Fired for catching thieves!!!

This is a discussion on Fired for catching thieves!!! within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I will probably go to Lowes from now on!! http://www.koco.com/news/13441545/detail.html...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fired for catching thieves!!!

Ex Member Array HollowpointHank's Avatar

I will probably go to Lowes from now on!!

http://www.koco.com/news/13441545/detail.html

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    ridiculous! Store policy against calling the cops? They might as well post a big sign that says "You can pay for your goods if you want to, but if you don't, that's ok too"

Lead Moderator
    This is a Corporation worry about being sued over false arrest. If you tell employees they can catch shoplifters(and not train the employees) sooner or later they will grab the wrong person and the corp. will get sued.
    Sad, but in this day and age too many folks are looking for a free ride in life (and our courts allow it).
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I work for a bank inside of a Walmart and the store manager visited us one day and told us of the same policy. Apparently it is so the suspected shoplifters cannot claim false accusation and sue the company.
    Nick.

"Great job, Bob." "You're fired."
    Loss "prevention," eh? Sounds more like loss accounting, though what Lowe's can possibly gain via a policy of firing employees for guarding against thievery is beyond me. Dumb.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Hank,

They're finally getting around to building a Lowe's close to where I live...I think Home DePot may lose a little business over something like this. Let the bean counters figure it out...maybe more of us will go somewhere besides Home DePot first.
    noli nothis permittere te terere...

VIP Member
    That is so weird ! Unless they changed policy from the first event to the second and the associate was informed, he has a great case against the company. I might not rule out that the associate might have a problem with another associate, a supervisor or another manager type and they are using this incident to get rid of him. I have seen it happen more than I care and lived through it too.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

As to the policy I totally understand it and it makes complete $ense.

There have been many cases of persons in major stores such as this wrongly accuses of out right theft or attempted shoplifting...and more than a few of those people have rightly sued upon being ham handedly handled, or illegally detained and even restrained. There have been numerous news stories through the decades of people and even children being wrongly accused of shoplifting, taken to the backroom of stores by non-police personnel and even searched including being forced to remove their clothing upon threat of calling the police. These things have happened and it's not the fault of the victimized shopper if they decided to sue. They are not losers at life or looking for a free ride....they are victims who have been victimized.
    Back in IIRC '00 an older man who had been shopping at a Target in Prince Georges county MD was wrongly accused by an in store security guard of having been a shop lifter because he walked into the store, walked around and looked at objects, and then quickly attempted to walk out. The store security guard observed this and wrongly assumed that the man was there to steal things. Next thing you know the store security guard puts his hands physically on the shopper who having done nothing wrong reacts by wrenching himself loose of the guard and raising his voice stating un hand me. The guard continues and a tussle breaks out. The cops are called and in moments arrives to 'assist' the security guard. The shopper finds himself being tackled by two people, is handcuffed, and in the struggle is pepper sprayed as well.
    That man died on the sidewalk going into respiratory arrest as a result of being pressed to the ground on his chest with his arms behind him, being sprayed by the pepper, being in fear of his life, and his age was IIRC in the 60s even as he appeared to be younger. He was a deacon in his church and well liked & respected amongst his church & community.

This situation was a powder keg of trouble at that time for Target and the PG county police. The mans family sued everybody for wrongful death and they were right to do so. I'd do same if it were me and would would hope my wife & children would do same.

Stores having policies such as in this case makes alot of sense as it protecte everyone associated with the store from physical harm, protects their customers from being harassed, and in the big scheme of things beyond the stores built in loss prevention members and/or specifically trained staff the best employees should do is call the cops and be a good witness....for everyones good.

It's a shame in this specific case no concession could be made for the three employees who on the surface of things were just trying to do what they thought was right.

Edit: I went to try and find the news story toward the above case at Target to double check my recollection of how the story went down and to link in this thread.
    In my first effort search the motion witin the US Court of Appeals filed on 12/3/03 popped up as the first reference; http://pacer.ca4.uscourts.gov/opinion.pdf/022071.U.pdf
    As it turns out my recollection is off a tad as according to the courts statements of fact although my recollection is based on reports in the news at that time and it was some time ago. Anyway this case was a powder keg in MD and store employees acting as loss prevention persons who are not actually in those jobs can result in expensive problems for one and all thus corporate policies such as this are understandable in the big scheme of things.

- Janq
    Last edited by Janq; June 8th, 2007 at 12:14 PM.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

It wasn't the shoplifting, they were fired for 'failing' to help suspects carry merchandise to their cars...
    This world is a pretty screwy place...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Unbelievable!!! But I'm sure Home Depot would just say that those poor "suspects" weren't "understood" and didn't have the proper "mentoring," etc.
    And here I though that only my employer(U.S. Govt.) made stupid policies..........

Lowes is better in my area, the Home Depots are not managed as well.

I talk to the loss prevention manager from time to time, he can't do much other than make it harder to get the stuff out of the store. His biggest losses are in cordless tool sets, they take them out into the garden section and throw them over the fence - then either try for a refund or sell them somewhere.

If I ever see anyone taking stuff I will make note of the vehicle's tag and phone the non-emergency Police phone number, the thieves push up the cost for all of us...

VIP Member
    My understanding from several years ago (which could have changed) is that Home Depot also strongly supports anti-Second Amendment organizations. Several years ago, they were on the NRA's list of companies that supported the Brady organization and others.

I never shop at Home Depot because of this. I have seen reports of a few Lowes stores which were posted by local managers at various times and places, only to have Lowes corporate order them to remove the signs. I shop at locally-owned hardware stores, or at Lowes.

I'm certain that Janq's assessment, that the referenced policy for Home Depot is in place to prevent lawsuits for falsely accusing customers of shoplifting, is correct. It galls me, however, that corporations have come to the pass that they would rather bow to criminals and lose a little merchandise (the costs of which they will simply pass on to their law-abiding customers) than to do the right thing and apprehend criminals (or at least allow their employees to do so without terminating them).

Tort reform, anyone?

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    What is our country going to?Lawyers are responsible for a big part
    of sue cazy mentality out there.Common sense has lost it's way and that's too bad!

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    This is a Corporation worry about being sued over false arrest. If you tell employees they can catch shoplifters(and not train the employees) sooner or later they will grab the wrong person and the corp. will get sued.
    Sad, but in this day and age too many folks are looking for a free ride in life (and our courts allow it).
    But....... They will charge more for their goods to cover potential losses, and that gets passed on to you. Bottom line is the whole shoplifting thing is a no win for the consumer, no matter what the policy!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Boy do I ever feel stupid. All these years I've actually been paying for the stuff I got. I've been wanting a new riding mower and just couldn't fit it into the budget, but now .....
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links