4 armed robbers, 2 clerks with 1 gun; BGs lose bad

This is a discussion on 4 armed robbers, 2 clerks with 1 gun; BGs lose bad within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pb...D=200770527009 Store clerk kills teen, wounds another in Jackson robbery The Clarion-Ledger One suspected robber was killed and another wounded during a robbery of a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4 armed robbers, 2 clerks with 1 gun; BGs lose bad

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

4 armed robbers, 2 clerks with 1 gun; BGs lose bad

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pb...D=200770527009

Store clerk kills teen, wounds another in Jackson robbery
    The Clarion-Ledger

One suspected robber was killed and another wounded during a robbery of a store early this morning, according to a Jackson Police Department news release.

Four men entered the store at 4564 Bullard St. about 1:15 a.m. Two of the suspects were carrying pistols and two were carrying shotguns. There were two clerks and no customers in the store at the time.

A tussle occurred between one of the clerks and two of the suspects. The clerk was able to take one of the pistols away from a robber and the suspects tried to flee.

One of the clerks then produced a large-caliber handgun of his own and opened fire, hitting two of the suspects, the release said.

Deonta Thomas, 17, of Jackson was pronounced dead at the scene from a gunshot wound to the chest. The second wounded suspect was identified as Ryaneal Campbell, 16, of Jackson, who suffered a gunshot wound to his right leg.

The other two suspects left running on foot and are still at large.

Campbell was taken to the University of Mississippi Medical Center. He will be arrested on suspicion of armed robbery of a business when he gets released, according to JPD.

No charges are being brought against the store clerks, the release said.

Money taken in the robbery was recovered at the scene. There is security video of the incident but it has not been made public.

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pb...=2007705280363

Clerk at store kills teen armed robber
    By rew Nelson
    ajnelson@clarionledger.com

A 17-year-old Jackson resident was killed and a 16-year-old wounded in the armed robbery of a convenience store early Sunday.

Deonta Thomas of Jackson was pronounced dead at the scene from a gunshot wound to the chest. Ryaneal Campbell, also of Jackson, was wounded in the right leg and hospitalized.

The two were among four males who entered the Super 7 Gas convenience store at 4564 Bullard St., armed with handguns and shotguns, and tried to rob the business, according to the Jackson Police Department.

The two teenagers were shot by an unidentified clerk, who has not been charged.

According to JPD, the four entered the store, located on the northeast corner of Boling and Bullard streets about 1:15 a.m. Two were carrying pistols, and two were carrying shotguns. There were two clerks and no customers in the store at the time.

There was a struggle between one of the clerks and two of the suspects, according to police, and the clerk was able to wrest the pistol away from one of the robbers. The suspects tried to flee. One of the clerks then fired a large-caliber handgun, hitting Thomas and Campbell, police said.

The other two suspects ran off and were still at large Sunday evening.

Campbell was taken to the University of Mississippi Medical Center. He will be arrested on suspicion of armed robbery of a business when he is released, according to JPD.

Money taken in the robbery was recovered at the scene, police said. Surveillance video of the incident was recorded but has not been made public.

Sunday evening, a woman who identified herself as the manager of the store would not comment.

Darryl Beacham, who was filling a Ford van with gas outside, said the the shootings were a tragedy but the clerks had a right to defend themselves.

"Somebody comes in, wants to rob you, you give them money, they might leave, (but) they still might kill you," he said. "It's ... happened plenty of times."

Bobby Singh, 42, the owner of Fuel Time on the other side of Bullard Street, said the neighborhood is generally safe. But he takes precautions. He said tells the night crew not to go outside and to keep the door to the area behind the counter, which is protected by bulletproof glass, locked.

"This area is not bad," he said. "We've had one year here of business. People are very friendly. They never steal or anything."

But he agreed with Beacham. Clerks in Jackson have been killed even after cooperating with robbers. And such incidents have left some of those behind the counters at convenience stores frightened. So it may not surprising that at least one of the employees had a gun available.

"What happened last night was completely natural," he said.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    ''Large Caliber" .......... hmmm, the way press operates that could a .22!

But am thinking just maybe .44 mag spoke justice.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Deonta Thomas, 17, of Jackson was pronounced dead at the scene from a gunshot wound to the chest.
    The second wounded suspect ... will be arrested on suspicion of armed robbery of a business when he gets released, according to JPD.
    If someone died during the commission of his crime due to his crew's actions, IMO he should be arrested for murder.

Interesting comparison between this story and the one the other day. In this one, clerks shooting fleeing suspects apparently won't get charged. In the other, someone shooting a fleeing suspect gets arrested and charged with attempted murder. Moral of the story: sometimes, you never know how a given D.A. / Grand Jury will see things.

I'd like to think the factors were unassailable: 4-on-2; likely still armed (amongst the four of the BG's); attempted to shoot; were still in the room. That really should be good enough to be at risk of death by the BG's, running across the room or not.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; June 1st, 2007 at 09:27 AM. Reason: spellin'
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Moderator
    I'm glad they have a reasonble DA there.
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Good ending to what could have been nasty. 4 armed men is very sticky no matter how you slice it. That unarmed clerk has some serious brass ones to try to wrestle a pistol away from the guy pointing it at him. I'll bet he's having a little heart-to-heart with his fellow clerk about getting a CCW.

