Shooter Claims Self-Defense After Teen Killed

This is a discussion on Shooter Claims Self-Defense After Teen Killed within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.news4jax.com/news/13738919/detail.html JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- A man who pulled the trigger, fatally shooting a 17-year-old early Monday, said he acted in self-defense. Investigators said 28-year-old Robert ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooter Claims Self-Defense After Teen Killed

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Shooter Claims Self-Defense After Teen Killed

http://www.news4jax.com/news/13738919/detail.html

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- A man who pulled the trigger, fatally shooting a 17-year-old early Monday, said he acted in self-defense.

Investigators said 28-year-old Robert Brown told them his car was being followed by another vehicle with several people inside and that he thought they wanted to rob him.

Detectives with the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office continue to investigate the fatal shooting that took place in the 7000 block of Old Kings Road South on the Southside.

Homicide investigators said Brown thought he was being followed and pulled into the parking lot, followed into the parking lot by three people in a minivan. When they got out of the van and approached Brown's car with a gun, he shot one of the subjects in the chest, police said.

"It was either him or me," Brown told Channel 4. "There was not even time to think twice. There was no time. They were strictly about their business. I needed to try and get up out of this."

Brown said he was afraid he was going to die Monday morning and that was why he fired his gun, hitting Tommy Lee Kennedy.

"I looked in the rear view mirror, I see some lights blocking my car in and I see the passenger door open and the sliding door open. Two dudes hopped out, one went directly to my window with a gun, arm pointed straight," Brown said. "You know, God said it isn't my time to go right now."

Jacksonville Sheriff's Office booking photo of Tommy Lee Kennedy Jr. from a 2004 arrest on a charge of grand theft.

Police said there was an exchange of gunfire at the scene.

Kennedy died at the scene, and two other young men fled the scene, according to police.

"We don't know what happened regarding the other two people -- we know the other two people fled in a van," Jacksonville Sheriff's Office Sgt. Derrick Lewis said.

Authorities said that they are looking for a dark van with tinted windows.

Kennedy's sister, Tamika Kennedy, and the teen's friends said they couldn't understand why their loved one was killed.

"He is a good person. He takes care of his responsibility, I mean," Tamika Kennedy said. "My brother never meant to hurt nobody."

Police took Brown downtown for questioning and he was later released.

Anyone with information about the shooting is asked to call Crimestoppers at 866-845-TIPS.

Previous Story:
    July 23, 2007: Police: Potential Victim Kills Possible Robber
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Heh heh click the link to become nauseated by some of the senseless commentary
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Glad he was able to defend himself and not be killed by the good boy Tommy Lee Kennedy Jr. coming at him with a gun - who had priors including that 2004 arrest on a charge of grand theft and who knows what else might have been there before he became an adult.
    Of course it's tragic and unfortunate that the teen got killed - BUT - the choices he made and actions he took caused his own death.
    If he'd jumped in front of a fast semi on the highway would you hold the driver responsible or say it was his own fault? As they say in the south - same difference....
    For God, Family and Country!

it's always the "good ones" that die.

"He wouldn't hurt anyone", yet he had a gun

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    sounds clean to me. The gun was clearly not fake, if there was "an exchange of gunfire", and I'd say it was perfectly clear what the three in the van intended to do to Mr. Brown. Even if it had been a fake, or a "joke", he would have been justified.

I do think I might have chosen to hit the gas when they all got out, but I wasn't there, so I can't play armchair QB. I hope FL doesn't have a duty to retreat that will come back to bite him.

Tommy Lee Kennedy Jr. won't do that gesture of fine citizenship again.

The 'thug' business has a really bad early-retirement plan.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Of course it's tragic and unfortunate that the teen got killed
    How so?

I think it's fortunate that someone who had it within his character to threaten the life of an innocent person is now dead. We as a society will no longer have to worry that he is out there, ready to pick his next victim.

Tragic how? It's not as though a productive life was lost, as, say, through an accident.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Florida no longer has a 'duty to retreat' law.
    Didn't you hear when it was passed about a year ago. Some in the press was trying to make it known to European vacationers that it they were planning on vacationing in Florida that they would be coming to the new 'Wild West' with everybody walking around with guns. They said there would be 'bood in the streets'.

GOOD GUN CONTROL Is Being Able To Hit Your Target!

Oh yeah, Tamika, your brother was probably just going to show that guy his new gun and then maybe offer to relieve him of his cash/car/life!
    Aint that always the way...all these good church-going people getting arrested or killed after robbing/killing/raping some "bad" deserving person!

good shoot, by the sounds of it...

Kennedy's sister, Tamika Kennedy, and the teen's friends said they couldn't understand why their loved one was killed.

"He is a good person. He takes care of his responsibility, I mean," Tamika Kennedy said. "My brother never meant to hurt nobody."
    My opinion is that Mr. Kennedy's sister Tamika, should do 3 years in prison herself just for saying that crap in public! lame, lame, lame
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    It'll be interesting to see how this turns out. Will there be charges, and if so, will they stick?

On a personal (and somewhat random) note, I fear a jury of my peers. They've just never impressed me much (present company excluded).
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

Yep, Tommy Lee was about to turn his life around and attend airline pilot school, just as soon as he done one more crime with a gun. The gene pool is cleaner.

We don't have all the details but it sounds like a clean shoot.
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links