Dallas, Armed homeowner thwarts home invaders

This is a discussion on Dallas, Armed homeowner thwarts home invaders within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Armed homeowner thwarts home invaders 2:35 PM CT 02:35 PM CDT on Wednesday, August 1, 2007 By STEVE THOMPSON / The Dallas Morning News stevethompson@dallasnews.com ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dallas, Armed homeowner thwarts home invaders

Dallas, Armed homeowner thwarts home invaders

Armed homeowner thwarts home invaders 2:35 PM CT

02:35 PM CDT on Wednesday, August 1, 2007
    By STEVE THOMPSON / The Dallas Morning News
    stevethompson@dallasnews.com

A robbery gone bad in northeast Dallas turned into a gunbattle early Wednesday that ended with one man dead, another injured and another facing charges.

Police found small amounts of marijuana during their investigation and were looking into whether the events were drug-related.

Police said Wednesday afternoon they had not confirmed the identity of the man who died.

It started about 2 a.m. at a home on the 9000 block of Woodshore Drive, in a neighborhood near where Greenville Avenue intersects Royal Lane. Four or five intruders broke into the home and surprised its owner, 25-year-old Mark Stinson, while he was sleeping.

They forced him at gunpoint to open a safe containing several thousands of dollars, police say, and then they tried to flee in an SUV. But Mr. Stinson had a gun of his own and fired it as they tried to drive away.

It was unclear whether they fired back, Dallas police homicide Sgt. Larry Lewis said. “But we did pick up different caliber rounds out there so we know at least more than one gun was being shot.”

The sergeant said at least 30 rounds were fired in all.

Less then a mile away, the occupants of the SUV pulled over because tires were shot out. They called 911 as one of the occupants died of gunshot wounds. Another, a 17-year-old boy, was arrested at the scene. The others fled.

Another man, 18-year-old Davane Jones, soon showed up at a local hospital with gunshot wounds. Police arrested him and the 17-year-old on charges of aggravated robbery.

As for the homeowner, Mr. Stinson, police say they will leave any possible charges up to the district attorney’s office and a grand jury. “Even though by our investigation it appears he was justified under Texas law to defend his house and his property...we don’t make that decision,” Sgt. Lewis said.
    http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont....d06caa29.html

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar

Now let's see who sez it was a bad shoot

...as it appears the homeowner chased them down and shot at them as they were driving away, shooting out their tires and killing at least one of them.

Regardless of the law, I say he DONE GOOD! and if more were that way, we could damn near put an end to violent crooks, or at least diminish their numbers significantly.

Anyway, if someone invades your home and threatens your life, you too might go off on them -- who knows? It isn't a game of chess, where you think carefully about your next move.

Yeah--I heard this story....it will be interesting to find out all of the facts of the case. Generally, running out of the house chasing down the BGs as they are fleeing is contrary to "self-defense".

I guess it depends on your state's laws as to whether it is a good shoot or not. I don't think I'd pursue the BG's out of the house and start shooting; I'd be afraid of murder charges.

"Police found small amounts of marijuana during their investigation and were looking into whether the events were drug-related."

Wonder where this was found. Homeowner? Perps? Committing a crime (marijuana possession?) with a firearm in your possession in FL adds significant jail time.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Why the would (1) a person keep "several thousands of dollars" cash in their home as opposed to say an FDIC insured and much more secure bank, and (2) how would a group of HS aged teens find out about as much, and as noted earlier (3) "running out of the house chasing down the BGs as they are fleeing is contrary to 'self-defense'".

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    I'd like to know why reporters use the term "robbery gone bad."

What the ?! As if there's such a thing as a "robbery gone RIGHT"?! What's a robbery-gone-right? When the robber succeeds in getting anything and everything he demands from his innocent victim?

Or is it when the victim is able to fight back, end the robbery attempt, possibly disable or kill his attacker?

