Fort Worth Robbery Suspect Shot, But Not By Police" :MERGED

This is a discussion on Fort Worth Robbery Suspect Shot, But Not By Police" :MERGED within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; "Fort Worth Robbery Suspect Shot, But Not By Police (CBS 11 News) FORT WORTH Gunshots rang out at an Albertsons grocery store in Fort Worth ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fort Worth Robbery Suspect Shot, But Not By Police" :MERGED

Member Array airbornerangerboogie's Avatar

"Fort Worth Robbery Suspect Shot, But Not By Police
    (CBS 11 News) FORT WORTH Gunshots rang out at an Albertsons grocery store in Fort Worth after a robbery attempt on Tuesday night. A suspect was shot, but not by the police.

The incident took place at about 11:30 p.m. at the store located on Sycamore School Road.

According to the Fort Worth Police Department, three armed men walked into the store and began robbing customers and employees. One of the victims called her husband who was waiting just outside of the store. The husband then walked into the store with a concealed handgun and confronted one of the suspects.

"We certainly don't encourage that," said Lt. J.D. McCarthy with the Fort Worth Police Department. "We ask that, most of the time, contact the police department and let patrol officers handle those situations."

The suspect, identified as Raysun Johnson, was shot in the backside as he was leaving the scene. He is undergoing surgery at JPS Hospital in Fort Worth, and is expected to be arrested when he is released.

The other two suspects fled the scene and have not yet been found.

Police are calling the shooting an act of self-defense, and are not charging the husband. "

Here's the link
    http://cbs11tv.com/topstories/local_...185074228.html

This section of town is a fairly dangerous place even in daylight
    crack-houses and gang violence, too bad we don't have the old "regulators" like at the turn of the last century, citizens just got fed-up with the crime and outlawry, but of course there were no police on the frontier.
    “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.” James Dean
    Phil (NRA Member and Vietnam Vet)
    ------------- My CCW ----------------
    No Guns Here Boss
    I gave them to the naked Pigmy's in New Guinea

+ 1 for CHL

It sounds like the Wife needs to get her own CHL CCW. I am willing to bet she does.
    David

Ride hard and Shoot safe

The first rule of gunfighting should be to know when the gunfight starts - being the last one to get the news certainly won't put the odds in your favor.

Lead Moderator
    3 against 1? the CCW holder got lucky. However if my SO was in there I would go in too.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    3 against 1? the CCW holder got lucky. However if my SO was in there I would go in too.
    Agreed. Not good odds, and he's lucky they scattered. But, I see few other options for the GG in this case. He wasn't playing Rambo/Vigilante, he was trying to save his wife from armed thugs. I can't fault him for that, no matter how lucky he got. I'm glad they both got to go home unharmed, and apparently without legal trouble.

The suspect, identified as Raysun Johnson, was shot in the backside as he was leaving the scene.
    I wonder if this is another case of the BG firing over his shoulder while fleeing?

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Wow, seems he did exactly what people on forums like this ask about all the time: do you GO in when you are NOT in? This guy was doing it to save his wife (who in all likelihood would've been robbed but not killed), but I don't fault him for it. In fact, I think it's what more people should be willing to do. When we don't/won't, that's when criminals win. The guy's a hero. Too bad his target remains alive.

If family is in danger, then you don't really have a choice.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

I'd be in there too! No choice, a quick 911 call and through the door.

FMC

... three armed men walked into the store and began robbing customers and employees. One of the victims called her husband who was waiting just outside of the store. The husband then walked into the store with a concealed handgun and confronted one of the suspects.
    That's walking into a situation with eyes wide open, then firing on criminals. In short, anywhere but Texas, this would likely be construed as one thing: taking the law into your own hands, acting as a policeman. In reality, it's simply someone defending his life and the lives of those immediately around him, including his closest family.

But, good thing Texas exists in its current state, to help show us the path to salvation from criminal activity. Facts: a crime was stopped by a righteous citizen doing a good and difficult task, on the instant it was required that someone do something in order to protect the lives of innocents. Kudos to Texas for seeing this and not hanging him by his noogies for a PC infraction to sensibilities.

While it's hard to call it an act of self-defense, it most definitely is an action on behalf of a third-party (his closest family) in a life-threatening situation. Good for him, and good for everyone there who is not face down in a puddle because of him. He deserves honorable consideration for the steps he took.

My family calls me in dire circumstances? I'm on the way.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I'm glad to see citizens stand against crime. We'll have as much crime as we are willing to tolerate and it currently appears that this nation is willing to tolerate a lot.

Living near Fort Worth I'd have been in the store with my wife.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    That's walking into a situation with eyes wide open, then firing on criminals. In short, anywhere but Texas, this would likely be construed as one thing: taking the law into your own hands, acting as a policeman.

While it's hard to call it an act of self-defense, it most definitely is an action on behalf of a third-party (his closest family) in a life-threatening situation.
    That last part is at odds with your calling it "acting as a policeman."
    Most places that I know of recognize the right to use deadly force to protect a third party who is the victim of a violent crime, ergo, you sure as heck can come through the door if you know that your third party is being held at gunpoint and robbed!

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    I'm glad to see citizens stand against crime. We'll have as much crime as we are willing to tolerate and it currently appears that this nation is willing to tolerate a lot.
    Truer words were never spoken.

And everyone is fretting, holding community meetings and saying, "What can the police do to make us safer?"

On and on and on it goes, and they still don't get it.

I'd be curious to see how the legal part of this turns out...the BG was shot in the backside while fleeing....that could be bad news for the CCW shooter.
    Better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6

Aviation Machinist's Mate USN 93-97
    NAF Atsugi, Japan CVW 5
    CV62 USS Independence
    HS-12 Wyverns, VS-21 Fighting Redtails

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    And everyone is fretting, holding community meetings and saying, "What can the police do to make us safer?"
    Not hanging such good sams and citizens by the toenails is a start. Absolutely.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HnKuspDude View Post
    I'd be curious to see how the legal part of this turns out...the BG was shot in the backside while fleeing....that could be bad news for the CCW shooter.
    It depends and if the PD is not pressing charges I am willing to be that more than one shot was fired but the one in the back was the one that hit. The BG perhaps was turning while the GG was shooting... who knows?
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HnKuspDude View Post
    That was my first thought when I read that part. Either way, if it was my wife in there,I'd be in there in a heartbeat myself.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links