Birmingham Alabama Bank Robbery May 07

This is a discussion on Birmingham Alabama Bank Robbery May 07 within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Of course everyone can say how they'd do something different than Chris Chappell in this story - I'd think I might have done different but ...

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar

Of course everyone can say how they'd do something different than Chris Chappell in this story - I'd think I might have done different but I can't really say because I wasn't there. I think all things considered he did pretty good. Many would have opted to have just tried to be a good witness and the BG would have probably gotten away.

Now for the story:
    Police are praising the courage of a concealed-carry permit holder who helped subdue a gunman in a deadly bank robbery. Chris Chappell was making a withdrawal when a man opened fire, killing two tellers and wounding two others. Chappell ran out of the bank and drew his gun, taking cover behind his SUV. The gunman tried to flee the bank, but encountered Chappell and ran back inside. At that time two passing sheriff's deputies noticed the disturbance and turned around to investigate. The gunman grabbed a hostage and made another attempt to escape, but he was met by Chapell and the deputies. When the gunman stumbled, one of the deputies subdued him with a gunshot. "It's certainly commendable," said Jefferson County, Alabama, Sheriff's Sgt. Randy Christian. "It's obvious he played a key role in keeping the guy there until we could get there. It's a great testament to someone willing to take action."
    (The Birmingham News, Birmingham, AL 05/16/07)
    For God, Family and Country!

Good for you Chris Chappell. I hope I have that kind of courage if ever I need it.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Congrats to Mr. Chappell...
    And to the Sheriff who acknowledged his assistance...

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

'Customer praised for helping to stop bank robbery suspect'
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...light=Chappell

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Good for him. He did an great job.

And the antis say we are trigger happy. If there was ever a time that a CCW holder could have and perhaps should have opened fire, this was it. But, he showed great restraint and still assisted in the capture of a mad man.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

glad it worked out for him
    War is not the ugliest of things. Worse is the decayed state of moral feeling which thinks nothing is worth a war. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which he cares for more than his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free. -J.S. Mill

If he didn't draw behind cover (SUV) and was seen by the perps, they most likely would have escaped and NOT run back in and taken a hostage. Taking the hostage probably put a serious risk of injury/death to the hostage.

If it didn't turn out as it did, people would be singing different tunes.

They were fleeing. Get their description and license plate, contact LEO and let them handle it from there.

All of that was said in hindsight. Which is 20/20 compared to what he was experiencing at the time.

Senior Moderator
    If it didn't turn out as it did, people would be singing different tunes.
    Thats always the case isnt it ?

They were fleeing. Get their description and license plate, contact LEO and let them handle it from there.
    Yep and the guy would have been gone by the time they got there. A loose murderer. Loose to cap somebody else in a bank somewhere else.

Yeah...thats they way to make the world a better place...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    'Customer praised for helping to stop bank robbery suspect'
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...light=Chappell

- Janq
    That's why it's always a good idea to make use of our friend, the search tool.

Thanks, Janq.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

I don't know about you folks, but when I am in certain places I take a minute to think about what could happen in this 7-11, mall, grocery store, church, bank, etc. I don't obsess about it all day, but I do think about the place im at being robbed at gun point, knife point, an unarmed robber, random violence or assult, etc, for a brief minute or 2. I try to spot exits and cameras in most places as well. I take a quick minute to do this and then I'm fine.
    Don't want to sound like James Bond or anything, but these observations will help should something go nutz! Personally, if I'm strapped, and someone is being shot at around me, or someone elses life is being put in immediate jeopardy, I dont think I could look myself in the mirror if they were killed infront of me and all I did was wait for the cops. This man did a wonderful and level-headed deed.
    "Like a muddied spring or polluted well is a righteous man who gives way to the wicked." -Proverbs 25:26

"If the thief is found breaking in, and he is struck so that he dies, there shall be no guilt for his bloodshed..." -Exodus 22:2

Hotguns - if it was my wife that was taken hostage due to his actions, I would be pissed.

In at least one case, you are wrong about a loose murderer. A former boss of mine witnessed a bank robbery (going in while robbery was in place), he ran out around corner behind bldg. When robbers came out, he got the description of them/car/ and license plate. He called it in there with his cell phone. Cops collared the perps in a matter of minutes.

Again, a hostage would NOT have been taken if the CCW did not draw down from cover. Besides, who was in immediate danger when the perp was attempting to flee? Noone, that's who.

Senior Moderator
    Besides, who was in immediate danger when the perp was attempting to flee? Noone, that's who.
    When two people were shot and killed, that put both felons in a different category. That also put everyone around them in immediate danger. That is exactly why the Police will do a "Felony" Takedown with guns drawn from behind cover because the perps have already indicated that they can and will resort to murder.

Now I perfectly understand that someone watching or present may not be willing or even able to takes the risk of intervention, and I can respect that. Most people will justify inaction, for some reason, ethier real or imagined. Few are the people that will act no matter what the consequences will be and for that I applaud the actions of the CHL holder.

And...the last time I checked FBI stats, at least 50 percent of bank robberys go unsolved.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Kudos to the law enforcement community for handing him congratulations instead of papers indicating imminent legal evisceration for engaging in an absolute good. Good for them!

Glad he and others made it out unscathed. Just the way it should be.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Links