Lawmaker Opposes Deadly Force Bill But Shoots Would-Be Thief

This is a discussion on Lawmaker Opposes Deadly Force Bill But Shoots Would-Be Thief within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Moderator--I didn't see this posted yet. This may fit other categories. Please place where most appropriate. Interesting story from Associated Press out of TX. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,288737,00.html ...

Thread: Lawmaker Opposes Deadly Force Bill But Shoots Would-Be Thief

Lawmaker Opposes Deadly Force Bill But Shoots Would-Be Thief

Moderator--I didn't see this posted yet. This may fit other categories. Please place where most appropriate.

Interesting story from Associated Press out of TX.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,288737,00.html

HOUSTON A state lawmaker who opposed a bill giving Texans stronger right to defend themselves with deadly force pulled a gun and shot a man he says was trying to steal copper wiring from a construction site, police said Monday.

Rep. Borris Miles told police he was fixing a leak on the second floor of the Houston house he's building Sunday night when he heard a noise downstairs and saw two men trying to steal the copper. After Miles confronted the pair, one of the men threw a pocketknife at him, Houston Police spokesman Victor Senties.

Miles, a former law enforcement officer, shot the man in the left leg, police said. The wounded suspect was being treated at a Houston hospital. Police were trying to identify the other suspect.

Charges of aggravated robbery are pending against the wounded suspect, Senties said.

Police said Miles, who is in his freshman term, is licensed to carry a concealed weapon. No charges have been filed against Miles, Senties said.

Miles, a Democrat, voted against a bill that gives Texans stronger legal right to defend themselves with deadly force in their homes, vehicles, and workplaces. The so-called "castle doctrine," passed by the Legislature this year, states that a person has no duty to retreat from an intruder before using deadly force. The law goes into effect Sept. 1.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________

I wonder if he would change his vote?

I've tried finding information about the Castle Doctrine in NM. If someone has credible info, please post.

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Dupe post
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Links