulder. Although he missed, Martin also fired a shot at the suspect with a gun he took on the delivery.

While it is not against North Carolina law for him to carry an unconcealed weapon, it is against Papa John's policy.

“We have rules posted in the stores constantly reminding about the security issues out there,” Meroney said.

Gun shop owner Larry Hyatt says the people that make such rules “are not out there delivering the pizzas, they are sitting in the corporate office.” In fact, he says more and more business people are buying handguns, especially those who travel alone or at night.

“The big corporations are afraid of lawsuits so they don't want their employees to have any kind of weapon for self-defense,” Hyatt said.

Police say the best defense for someone in Martin’s situation is no defense at all. Recently, in a similar case, the pizza delivery man involved sensed something was wrong. He never made the delivery; instead he tracked down the police.

“Our officers posed as that delivery person, went to that location and arrested a couple of subjects,” said Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department spokesman Keith Bridges.

While Martin recovers, Papa John's says it is working with police and is also in the midst of an internal investigation.

“We're going to look out for the team member, but anytime an accident happens on the job, it's a shame,” Meroney said.

Papa John's will not say whether Martin will be fired for violating company policy for carrying a weapon on the job.

Police are still looking for the suspect involved in this shooting
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Talking

Yep, they'll wish him a speedy recovery.....then fire his butt!! We've hit on the topic of "Company Policy" and carrying on another thread, but this is one of those cases, in my opinion, that company policy is totally wrong...I understand at least the rationale behind such policy in the company facility, but certainly not beyond their doors....I think the pizza guy was right in trying to defend himself...however, sounds like he needs some "range time" !

Administrator

OK Folks

I am betting you can read my mind on this one.
    In case you can't...here is what I would probably do in that situation.

$$!! :dugf: Bye~Bye!
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

DC Founder
    You must have the location of all of those smilies memorized to be able to put those together, QK....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Administrator

Help Me!

A Smilie Addiction.

DC Founder
    Are you asking for an "intervention"?? :3schild40
    Bumper

Administrator

No Intervention!

MORE SMILIES! ............I NEED MORE!

DC Founder
    I may have to take a day and delete all of the smilies, remove all of the dupes and then re-add them. I still get some weird things happen when I get close to getting them all loaded to the little window....
    Bumper

Administrator

Thumbs up Just Joshing

There are more than enough assorted ridiculous animated little thingies to keep me busy for awhile.

My son once worked part-time as a pizza deliveryperson; I really worried . . . He had, hoever, learned a few things from the ol' man. On a couple of occasions, the delivery addresses didn't "feel" right when he got to the neighborhood. Oh, well, guess maybe someone hadda patronize the competition. Too bad!!

Sponsored Links