Houston state rep uses pistol to stop burglary

This is a discussion on Houston state rep uses pistol to stop burglary within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...kCurrentPage=0 Houston State Rep. Borris Miles, D-District 146, used a pistol to wound one of two men he told police were trying to steal materials ...

Thread: Houston state rep uses pistol to stop burglary

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...kCurrentPage=0

Houston State Rep. Borris Miles, D-District 146, used a pistol to wound one of two men he told police were trying to steal materials from a house the lawmaker is building, police said.

Miles was at the construction site at 3742 MacGregor Way at about 7:30 p.m. Sunday when he heard a noise and spotted the two men, Houston police spokeswoman Johanna Abad said this morning.

"The man suffered a non-life threatening wound," said Abad, adding that Miles is licensed to carry a concealed weapon.

The man who was shot was in Ben Taub Hospital this morning and police still were trying to identify the other suspect, Abad said.

No charges were filed in the case. Miles could not be reached for comment.

kevin.moran@chron.com

Before anyone piles on about deadly force, we don't know if he was threatend or not. What is, as Paul Harvey says, "The rest of the story"? I hope that there was a legitimate use here, and a legislator doesn't get a wash on an unjustified shoot simply because of who he is.
    Nice to see the lawmakers carry, what is his voting record on his consituents 2A rights?
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

IIRC, TX = can use deadly force to protect property (don't know the chapter & verse)

I remember a case in Texas in 1994/1995 where a guy was repossessing a car in the middle of the night--was shot and killed by the homeowner (in default on the car loan) who believed his car was being stolen. Jury did not convict because of the TX law indicating you can defend your property.

If memory serves well, in Texas it is actually legal to use deadly force to stop someone from fleeing with your property. The law made no distinction between A $100,000 car or a $3 watch. Moral? MAybe not if its a kid stealing a candybar from my stop-and -rob, but maybe if the fleeing BG used violence to get his hands on the property to begin with. Not enough info in this case.

***Edited to Add: Must've been writing at the same time as sigguy, we can't both be wrong, right?
    Last edited by Cupcake; July 9th, 2007 at 12:18 PM. Reason: added
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

HOUSTON — A state lawmaker who opposed a bill giving Texans stronger right to defend themselves with deadly force pulled a gun and shot a man he says was trying to steal copper wiring from a construction site, police said Monday.

Rep. Borris Miles told police he was fixing a leak on the second floor of the Houston house he's building Sunday night when he heard a noise downstairs and saw two men trying to steal the copper. After Miles confronted the pair, one of the men threw a pocketknife at him, Houston Police spokesman Victor Senties.

Miles, a former law enforcement officer, shot the man in the left leg, police said. The wounded suspect was being treated at a Houston hospital. Police were trying to identify the other suspect.

Charges of aggravated robbery are pending against the wounded suspect, Senties said.

Police said Miles, who is in his freshman term, is licensed to carry a concealed weapon. No charges have been filed against Miles, Senties said.

Miles, a Democrat, voted against a bill that gives Texans stronger legal right to defend themselves with deadly force in their homes, vehicles, and workplaces. The so-called "castle doctrine," passed by the Legislature this year, states that a person has no duty to retreat from an intruder before using deadly force. The law goes into effect Sept. 1.
    Maybe he will rethink his position on future gun laws.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    There is another thread that has been closed, but I feel that it led off this report with the right angle... It's the one that talks about how this particular legislator voted against expanding self-defense rights of the very same kind he used in this altercation.

From The Palm Beach Post:

Houston--A state lawmaker who opposed a law giving Texans a stronger right to defend themselves with deadly force shot a man he said was trying to steal copper wiring from a construction site, police said Monday.

Rep. Borris Miles, a former law enforcement officer who was on his property fixing a leak on the second floor, shot a man who threw a pocketknife at him, police said. The wounded suspect was being treated for a leg injury at a hospital. Charges of aggravated robbery are pending against the wounded suspect, police said.

Miles, a Democrat, voted against a bill, the so-called "castle doctrine," that gives Texans a stronger legal right to defend themselves with deadly force in their homes, vehicles and workplaces.
    I'm stupified that a left-wing paper like The Post ran this story and didn't edit out the stuff about the guy having voted against the law he then took shelter under (or the fact that he's a Democrat). Once in a while, maybe the editor's not looking and some underling who's pro-gun and has a brain seems to slip one by...

It wouldn't surprise me if this hypocrite comes out and says that it's okay because he's a cop, not because the average citizen should have this castle-doctrine right; and that he doesn't think the average citizen can handle the responsibility, but he can because he's "got training." I've seen them pull that kind of thing before.

Voting against gun rights should be grounds for losing yours permanently.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Quote Originally Posted by LBrombach View Post
    Voting against gun rights should be grounds for losing yours permanently.
    Seconded.

Those who do not want them can not have them, present or future.
    Simple and plain.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Law makers always seem to think they are exempt from the rules they force us to live by.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Sponsored Links