You are Fired! - Page 2

You are Fired!

This is a discussion on You are Fired! within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Sad, the way some people think. He took the time to step up and help and gets fired for it....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: You are Fired!

Lead Moderator
    Sad, the way some people think. He took the time to step up and help and gets fired for it.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Administrator
    GOOD MAN.
    Some other employer with common sense will read that story and snap him up in a minute.

If I was an employer and I read that story...I'd hire that guy and start him out at twice his previous pay.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    Man! I sure do hate to hear about good people being screwed over like that!

I wonder if his boss would have fired him if he was the one who had been shot?
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Exclamation So Let's say he stood by and did nothing....

Then the victims family sues the complex for complacency and the individual for lack of action, some states have a "Must give aid" law that requires and individual to render assistance when ever possible and it is safe, N I would say a guy with a shotgun could and in this incidence did. His employer should count their blessings that they had such a guy, and really messed up big time letting him go.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Sad to say, but with Fla. being an "at will" state, he's probably out of luck. I hate this law. It provides the employer carte blanch when it comes to termination. They don't even have to provide a reason. This law may resurrect unions in this country (and I don't like those, either). Employees deserve protection from undeserved termination.

At Will:

In Florida, employees are presumed to be “at will.” At-will employees may be terminated for any reason, so long as it’s not illegal. Generally, employees who work under an employment contract can only be terminated for reasons specified in the contract. In Florida, it is very difficult to overcome the at-will presumption.

Employee Handbooks:

While an employer is not required by law to have an employee handbook, in most cases, it is recommended. An employee handbook provides a centralized, complete and certain record of the employer’s policies and procedures.An employee handbook also provides more convenient access by employees and managers.

Sadly the truth. Like said by another earlier poster, would the owners still have felt that way if the girl was their daughter and the young mans shotgun killed the intruder that broke in and shot her leg/tried to take advantage of her/ etc ?

The unfortunate answer is probably not. Hopefully someone will read the story and hire the guy.
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

Quote Originally Posted by teknoid View Post
    Sad to say, but with Fla. being an "at will" state, he's probably out of luck. I hate this law. It provides the employer carte blanch when it comes to termination. They don't even have to provide a reason. This law may resurrect unions in this country (and I don't like those, either). Employees deserve protection from undeserved termination.
    Most states are at-will. It's a mixed bag, I think. If you don't have at-will employment, you get the situation in Europe, where it's nearly impossible to get rid of bad employees, and you get a much less productive economy as a result.

The people in this complex should all band together and do something. One very easy thing to do would be to simply stop paying their rent, and start looking for a new place to live. By law, you cannot be evicted for non-payment of rent in most places for about 3 months. This is why it's very important, if you're a landlord, to find good and reliable tenants. Lots of poor people in my state (AZ) do this regularly, paying only the first month's rent and then moving 4 months later. If one renter in an apartment complex refuses to leave for 3 months, it's a pain. But if the entire complex does this, it probably means the management will go bankrupt because they won't have the funds to pay their creditors that long.

Unfortunately, it's very difficult to get people to act as a group and do anything productive which involves short-term inconvenience.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

He should sue the place.
    Liberal baloney, I say.
    I'll bet anyone that the one that made the decision to fire the guy voted for Kerry in '04 and is voting Democrat in '08.

Quote Originally Posted by floridaguy911 View Post
    Sadly the truth. Like said by another earlier poster, would the owners still have felt that way if the girl was their daughter and the young mans shotgun killed the intruder that broke in and shot her leg/tried to take advantage of her/ etc ?

The unfortunate answer is probably not. Hopefully someone will read the story and hire the guy.
    Probably...because idiots are idiots...and they don't let family get in the way of their thinking...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The aroma you're smelling is the coffee, time to wake up.

It's the lawyers.

Apparently the rationale they gave in dismissing Colin was that he didn't notify his bosses of the incident in a "timely manner". Sure. I'm sure his boss would want to be awakened at oh-dark-thirty by an adrenalined Colin telling him about a shooting after the PD and EMS have departed. My guess is that the boss would have been irked and said "it'll wait until morning."

Secondarily, it's not clear if Colin's apartment is part of his compensation (free or a good discount). If it's free, the company might claim a violation of a no-weapons policy by claiming the apt. is part of his working environment. That's B.S. but lawyers are paid to be creative.

In a similar vein, if you ever find yourself in a position of being stalked, threatened, harrassed or you take out a restraining order against one or more people, do not tell your employer. If you feel compelled to do so, consult an employee/employment lawyer first.

It seems that with a number of employee-related shootings, corporations are being sued when the tragedy occurs on their property. They're being sued for failing to provide security or if they knew about the employee's situation it's called "maintaining a hazardous situation". Apparently lawyers are now advising employers to fire anyone in such a circumstance rather than risk them being the "magnet" that draws violence to the workplace. Terriffic, huh? Woman's lawyer argues that she needs a TRO to protect her against an abusive husband during the divorce. She gets the TRO and notifies her employer to not allow hubby into the building because she has a TRO. Three hours later, H.R. calls her in and dismisses her to cover their butts. Never mind she has been an excellent employee for 9 years and has 2 or three kids to support and lawyer bills to pay.

With this kind of corporate attitude, it's very hard to be motivated to work 10 hours a day, 6 days a week because your boss says the deadline can't change.
    BillCA in CA (Unfortunately)
    Webmaster - Taking on Gun Control
    http://dragon.hematite.com
    A gun in the hand beats a cop on the phone!

Although Colin is in my eyes a hero, his company was not clear, and with good reason about his job performance. Colin may have been a dud in the work place??? I have had several employees that were great folks and could do wonderful things, but there were less than wonderful employees. In short the company may have just needed a reason to let him go. I am not standing in their defense, just raising a point. Just because a person is a hero doesn't make him a great employee or co-worker.

Just my .02

The guy helped the woman so +1 for him. But -1 for you who said that he should sue. Lawyers and a rediculous legal system is probably the reason that they had to fire him anyway. The boss man prob called someone and they saw him as a liability.

Getting more litigation involved will just perpetuate the problem. Didn't sound like this was his dream job. He'll be fine, I wish this sort of things supprised me but it doesn't anymore, sad isn't it.

I just posted my story in another thread (security officer) and I got the same treatment at my work. I was almost fired for exactly the same reason. At least until I explained my best friends father is the attorney that handles most of Omaha PD's excessive force lawsuits, and how I thought that "Jacobs Enforcement Services" would look better on the cars than the current logo...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links