Security Officer

This is a discussion on Security Officer within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Vests can only stop 9mm? I must be dead then. Spooky! My vest can and will stop all common handgun rounds with a few exceptions. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Security Officer

Administrator
    Vests can only stop 9mm? I must be dead then. Spooky!

My vest can and will stop all common handgun rounds with a few exceptions.

I know it a little off topic, but you got to know your equipment.
    "Just blame Sixto"

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    You did good. I had the opportunity to "assist" the police on a few occasions when I was an SO, and it always worked out well.

Once I found a car stopped on the interstate. Found the driver to be intoxicated and asleep with the car in drive and his foot on the brake! Woke the guy up, had him put the car in park, and called for Troopers. Had a scanner in the patrol car, heard dispatch give it out as "Security Officer has car pulled over." Oh POOP! They are not going to be happy with ME! Had to call back and give directions as they had a hard time finding me in the middle of a cloverleaf interchange with dividing walls. All of a sudden 3 Troopers pull up with their game faces on. I was REAL QUICK to tell them I DID NOT PULL OVER the car.

Another time an LEO pulled a drunk driver into a hotel parking lot with 2 driveways. Driver tried to pull off after LEO exited vehicle. I blocked the other drive so she couldn't get out.

Once I was on my home and got behind a vehicle driving very erratically. I was sure he was gonna crash, so I lit him up with my red dashlight (vollie EMS) and pulled him over. Now, I'll admit that this was stupid, so you guys don't have to point it out, OK? I clearly identified myself as an off duty security officer, NOT A COP. Turns out he was getting off a double shift and falling asleep. No odor of alcohol. He only lived about 2 miles away, and asked me to follow him home. I think he was too freaked out to sleep on the short trip, so I did. Worked out OK.

Last story: On the interstate about 0300 when a car speeds up behind me, going quite a bit faster than the posted limit. Loses control and passes me SIDEWAYS! Comes to a stop against the curb/rail. I get out to see if they are OK. Driver is very drunk. Once again ID myself as off duty SO. HE wants to leave. I used a little bit of fake authority to convince him to stop by demanding his license. Didn't have a cell, no other cars come by for like 15 minutes. Copied down his info. Passenger in car says he is not drunk, wants to drive off. I really have no authority to hold them, so I watch them go. Went to the magistrate and secured a warrant for reckless. Went to court twice with no shows both times. Second time, Judge convicts in absentia and thanks me for my time.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Outstanding job. +1 on that! I think two people owe their lives to you.

Like others have said, when alone, it can be very dangerous attempting to handcuff a previously armed, yet still very dangerous suspect. You were the man on the ground and it was your call, so I won't second guess you on that. Your stated reason of the other accomplice on the loose is enough for me.

I would like to point out for future reference only. Handcuffing is something officers will do probably 10,000 times in a career and often times is a skill that officers get complacent in.

Most people who will fight an officer, occurs at the moment the officer makes contact with them for handcuffing.

They are thinking, "If I am going to do something, this is my Last Opportunity to do it!"

Lots of suspects will "feign compliance" only to attack when they hear the snap popping on the handcuff case or feel the cuffs make contact with their wrists. At that point, they know your gun is back in it's holster and this is their last chance at freedom; and the "fight is on!"

Beware and Be Aware!

All in all, a great job all around and kudo's to you!

-Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

You saw the situation; you acted.

It's possible that two good guys are alive because of that.

Ya' done good!
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

I did not say that all vests can only stop 9mm, I took one round from an AK in the chest with my SAPI plates, I'm aware. I was referring to a common every day cheap vest that your typical Kwik-e-mart robber might get his hands on. My current vest will stop a .45, as its kind of silly to wear a vest that won't stop your own bullets right?

Again, thank you for imput everonye! This is exactly the results I was hoping for when joining this forum, this kind of feedback is what helps us learn and keeps us alive. I agree that cuffing is a skill that you can get very complacent with. Luckily I have some great friends, many of whom are trained in martial arts that let me get alot of practice in with them. I was able to get them on quickly, but I was really wishing I had my riot cuffs. Luckily he did not resist, and I didn't have to use any PPCT to keep him down, although I was ready for it. It is definatly a time where you are vulnerable, but good PPCT and hand to hand training goes along way here, but you do have to be very careful while doing it alone.
    "Wear a gun to someone else's house, you're saying, 'I'll defend this home as if it were my own.' When your guests see you carry a weapon, you're telling them, 'I'll defend you as if you were my own family"

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Sounds like you have your head screwed on straight and tight buddy. Good job.

As someone else said, the only thing I could maybe fault you on is the cuffing of the one bad guy. Don't misunderstand me, I completely understand why you did it but I also am aware that you not being a sworn police officer, you could have opened yourself up to an unlawful detention lawsuit.

But it sounds like it turned out Ok for you in the end. Good job.
    Is there a difference with unlawful detention while holding a gun on someone and telling them not to move vs hand-cuffing someone? Seems like both do the same thing (detain someone) to me.

Senior Moderator
    I dont beleive it would have been "unlawful detention" for the simple reason that a felony in progress was witnessed by the cuffer.

Im not a lawyer though. I see it real simple like.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

In effect was making a citizens arrest to an offender committing a felony. Whether holding someone physically against a wall, holding them at gunpoint or handcuffing them, it is still a citizens arrest.

While most citizens performing a "citzens arrest" don't use handcuffs, there's no difference in the actions.

Almost all jurisdictions in the country as far as I know still have rights of citizens to make an arrest on the books.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links