Maitland Store Owner Shoots At Robbery Suspects - Page 2

Maitland Store Owner Shoots At Robbery Suspects

This is a discussion on Maitland Store Owner Shoots At Robbery Suspects within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; There isn't enough info to say whether it was a good shoot or not, maybe the punks still had the 'gun' pointed in his direction ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    There isn't enough info to say whether it was a good shoot or not, maybe the punks still had the 'gun' pointed in his direction as they fled, who knows? I'm more inclined to believe the word of a business owner over that of a criminal(s)

Newspapers being the bastion of complete and truthful reporting that they are, it's not unlikely that the statement of "shooting while fleeing" was just the "sound byte" they needed to hook the story in the minds of people ... so the paper would sell. Everything comes down to the perspective of the victim, at the time of the crime.

The newspaper is crowing as if the crime stopped the moment the money was in the bag. While the perps were in the room, armed and dangerous, they were still executing their crime and the lethal theat was clear and present, to the shop keeper. Life just isn't as simple as saying "flight" occurs the moment the money's in the bag and the perps are heading away from the register.

"Fleeing" ... meaning, running thataway? Meaning, the body was merely turned in the other direction? Meaning, the perp had the intention (in his mind) of angling toward the exit?

If I'm in a place where it's kosher I be (either my home, my business or on the street doing whatever), and a BG is inside my space (or the room) fully armed and dangerous, it's ludicrous to believe there is no threat. Might well be the last stupid thing I do, to completely put the guard down as if the lethal threat wasn't still active and real. Everything depends on the specific situation, of course, but generally speaking while the BG is inside the room, armed and still standing, he's a lethal threat. If he has surrendered and gone face-down or is running 15mph down the aisle toward the only exit and has dropped his weapon, though, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. Not likely before then, though. But with multiple BG's likely all being armed, ganging up to perform a violent felony? They'd better be running fast or immediately complying with a subservient faceplant minus all weapons.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

2 points:

If Flordia has Castle Doctrine or a similar law, he had a right to shoot.

He needs to practice more.
    It is not the Bill of Privileges. It is not the Bill of Permits. It is the Bill of Rights.

People should not be afraid of the government; the government should be afraid of the people.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by citizen510 View Post
    2 points:

If Flordia has Castle Doctrine or a similar law, he had a right to shoot.

He needs to practice more.
    Castle doctrine only means that the victim has no responsibility to flee, it doesn't remove the basic requirements that justify the use of deadly force: Imminent threat of death or grave bodily injury. If a "reasonable person" would not percieve the situation as meeting this criteria, then deadly force is (almost always) not justified.

To be clear - I'm not sticking up for the BGs or questioning the actions of the store owner in this particular case. I'm simly stating what we should already know - you had better be able to articulate how and why you felt that you were in immediate danger of death/grevious bodily injury, not that you were in fear of losing your car/radio/bubble gum, and that the fact that the BG was fleeing may very well make it harder to articulate your fears.

For the record, I hope this was a good shoot, and the shop owner suffers no legal or financial hardship.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links