Homeowner, 71, shot intruder in NE home

This is a discussion on Homeowner, 71, shot intruder in NE home within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.katu.com/news/8245062.html PORTLAND, Ore. - Police converged on a home in northeast Portland Friday after a homeowner reportedly shot and injured an intruder. Police say evidence ...

http://www.katu.com/news/8245062.html

PORTLAND, Ore. - Police converged on a home in northeast Portland Friday after a homeowner reportedly shot and injured an intruder.

Police say evidence at the home is consistent with a forced entry and that residents in the home woke up early Friday after hearing breaking glass and someone moving around in an enclosed porch area of the home.

A 71-year-old man in the residence, Leroy Hudson, reportedly fired one shot at the suspected intruder.

The injured suspect, a 26-year-old male, was transported to a local hospital with injuries described as "life threatening." Police said he was shot in the head.

One local resident said he sees "weird people" walking around the area at all hours of the night and is not surprised at the incident.

Oregon law does permit the use of deadly force if a homeowner feels a threat is imminent.

Northeast Glisan Street between 105th and 109th Avenue was closed for several hours while police investigated the incident.

To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

VIP Member
    Based upon what has been reported, it sounds as if everything was "righteous." I am glad that no good guys were injured.

Just saw this on the news. Heres another news channel's story:
    http://www.kgw.com/news-local/storie....26e120db.html

May want to change the title to "OR home."
    NE looks like Nebraska.

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FknRa View Post
    The injured suspect, a 26-year-old male, was transported to a local hospital with injuries described as "life threatening." Police said he was shot in the head.
    Another head shot! Looks like the combat marksmanship of the average citizen is improving.

BTW, I hope the description of the perp's injuries changes from "life threatening" to "life ending".

there seems to be a rash of dudes in their 70s getting the better of BGs in their 20s. 2 former Marines - one outboxed the bad guys and one outshot 2 bad dudes with one KIA from a headshot. now this. I think i will be lucky to be able to see my gunsights at 70. In any case, good shooting on the part of the good guys. yut.
    "embrace the suck" - our warriors in the sandbox... it implies that do the best you can in impossible conditions.
    "no plan survives intact upon contact with the enemy" - wisdom of the Grunts.

According to the Saturday Oregonian newspaper:
    '... Janice Hudson called 9-1-1 to report an intruder. Leroy Hudson opened the back door of the house and found a man standing in front of him. He demanded to know what the man was doing, hoping to scare him off.

But the man said nothing. Instead, he walked toward Leroy Hudson, and Hudson raised the gun and shot him. Police arrived soon after.

Police then found the man lying on the back porch amid signs of forced entry. The intruder was not armed.'
    News reports being what they are, early in the game, it's not clear to me whether everyone will see this as justified.

Problem #1: He opened the door at 4:50am to someone standing on the back porch. 4:50am to an unknown person. Opening the door to anyone in the middle of the night is bad juju, however it ends up.

Problem #2: At least according to the news story, the stranger then walked toward the homeowner, at which point he raised his gun and shot him in the head. No mention of lethal threat, aggression, though the article indicates (a) the stranger was unarmed and that (b) there were signs of forced entry. Everything will depend on what the homeowner thought/knew at the time. Likely, he knew full well someone was attempting to gain entry forcibly, saw the guy's face/eyes and read the manifest intent for what it was.

Unknown whether the stranger though he was at the wrong house, or whether he was clear-headed and a criminal attempting to break in.

Predictably, at least one officer was quoted as reminding citizens of the risks of keeping firearms at home, which can easily be taken and turned on them by criminals.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Another job well done!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Links