I vote for the latter. That's a robbery-gone-good. A robbery gone bad is one in which I get robbed and can't stop the robbery or successfully incapacitate my attacker. If he gets away with my stuff, that's a robbery-gone-bad.

VIP Member
    I agree with the "robbery gone bad" expression, the same thing is "drug deal gone bad". Isn't that poor grammar written/used by journalists? I've gotten in the habit of emailing the reporters about something they wrote, I sometimes get a response. I think they need the feedback.
    By the way I think that reporters should be licensed to report the news to the general public. Being overtly biased and/or inaccurate would cause a suspension of their license
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    I'd like to know why reporters use the term "robbery gone bad."

What the ?! As if there's such a thing as a "robbery gone RIGHT"?! What's a robbery-gone-right?
    It all depends on your perspective. If you are on the side of the "victimized" of our society, i.e., the lowlifes who are out trying to take what you have earned because society didn't give them a fair shake (and liberal colleges have taught you to feel guilty about that), well, of course it would be a robbery gone bad.

OTOH, if you were so twisted and sick as to believe that we have the God-given right to life, liberty and the PURSUIT of happiness, then there would be no such thing as a robbery in the first place.

Once again, IMHO, the sick logic of liberalism rears its ugly head. Their words will out them every time.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

A robbery gone bad ... ended with one man dead, another injured and another facing charges ... Mr. Stinson had a gun of his own and fired it as they tried to drive away ... police say they will leave any possible charges up to the district attorney’s office and a grand jury.
    Victim is uninjured and still standing. The perps are dead or caught. Sounds like a robbery "gone good" to me.

Several thousand dollars. 25yrs of age. Someone "in the business" perhaps? Hard to know, but not unknown to happen.

He was firing at a fleeing car, but then they were armed, dangerous and decidedly capable/willing of using lethal violence on others. Plus, it's Texas. So, he's likely covered for his actions. Good for him, for surviving a rough time. Time to beef up the perimeter defenses, get another dog that won't sleep, alarm with an outer zone, a Fox/bar brace for the doors, a heavy door/frame for the "safe" room, etc. How easy it is to be surprised, if you're asleep and have no secure perimeter ...
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Yeah--I heard this story....it will be interesting to find out all of the facts of the case. Generally, running out of the house chasing down the BGs as they are fleeing is contrary to "self-defense".
    Texas law does allow deadly force to be used in defense of property under certain conditions. That includes against BG's trying to flee from the scene of certain offenses. I think this is part of what they mean when they talk about "Texas Justice".

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Why the would (1) a person keep "several thousands of dollars" cash in their home as opposed to say an FDIC insured and much more secure bank, and (2) how would a group of HS aged teens find out about as much, and as noted earlier (3) "running out of the house chasing down the BGs as they are fleeing is contrary to 'self-defense'".

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

- Janq
    1) any myriad of reasons. If I were such a person with enough money to do so...I would just for the fact that I may need a lot of cash at a moments notice without being able to make a withdraw or wire transfer.
    2) He had a big mouth?
    3) it's not necessarily contrary...he's defending against future returns by the same gang
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

He may have been within his "rights" to do it but loosing off 30 plus shots at a fleeing vehicle in a neighborhood like that isn't the most responsible thing to do. I'm sure he was freaked out and angry but you've got to control yourself.
    "Friend, I would not harm thee for all the world, but thou art standing where I am about to shoot."--Unknown Quaker

Quote Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
    He may have been within his "rights" to do it but loosing off 30 plus shots at a fleeing vehicle in a neighborhood like that isn't the most responsible thing to do. I'm sure he was freaked out and angry but you've got to control yourself.
    The Sgt said there were multiple weapons fired. We don't know how many of those thirty shots were his.

In the words of Jeff Cooper

We continue to be exasperated by the view, apparently gaining momentum in certain circles, that armed robbery is okay as long as nobody gets hurt! The proper solution to armed robbery is a dead robber, on the scene. - Jeff Cooper

I would say though that it is suspect to chase them out and shoot their tires: liability, morally and tactically.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links