What to do if you forget your gun...

This is a discussion on What to do if you forget your gun... within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I think I'd rather be armed BEFORE the BG shows up, but, when in doubt, improvise. for not just being another sheep. Victim Wrestles Gun ...

I think I'd rather be armed BEFORE the BG shows up, but, when in doubt, improvise.

for not just being another sheep.

Victim Wrestles Gun Away From Would-Be Carjacker

POSTED: 6:44 am EDT June 19, 2007
    UPDATED: 7:18 am EDT June 19, 2007

ORLANDO, Fla. -- It was a close call for an Orange County man who was targeted by a would-be carjacker. Instead of handing over his wallet and keys, he fought back and wrestled away a gun from the bad guy on Orange Blossom Trail.

A swarm of patrol cars surrounded the 7-Eleven near downtown Orlando in response to a signal 43; officer needs help.

"It could have been disastrous, but fortunately the officer was able to ascertain who the victim was. The victim remained calm and put the gun down," said Lt. Sue Brown of the Orlando Police Department.

Around 2:00am Tuesday, a customer was confronted by a man with a gun who tried to steal his money and his car. But the victim didn't go down without a fight.

Police said somehow he was able to take the .40 caliber gun away from his assailant. During the struggle, the gun went off, but no one was hurt.

"I'm not sure I recommend this, but when you have a gun to your face you're gonna react. You're gonna do what you need to do to protect yourself. So he was able to struggle with the guy and disarm him," Brown said.

The unidentified attacker ran off empty handed. Police said they will review surveillance video from the convenience store and a business across the street to see if they can get a good description of him.

The gun was being fingerprinted to see if a possible match could be made to identify the attacker.

Copyright 2007 by wftv.com.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

I love stories with happy endings.

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    The only happier ending would have been the inept carjacker bleeding on the parking lot.

If the gun isn't stolen, I say give it to the victim. He earned it fair and square!

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Thats awsome! Kudos to the so-called 'victem'

Media

The teaser clip on the local news made a big deal about "Don't try this" , "lucky to be alive"and "police nearly shot the wrong person" type stuff. Same old give-them-what-they-want-don't-resist crap. if nothing else a reminder to all to be prepared for the aftermath and the arrival of PD as well as for the attack itself.

Good for him.

Never give in to the bad guys. Don't be a sheep being led to slaughter.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

What would I do in his shoes?

I'd change my shorts!

FMC

Quote Originally Posted by joleary223 View Post
    If the gun isn't stolen, I say give it to the victim. He earned it fair and square!

+1
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    IF I were in the vehicle, slam it into gear and get out of there.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

I'm not sure if there's enough information here to determine if driving off was a viable option. He may have been blocked in or maybe would have had to back out of a parking place and then putting it in drive again to escape allowing the BG time to shoot you as you drove off.

It may have been better to drive off, if it was a viable option, but so often with these news stories, we don't get enough information regarding the situation to decide if one thing would have been better over another.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by joleary223 View Post
    +1
    LIFES JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE "GRAVE" SAFELY ,IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY.BUT RATHER TO SKID IN SIDEWAYS TOTALLY WORN OUT SHOUTING "HOLY S@#$...WHAT A RIDE"

Exclamation +1!

Quote Originally Posted by fishmaycraft View Post
    What would I do in his shoes?

I'd change my shorts!

FMC
    Amen to that!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Senior Moderator
    War trophy.
    He got the gun from an aggresor.
    He ought to keep it for his efforts.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

what ted said
    a dead offender, not a live reoffender

Links