DC Area Home Invasion Thwarted

This is a discussion on DC Area Home Invasion Thwarted within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; As some of you may know, I am currently at my brother's house in Northern Virginia. I picked up his copy of the Washington Post ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DC Area Home Invasion Thwarted

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar

DC Area Home Invasion Thwarted

As some of you may know, I am currently at my brother's house in Northern Virginia. I picked up his copy of the Washington Post this morning, and on the front page (IIRC) there was a story about a lady who had gotten her house broken into.

She woke up at 5:00 A.M. a day or two ago to find a neighborhood guy who was apparently of limited mental capacity but previously thought pretty harmless rifling through her stuff.

She ran out of the house (after locking her two kids in their bedrooms) and to the home of an FBI agent who lived nearby. The dude was eventually caught by some other neighbors- a real "hue and cry" kind of thing.

It also mentioned that calling 911 was not an option- the dude had lifted her phone.

I was wondering what all our august membership thinks of the story. There are many directions to go.

On one hand, I'm thinking if she had gun, the scare would be over and Mr. Bad would be dead or wounded.

On the other hand, if he can get her bedside phone without her knowing it, he probably could have gotten a bedside gun, too.

But locking the kiddos up and leaving them?

She recognized the guy, but still.

As always, it's a victory when no one, especially no one who is innocent, gets hurt.

Thoughts, folks?
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

2. Remove Ads

That's what results when a citizenry is forcibly deprived of the ability to defend themselves and where their actions are criminalized. This example simply illustrates the problem: parents running screaming from the house, "locking" the kids in a room and praying they can find someone to help quickly enough to save them.

There is one way to go, ultimately: changing the laws. Ejecting the power-grabbing politicos that refuse to protect the citizens. Severely raising the penalties (a la "three strikes") for commission of violent crimes, with mandatory minimums for key violent crimes with no "good guy" (I must've greased the right hand type of) parole. Allowing people to arm themselves as they see fit, so they can actually defend themselves if attacked. Hardened targets are tougher to take down.

It's a sad, sorry state of affairs we've allowed to happen. It truly is criminal.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Hmm, I have problems with leaving the kids, even behind a locked door, but it's over and she's alive so....

A typical interior door is not going to withstand an average sized man if he wants in. Once again...this is what happens when you fail to protect you and yours.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I'll bet he stole her cell phone, which likely was not in her bedroom, not the house phone.

People today largely have wireless phones and those could be anywhere, but in ones bedroom.
    I personally keep a wireless extension in our bedroom for emergencies and a hard line phone unplugged in my 4yr. old daughters bedroom hidden behind her dresser.
    She has no idea it's there and nor would some criminal who might somehow get past me to enter that room which in our house is the safe/retreat room aka 'Alamo'.

Kudos to this woman toward doing what she knew best and it working out to a high and succesfull level.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    At the end of the day? She and her family are okay. I don't know if I agree with her actions, but it worked for her.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Me neither, I don't agree.
    I'd _never_ leave my kids in the house with some burglar even if I do know him or and he's mentally <100&#37; or whatever.

But she did what she could best think of and all's well that ends well.
    I hope she thinks to invest in atleast a good sized dog toward the future if not a machete stored by her bed which is DC legal toward possession.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Regarding home phones... Now, not EVERY criminal does this... because criminals can be stupid. And a lot of people probably know this, but it bears repeating for the benifit of those who do not.

A lot of criminals who favor burglery, rape, and home invasion...

One of the first things they head for, once they have gained entry unnoticed is to head straight for the closest phone they find. Pick it up and listen to see if the homeowner is in the process of calling 911.

If the homeowner is not on the phone calling police, they will leave the phone off the hook, essentially making all other phone extensions in the house useless. You can't make an outgoing phone call from a hard wired phone if one in another room is off the hook!

To guard against this, whether you have a hardwired phone in your bedroom or not, is to keep your cell phone in the bedroom as well.

