Akron, Ohio CHL holder uses firearm to defend himself

This is a discussion on Akron, Ohio CHL holder uses firearm to defend himself within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.ohioccw.org/content/view/3882/83/ There has been yet another incident of a legally licensed citizen that successfully used their concealed handgun to end a deadly threat situation. It ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Akron, Ohio CHL holder uses firearm to defend himself

http://www.ohioccw.org/content/view/3882/83/

There has been yet another incident of a legally licensed citizen that successfully used their concealed handgun to end a deadly threat situation. It is being reported by The Cleveland Plain Dealer that Raphael L. Owens was approached in the Akron area by four armed robbers and used his legal firearm to diffuse the situation and save his life.

Akron man with concealed gun shoots at robbers
    Posted by Donna J. Miller June 01, 2007

A man legally carrying a concealed handgun shot at an armed robber in Akron.

Four teenagers approached 24-year-old Raphael L. Owens at about 11:30 Wednesday night near the corner of Elmore Avenue and South Portage Path. One pointed a chrome-plated gun at Owens and demanded his cell phone. Owens gave up the phone.

The robber then asked, "what else do you have?"

Owens tried to run, but the robber grabbed his arm. Owens broke free, pulled out his own gun and fired one shot, missing the teens, who took off running.

They ran south on Elmore while Owens ran toward a pay phone. When he got to Grand Avenue at West Exchange Street, he saw the suspects up the street, at Grand and South Portage Path. Again, one teen leveled a gun at him. Again, Owens fired a shot and missed.

The suspects fled as Owens called police from the pay phone at West Exchange and Dodge Avenue. ...

Thankfully, Mr. Owens survived this mortal threat and the situation was diffused with no physical injuries. I imagine that these four criminals will be thinking twice before approaching their next intended victim. As Ohio is one of 48 states that recognize a law-abiding citizen's right to self-defense, armed robbers are now not guaranteed to be the only person carrying a gun on our streets.
    Ohio does seem to be having a fair number of CHL holder's defend themselves these days. Too bad he missed, the gene pool could use more chlorine, glad he is alive though.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    Mr Owens could use some more training (his gene pool cleaning average is quite low), but other than that Bravo Zulu!

VIP Member
    Practice practice practice!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

VIP Member
    Seems to me when the guy asked "what else do you have", it would be the perfect opportunity to say " I've got my billfold" (or something relative to where his gun was )to reach for his gun instead. Each incident is different, but I think I'd cherrish the opportunity to have permission to reach for something..
    Bravo for him it worked out...

Seems like (and I wasn't there, so this is armchair quarterbacking at its finest) he did exactly the right thing. When confronted with a threat to his property, he gave it up. He then attempted to create distance, and when this failed and the situation escalated, responded accordingly. I hope I can do as well if I'm ever in the situation.

Funny that they asked for the cell phone first, not the wallet. Trying to keep him from reporting it as quickly, perhaps?

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jsebens View Post
    Seems like (and I wasn't there, so this is armchair quarterbacking at its finest) he did exactly the right thing. When confronted with a threat to his property, he gave it up. He then attempted to create distance, and when this failed and the situation escalated, responded accordingly. I hope I can do as well if I'm ever in the situation.
    +1 The man shouldn't be faulted for "poor practice" for not killing his attackers. He diffused the situation and got away uninjured, twice. That's the only goal, and the only reason most of us have for carrying a gun - Self-defense

I'm glad to hear he was not hurt (or worse)

Stay armed...shoot straighter...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by robere View Post
    Seems to me when the guy asked "what else do you have", it would be the perfect opportunity to say " I've got my billfold" (or something relative to where his gun was )to reach for his gun instead. Each incident is different, but I think I'd cherrish the opportunity to have permission to reach for something..
    Bravo for him it worked out...
    Keep in mind that Ohio requires CHL holders to retreat from a confrontation if possible to do without further endangering oneself.

That thought was probably on his mind, as well as the thought that maybe he couldn't draw fast enough to avoid getting shot himself. Remember the BG already had the drop on the GG.

Though if the BG had demanded the wallet right after being given the phone, I would certainly give him something else instead. At that point I would start to wonder if the all too familiar pattern of getting shot for not having enough (or any) cash on hand is going to be my fate. Since I carry little to no cash (I use debit card almost exclusively), rather than find out the hard way, I would take the initiative away from him by making him react to my gun.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Shooting a teenager is not what anyone wants to do, even if they are a punk with a gun. He will get to sleep at night and not have to worry about lawyer fees.

did they say how akron police reacted towards the chl holder? i would like to see wht they said or thought about it. hope epople startin seein tht chl holders r a lot mor popular than they thing. congrats to tht guy.
    “Do you have any idea how hard it would be to live with yourself if your loved ones were attacked and killed, and you had to stand there helplessly because you were unprepared for that day?”

Ricardo

I am glad to hear the outcome came out on a good note. The victim is lucky seeing how the BG already had gun drawn and at the ready. I would have to think that if I was in his shoes I would comply until I was forced not to. This is an example of why we need to be alert at all times! I love my Kimber IWB, however, in this situation I would feel a whole lot better already having my hand on the handle of my J- frame in a pocket holster!
    Glock 34 9mm
    Glock 36 .45acp
    Kahr CW9
    S&W 642-2 .38 +P
    Ruger Mark ii 22/45

They asked for the cell phone first, I betcha they have been robbing people for a while. Hopefully the bullet whizzing past their head will make them rethink their choice to be a worthless thug. Like Al Pacino said "Every dog has his day".

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    You ask for the cell phone first, because people are more willing to give that up, and after that it is a small step towards the wallet.

Guy might need more practice, as those bullets could of hit a bystander. But he most likely never expected to be attacked and carried "just in case" We were not there, so no telling.

Glad the GG is ok.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    If you have never been in a situation such as this you don't have any idea how you will react. Having been shot twice and stabbed once I can tell you that most of your planning will go out the closest window. I will say that both shooters got clobbered and spent many a day in jail - the stabber just got his butt kicked. I recommend you continue to practice and plan on what you will do, just remember that until it happens you really don't know what you will do.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links