stats

stats

This is a discussion on stats within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I am looking for a stat that shows the number of people who carry and the number of people pulled or shot in self defense, ...

Thread: stats

stats

I am looking for a stat that shows the number of people who carry and the number of people pulled or shot in self defense, or even used a firearm to prevent a crime. Does any one have a clue where I could find that.

Good question, the information is at best a few years out of date.

Also it is difficult to calculate how many crimes were prevented without shots fired as most cases would be unreported.

Wiki is a good place to start, maybe click on a few links from the article below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrying_concealed_weapon

Yep ^^

The number of people who are licensed to carry is itself hard to track because not all states require a permit to do so, like for example VT. As well in some states unlicensed open carry is allowed like in VA. Then there are the states that allow open or concealed lawful carry on property owned by the carrier or as allowed with permission by the land owner. Then there are the number of otherwise lawful people who carry defensively concealed in states/localities that do not allow as much legally for citizens like for example D.C.

For persons shot in self defense, and recorded as such by police for report, you can check with the DoJ Bureau of Statistics. Again though they are going to be instances that were both reported to police (not everyone does so even if they were otherwise lawful in protecting their own life) _and_ the police themselves would turn around and report as much to the FBI & DoJ upon polling as a self defense/justifiable homocide.

As to using a firearm to prevent a crime that too is nebulous.
    If a discharge is made and the BG(s) as well as the GG scatters before the police arrive, well then nothing was reported/recorded but a shot(s) fired. Then there are the many instances where no shot is fired, the BG(s) depart, and the GG goes on with life making no call to the police. Those go unreported too yet are common occurrences and results.

I personally do not think it would be possible to compile such wide information into any sort of accurate statistic(s). :\

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Last semester I wrote a paper on the impact of carry permits on violent crime rates. If you would like I could email it to you and you could check out the sources that I used.
    Bleeding-heart reporter: “Do you feel that violence begets violence?”
    Jeff Cooper: “It is my earnest endeavor to see that it does. I would like very much to ensure - and in some cases I have - that any man who offers violence to his fellow citizen begets a whole lot more than he can enjoy."

Quote Originally Posted by NYCMedic View Post
    Last semester I wrote a paper on the impact of carry permits on violent crime rates. If you would like I could email it to you and you could check out the sources that I used.
    It warms my heart to hear of a pro 2A student... we need more of you around!
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Links