Liquor store owner defends himself in Ridgeland, MS

This is a discussion on Liquor store owner defends himself in Ridgeland, MS within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I used to work security at the Cabot Lodge next door to this store. I often looked over at the store and wondered about someone ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Liquor store owner defends himself in Ridgeland, MS

Liquor store owner defends himself in Ridgeland, MS

I used to work security at the Cabot Lodge next door to this store. I often looked over at the store and wondered about someone trying to rob it. I would sometimes watch customers as they pulled up to it at night to see what they were up to. I knew the gentleman who ran it was always in there alone and could possible be an easy target for a criminal. I'm glad to hear he was not harmed this time.

Ridgeland 07/26/07
    Nightmare Revisited For Liquor Store Owner
    Liquor Store Shootout

By Cheryl Lasseter (WLBT)

Marshall Williams spoke to us about his harrowing experience at his liquor store in Ridgeland Thursday night... a nightmare revisited for the 55-year-old who just became a grandfather.

He was sitting behind the cash register at Northpark Package Goods on Dyess Road around 7:30 pm, when he saw a black male get out of a tan colored car and bend over. The man was tying a bandana around his face.

"He indicated a single black male approached the store with a bandana over his face with a firearm," says Ridgeland Police Lieutenant John Neal. "As he entered the store, it was apparent there was a robbery to take place."

A bullet mark in the wooden counter and a blood spot serve as constant reminders of what happened at the store on December 28, 2002. A would-be armed robber shot Williams three times that night, but made off with nothing, and Williams survived.

So this time, he was quick to draw his own weapon and use it.

There are four bullet holes in all in the front window pane. Three are from the offender and one is from Williams. Williams also shot once through the front glass.

Again, the assailant slinked away empty-handed. Williams wasn't shot, and it doesn't seem the offender was either.

"We believe from talking to the store owner there was another subject driving the vehicle," Neal says. "Our suspect got in on the passenger side, they were last seen heading toward County Line Road in a tan four-door Chevy Malibu type vehicle."

Ridgeland Police are investigating whether there's a link between this attempted robbery and the armed robbery of the Liquor Connection on 1-55 North in Jackson on July 19th. They happened around the same time of night, and the suspect description is similar. "Our detectives are talking to Jackson investigators to see if this is the same suspect we're looking for," Neal says.

My note:
    Mississippi has a Castle Doctrine that protects business owners from prosecution when they defend their business and themselves against criminals.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I'm glad the owner seems to be okay, and I hope they catch the perpetrator quickly!

Allright, he has awareness down. Now he needs some range time.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Sounds typical of what I hear in these types of gun fights. Lots of bullets flying but few making contact with the intended target. Range time would certainly help with this. When the adrenalin is pumping, gross motor skills take over and only what you've practiced works.
    I wonder why the owner only fired 1 or 2 shots (not clear from article)? I think I would have emptied mine.
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ... they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. Thomas Jefferson

If I worked at a liquor store I would have no less than two M4's with drum magazines mounted under the table, An 870 strapped around my back and twin 1911's in a shoulder holster and a model 29 S&W mexican carry style in my jeans. Oh yeah and a .38spl in an ankle holster.

That line of work has to rank up there with that Alaskan crab fishing stuff. Glad he was unharmed this time, bet that guy won't try to rob his store again.

Quote Originally Posted by LBrombach View Post
    Allright, he has awareness down. Now he needs some range time.
    Agree

keep the success stories comin!
    War is not the ugliest of things. Worse is the decayed state of moral feeling which thinks nothing is worth a war. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which he cares for more than his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free. -J.S. Mill

Store owner not shot, bad guy left with no money... I'd say it was a success story.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Second that!
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ... they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. Thomas Jefferson

Read in the local paper that Ridgleand police arrested the shooter who lives in Pearl, MS. I suspect the driver will not be far behind. They will be most likely be tried in Madison County where we lock 'em up for a long time! Looks like I might be working the hotel next door again in a couple of weeks filling in for a security officer going on vacation.

Not trying to keep this thread alive - just an update... Another of the liquor store robbers was apprehended and arrested yesterday in Jackson. News account stated there might be an additional one still loose. Police still investigating.

Third Arrest Made In Liquor Store Robbery Attempt

Ridgeland authorities made a third arrest in the attempted armed robbery of the Northpark Package and Liquor Store. A fourth suspect is also wanted by authorities.

I the arrest, but wish these guys could have become 'lead collectors'...saving society a lot of expense...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'd say that was a partial success. Full success would have been with the robber dead and therefore unable to try again with some victim less prepared.

If convicted, they will probably do a few years. Then when they get out they will be better educated, better prepared, and a lot more dangerous than when they went in. Their next victim may not be as capable of fending them off as was the case this time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links