Don't leave your cell phone down on the kitchen table or somewhere else to charge over night. Your cell phone may be your only chance at calling 911 and if it's left in your car or some other place in the house, you may be out of luck.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    Perfect example of why the gun should be the LAST resort not the convenient first resort. If shot it might be considered a good shoot but would any of us be happy knowing we shot at, hit, or even killed a person of limited mental capacity in a situation like this? I know I wouldn't. As for the children I'd not have left them behind. but I'm stronger. bigger, more agressive than the lady may have been. It may have been her best or only (in her mind) choice.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverickx50 View Post
    Perfect example of why the gun should be the LAST resort not the convenient first resort. If shot it might be considered a good shoot but would any of us be happy knowing we shot at, hit, or even killed a person of limited mental capacity in a situation like this? I know I wouldn't. As for the children I'd not have left them behind. but I'm stronger. bigger, more agressive than the lady may have been. It may have been her best or only (in her mind) choice.
    hmm....Not me. I've spoken of this before, but I find absolutely no guilt for myself for doing what I have to do to stay alive and protect my family, whether the BG is mentally stable or not. Once engaged, my life and my family's lives are more important than anyone else at that point. Everyone, BG included even if he/she is a few bricks short, comes LAST and I refuse to feel any remorse. Some may call me cold or callous. I call it reality.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Excellent point Bark'n.

I just went and tested this via my daughters room phone and our regular wireless unit for the house.
    Yep, if one is off the hook the others are effectively neutralized.

As a work around tonight I'll go dig up an old cell phone, charge it, and store that in her room keeping it plugged into the wall on a charge.

Thanks!

- Janq

She and the kids were very, very lucky. I don't ever want to have to count on being that lucky.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

The gun ban was struck down in DC and I'm not sure the Supreme Court will take it up so it might stand.
    Why lawmakers think the only ones that should have handguns are law enforcement and criminals is beyond me.

Note about cell phones

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Excellent point Bark'n.

I just went and tested this via my daughters room phone and our regular wireless unit for the house.
    Yep, if one is off the hook the others are effectively neutralized.

As a work around tonight I'll go dig up an old cell phone, charge it, and store that in her room keeping it plugged into the wall on a charge.

Thanks!

- Janq

Jang... no problem.

Here is a point regarding CELL PHONES that not everyone may be aware. You can always dial 911 from any cell phone if you can get a signal.

If you have a pre-paid cell phone and are out of minutes, you have an old cell phone from sprint but no longer have a sprint account or even if you haven't paid your bill and service has been interupted, you can always dial 911. It's a safety feature built into all cell phones.

Now the catch is, you have to be in a town or city that has 911. By now, most of the U.S. has 911 emergency service but there are still a lot of rural areas that do not have 911 and in those cases I don't think you can get 911 in those area's but I'm not exactly sure on that specific detail. The reason is, you may get a 911 center in another area.

There are some glitches, especially in area's that don't have "enhanced 911." I live in a fairly rural area that is about 100 miles outside of kansas City. We have 911 in our county, however dialing 911 on a cell phone may not connect you with the 911 operator that services our area. Calling 911 where I live may get you connected with a 911 operator 3 counties away and I have heard maybe even in another state.

So, when calling 911 on a cell phone, you should always state that you are calling from a cell phone and ask if this is the correct 911 for where you are at. If not you can state your emergency and see if they can transfer you to the correct 911 service for your area or take all your information, details and then have them call your local LEO, FIRE or EMS or what ever you need.

I know this may sound a bit confusing and the system obviously isn't perfect yet in all areas of the country. But my point is, if you live where 911 is what you dial for emergencies... if you have a cell phone that is getting a tower signal, whether your account is active or not, you can still dial 911 from any cell phone.

I hope this info helps, and if any 911 operators out there can elaborate, please fee free to do so.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Again excellent info Barn'n.

Thank you.

- Janq

"If shot it might be considered a good shoot but would any of us be happy knowing we shot at, hit, or even killed a person of limited mental capacity in a situation like this?"

I do not care if the would be rapist/murderer is of limited mental capacity? If he intends to harm my family he is going to be neutralized.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links