Amputee Uses Crutch to Fight Off Gunmen

This is a discussion on Amputee Uses Crutch to Fight Off Gunmen within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Found this in the Bismarck Tribune : AURORA, Colo. - An amputee who discovered a burglar inside his home was shot while fighting him off ...

Thread: Amputee Uses Crutch to Fight Off Gunmen

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar

Amputee Uses Crutch to Fight Off Gunmen

Found this in the Bismarck Tribune:

AURORA, Colo. - An amputee who discovered a burglar inside his home was shot while fighting him off with a crutch. Roger Baxter survived the Tuesday incident after a cell phone apparently slowed a bullet to his chest. "I just got it programmed," Baxter said of the phone.

Baxter lost his right leg after being hit by a tractor-trailer in October. He was returning from getting a haircut when he discovered the man with a gun inside his house.

"He was pointing it at me," Baxter told KDVR-TV. "He kept coming toward me and he got within 5 foot of me and that's when I hauled off and hit him with one of my crutches."

Aurora police spokesman Robert Friel said Baxter was wounded in the upper torso after the bullet hit the phone.

Friel said two juveniles were arrested, one believed to be the suspect in the attack and the other believed to have been a lookout. Their names have not been released.

"It's not my time," said Baxter, a Vietnam veteran. "I went head to head against a semi back in October and today I went up against a 9 mm and I'm here. I'm just a tough old bird."
    Glad this guy is alright and the PD caught the BG's. I just wouldn't want to be on this guy's bad side because any man that takes a crutch to a gunfight and isn't in critical condition afterwards is one tough...well whatever adjetive you want to use.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotaranger View Post
    Found this in the Bismarck Tribune:

Glad this guy is alright and the PD caught the BG's. I just wouldn't want to be on this guy's bad side because any man that takes a crutch to a gunfight and isn't in critical condition afterwards is one tough...well whatever adjetive you want to use.
    I'm thinkin I wouldn't want to be standing next to this guy in the grocery lline... He just got hit by a tractor-trailer in October...now being shot. Hmm, bad luck?
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Guy I went to college with had a tragic accident after he graduated and was left in a wheelchair. He turned into a real MEAN drunk. Well he was a real mean drunk before...now just on wheels. He used to fight when he could walk but after the accident he did two things: He loosened one of the armrests on h is chair so he could whip it off and swing it like a club. Also for those more intense situations, he started carrying a small 38 under his leg. Never heard what became of him.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Roger Baxter for President!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Links