I'd be interested to know more, and see the security video. If the BG's were "fleeing" and still shooting at the clerks, or even if they were still armed while heading for the door, that may be why the DA isn't pushing it. I trust we all remember the video of the guy running full tilt, and firing his pistol behind his back at pursuing officers.

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Bobby Singh, 42, the owner of Fuel Time on the other side of Bullard Street, said the neighborhood is generally safe. ...

"This area is not bad," he said. "We've had one year here of business. People are very friendly. They never steal or anything."
    Why on earth would a clerk carry a gun in a safe neighborhood? He must've been looking for trouble, since nothing bad ever happens there!

Seriously, though: Good for the clerks Ditto the comment about brass ones. And as for me, I'm gonna keep carrying when I walk around "safe suburbia."
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by LBrombach View Post
    Why on earth would a clerk carry a gun in a safe neighborhood? He must've been looking for trouble, since nothing bad ever happens there!

Seriously, though: Good for the clerks Ditto the comment about brass ones. And as for me, I'm gonna keep carrying when I walk around "safe suburbia."
    It only makes safe suburbia even more safer!
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    ''Large Caliber" .......... hmmm, the way press operates that could a .22!

But am thinking just maybe .44 mag spoke justice.
    If he was shooting a .44 thats some good shot placement on 4 armed thugs with good 2nd shot recovery being able to hit 2 out of 4.
    Last edited by Rob99VMI04; June 1st, 2007 at 10:55 AM.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I think P95's sig line is VERY applicable here:

"If a BG dies as the result of pointing a gun at me, then he has merely succumbed to an occupational hazard of being a thug."

I always smile when I hear about these jerks panicing when they realize "Oh crap, this guys got a gun, too!" They either bumble themselves or run like hell.

ccw9mm brought up an interesting point about shooting fleeing suspects. I don't want to see this thread head down that road again... but all the perp has to be doing is pointing his weapon in your general direction... BUT this does seem to be more of a trend.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Senior Moderator
    It's always refreshing to hear the stories where the good-guys win!

Glad the good guys won. The gene pool is cleaner.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Darryl Beacham, who was filling a Ford van with gas outside, said the the shootings were a tragedy but the clerks had a right to defend themselves.

"Somebody comes in, wants to rob you, you give them money, they might leave, (but) they still might kill you," he said. "It's ... happened plenty of times."

Bobby Singh, 42, the owner of Fuel Time on the other side of Bullard Street, said the neighborhood is generally safe. But he takes precautions. He said tells the night crew not to go outside and to keep the door to the area behind the counter, which is protected by bulletproof glass, locked.

But he agreed with Beacham. Clerks in Jackson have been killed even after cooperating with robbers. And such incidents have left some of those behind the counters at convenience stores frightened. So it may not surprising that at least one of the employees had a gun available.

"What happened last night was completely natural," he said.

The world is finally starting to wake up from this liberal-induced insanity that had everyone believing -- actually believing -- that the thing to do when confronted with evil was to cooperate with it, and count on its better nature that it wouldn't harm you.

We here have always known that you must fight evil when it tries to victimize you. Now, it seems, more people are understanding that. This is heartening news.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    Good ending to what could have been nasty. 4 armed men is very sticky no matter how you slice it.

I'm slightly amazed at the fact that if all four came in armed with firearms, that there wasn't a back-and-forth volley after the struggle began.

Perhaps all or some of the guns brought by the thugs were fake, or unloaded, or pellet guns? Why would the only actual bullets fired have been from the clerk when five people had guns in the incident?

And don't get me wrong -- I'm fine with the clerk shooting robbers even if all they had were airsoft guns. Zero tolerance for violent crime, man. I'll have none of it.

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    If someone died during the commission of his crime due to his crew's actions, IMO he should be arrested for murder.

Interesting comparison between this story and the one the other day. In this one, clerks shooting fleeing suspects apparently won't get charged. In the other, someone shooting a fleeing suspect gets arrested and charged with attempted murder. Moral of the story: sometimes, you never know how a given D.A. / Grand Jury will see things.
    I was thinking exactly the same thing. This story is virtually identical to the previous yet the reaction is completley different. In the first, the suspect was fleeing and some were very agitated that the clerk fired. In this one, the suspect(s) were fleeing, the clerk shot and he is hailed as a hero. Yea, good guy clerk. Boo, bad guy clerk.

Which is it? Is it acceptable to fire if there is no longer a threat? Can a threat be determined by reading a newspaper article?

When someone is killed I would expect that a complete investigation should follow.

Simple wording can certainly change one's mind. "He died of a chest wound." implies a shot to the upper torso from in front. Isn't it also the case that if you shot someone in the back they would also die from a chest wound?

Maybe he was fleeing by running backwards...

I think both clerks deserve to be considered innocent until proven guilty and in both cases criminal scumbags were killed in the commission of their potentially deadly crime.

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    Like to see a follow-up on this article. Have seen several times where the clerk was fired for his actions. If anything the company owner should reward him for protecting himself and the business.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links