Castle Doctrine Upheld

This is a discussion on Castle Doctrine Upheld within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Tuesday, June 26, 2007 WEST PALM BEACH — Norman Borden became the first defendant in Palm Beach County to beat murder charges under the state's ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Castle Doctrine Upheld

Castle Doctrine Upheld

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

WEST PALM BEACH — Norman Borden became the first defendant in Palm Beach County to beat murder charges under the state's Castle Doctrine law, which expands an individual's right to self-defense, when a jury acquitted him of all charges Monday in connection with a double slaying.

Friends and family of the two men he shot to death cried and covered their faces with their hands as the court clerk read the verdicts: Not guilty. Not guilty. Not guilty. Not guilty.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

2. Remove Ads

Well, if he was acquitted by using the Castle Doctrine, I say the family should be crying over the fact that their children did a stupid thing. Instead of writing about the family crying, I would have celebrated the fact that a man was in a situation in where he felt he had to use deadly force and survived! It is upsetting when I see these type of news articles, as they forget that the man was the victim in this case, and not the criminals...
    NRA Member

"...the Constitution does not say Government shall decree the right to keep and bear arms. The Constitution says ‘the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.’” - Ronald Reagan

I just read the background story to this. Here's a link for anyone who doesn't know the story

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/search/...rden_0621.html

The guys that were shot went looking for trouble and they found exactly that. They bit off more than they could chew and they paid the ultimate price.
    "I'd rather have my gun and not need it, than need it and not have it"

VIP Member
    It still makes me mad that a prosecutor will go to the extreme of sidding with known gang members who attacked an innocent man just to make political gains to his career.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

"It still makes me mad that a prosecutor will go to the extreme of sidding with known gang members who attacked an innocent man just to make political gains to his career."

Me too.

Exactly the situation we all dread (self defense) - resolved by a court in a moment of sanity with a strong state law protecting the innocent.

they should publish more of these stories, then the criminals will start to get the idea that people arent going to stand for their ***** anymore. at least the ones that can read will get the idea, as for the others, they're doomed.
    People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.

More information is available in this article
    http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localne...RDEN_0626.html

There are some details that stand out that could have raised flags with the prosecutor. It was claimed that the defendant kicked the door of the vehicle after words were exchanged which could be said to have escalated the confrontation and the defendant moved to the side of the vehicle and resumed shooting after the vehicle was stopped. I'm not going to second guess the defendant since I wasn't there but I can see this raising some doubts with the police and the DA.

I wonder how the defendant explained what happened to the police after the shooting. I also wonder if having a good defense attorney instead of a public defender might have helped keep this from going to trial.

It also mentions that the defendant's house was burned down in possible retribution for the shooting and his dogs were put down. My heart goes out to him. He did what he felt he had to do to protect himself and is paying a terrible price for it.
    Rob

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by azagthoth View Post
    It was claimed that the defendant kicked the door of the vehicle after words were exchanged which could be said to have escalated the confrontation.
    On an earlier article the defendant explained that the "Poor innocent victim" was trying to get out of the car to attack the "nasty Gun Owner" but was impeded when the door was kicked so he could not get out of the vehicle. (sarcasm off)
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

... a jury acquitted him of all charges Monday in connection with a double slaying.
    From the basic elements presented in the news article, it sounds more like a "double defense." 'Bangers assault him, drive extremely close with a 3500-lb vehicle to him and his dogs, make threats, admit they went back to get their homie gang leader for more muscle. Sounds like they earned their rewards with both hands. I hope they like it, now that they've got it. Their rewards, that is.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Ron
    Yes, the "Castle Doctrine" ultimately protected him, but my understanding is that he also spent 8 months in jail, awaiting trial, and could just as easily have been convicted. A jury trial is a crap shoot every time. IMO he was lucky that the guys he shot were known gang members. If they were not, I wonder whether the result would have been the same.

He would have been well advised to have gone home after the initial run in, and called 911. Avoid a potentially deadly confrontation if at all possible.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    On an earlier article the defendant explained that the "Poor innocent victim" was trying to get out of the car to attack the "nasty Gun Owner" but was impeded when the door was kicked so he could not get out of the vehicle. (sarcasm off)
    Ah. Now that would make sense. I still wonder if having a better lawyer than a public defender could have helped this guy out.

As a disclaimer. I consider Norman Borden the victim and side with him on this. But I am pointing out what looked to me to be some inconsistencies that might help explain why the police and DA felt the need to let this go to trial. Of course the answer could just be that the DA is anti-gun but I'm trying to look at both sides of this.
    Rob

[QUOTE

As a disclaimer. I consider Norman Borden the victim and side with him on this. But I am pointing out what looked to me to be some inconsistencies that might help explain why the police and DA felt the need to let this go to trial. Of course the answer could just be that the DA is anti-gun but I'm trying to look at both sides of this.[/QUOTE]

I agree. The fact he ran up and continued to fire can be looked at as an act of aggression not defensive. I was not there so I will not coment on it. I am just glad he got off.
    "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't."
    General George Patton

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Glad to hear this verdict. I hope the gang punks get the message it should send.
    For God, Family and Country!

I read the windshield shooting and then driver's side shooting as a moving vehicle. I like how they de-emphasize the fact that these guys got in a vehicle, went to intimidate someone, went BACK and got a gang leader, tried to run the guy down, and THEN they want to be the victims?

Not buying it.
    For MN specific carry information and a great shooting community, check out forum.twincitiescarry.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links