S.Florida is standing up against crime another success!

This is a discussion on S.Florida is standing up against crime another success! within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/loc...,3939524.story Tequesta - Police are investigating a homicide that started off as a burglary early Thursday morning, police said Friday. Police responded to a burglary ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: S.Florida is standing up against crime another success!

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/loc...,3939524.story Tequesta - Police are investigating a homicide that started off as a burglary early Thursday morning, police said Friday.

Police responded to a burglary in progress call about 2:30 a.m. Thursday in the 100 block of Golfview Drive. When they got there the alleged thief, Paul Mantwill, was lying outside of the home with injuries. The resident, James Fantin, fired two shots but it is unclear if that is what killed Mantwill, police spokesman Peter Allen said. An autopsy will be performed today to determine the cause of death and no charges have been filed against Fantin.

Mantwill was taken to St. Mary's Medical Center in West Palm Beach where he was pronounced dead 8 a.m. Thursday.

if it's true that he actualy tried to break in sounds to be legal self defense. thanks to the castle doctrine!
    SigP226, SigP232SS, GLock 27, Glock 23, M&P9C, M&P 40C, Tika T3 .308, New England Rifle .17 HMR. DPMS AR-10 .308, Mossberg 500, Bersa .380, Olympic Arms AR15 Pistol, Kimber CDP2 Ultra, Kimber CDP2 compact, S&W 432pd,CX4 storm .40

Taxpayers saved an expensive trial and jail stay. Good job Mr. Fantin.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

The resident, James Fantin, fired two shots but it is unclear if that is what killed Mantwill, police spokesman Peter Allen said. An autopsy will be performed today to determine the cause of death and no charges have been filed against Fantin.
    I'm no coroner but the first thing I would look for would be bullet holes in the dead body. Anyway I'm glad to hear that Mantwill has been successfully rehabilitated.
    "Some people go to bed with Lucifer..........then cry, cry, cry when they don't greet the day with God."

Quote Originally Posted by craze View Post
    I'm no coroner but the first thing I would look for would be bullet holes in the dead body. Anyway I'm glad to hear that Mantwill has been successfully rehabilitated.
    Either that or the guy just had a heart attack after being shot at. Gawd, I love that castle doctrine..

VIP Member
    Uh Oh... Either the spin is in or there is something else going on:

Resident shoots Tequesta man he thought was breaking in
    Click-2-Listen
    By ANA X. CERON

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Friday, August 03, 2007

TEQUESTA A man is dead after a resident shot at him with a handgun because he thought the man was trying to break into his house.

Shortly before 2:30 a.m. on Thursday, police responded to a call about a burglary in progress at the home of James and Sabrina Fantin, according to a news release. They found Paul Mantwill of Tequesta lying injured outside the home at 198 Golfview Drive.

Mantwill, 41, was flown to St. Mary's Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead at about 8 a.m. that same morning.

Police are investigating the incident as a possible homicide, spokesman Peter Allen said.

The preliminary investigation indicates that 41-year-old James Fantin thought Mantwill was trying to break into his house, and Fantin fired two shots from a handgun. Allen said Friday that it was inconclusive whether Mantwill was struck by the shots, and that police are waiting on the medical examiner's ruling for a cause of death. An autopsy on Mantwill was being done Friday.

Mantwill's neighbors on Yacht Club Place described him as a nice, gentle man who lived with his parents, tending to his mother, Pauline, before she died of cancer in February.

Pete and Joan Gomez, who lived on the small waterfront cul-de-sac with the Mantwill family, said that Paul Mantwill spent his Sundays ushering the 10:30 morning mass at St. Jude Catholic Church and was a member of the Knights of Columbus, they said.

"Every time we were out, he'd come over and talk, he was very friendly," Joan said.

"I'm surprised he was out that early in the morning," her husband said Less than a mile away, the Fantin's butter-colored home seemed vacant. The blinds on the front windows were closed shut, the driveway was empty and yellow "caution" tape sealed off the back yard. The Fantins could not be reached for comment.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Mantwill's neighbors on Yacht Club Place described him as a nice, gentle man who lived with his parents, tending to his mother, Pauline, before she died of cancer in February.
    "His mother was often heard telling what a good boy Norman...I mean Paul is"

Geez, 41 and still living with his parents isn't seen as a sign of something screwy in Florida?
    mano3 likes this.

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar
    And another one's gone,
    And another one's gone,
    Another one bites the dust.
    Hey Hey !!

One more reason every state needs Castle Doctrine. More chlorine, please.
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

Quote Originally Posted by steveHK View Post
    Either that or the guy just had a heart attack after being shot at. Gawd, I love that castle doctrine..
    I have personally witnessed this one as a kid.

It figures a newspaper would attempt to put a dramatic twist on the story, it sells more papers and that's what they're all about.

... burglary in progress ... thief lying outside with injuries ... resident fired two shots but it is unclear if that is what killed [the thief] ...
    Fear of being caught with his pants down, perhaps?

Thugs just don't seem to learn that they need other people's housewares like they need another hole in the head. Dumb, as always.

* All of this assumes the early news stories are accurate, of course.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cocolo View Post
    I have personally witnessed this one as a kid.
    My EMS station had a woman one time that was picking up her 14 year old son from hunting, his .410 shotgun NDed in the back seat. She passed out. No injury found but vital signs were going South. At the hospital, the MD administered the only definitive treatment, as she was near death. He began yelling in her ear that she had not been shot, and she was OK. Within a few minutes she woke up.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kd5nrh View Post
    Geez, 41 and still living with his parents isn't seen as a sign of something screwy in Florida?
    The other way around. Parents are retiring and living with their kids. Double or Triple that if they are Hispanics raised Old School.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by kd5nrh View Post
    Honestly? Not really... We got all types down here...

-B

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    The story reports that the shooting is being investigated as a "possible homicide."

If gunshot wounds are found on the man (this seems to be in question), then it IS a "homicide."

The news people don't seem to have a handle, many times, on the fact that when someone kills another person is IS a HOMICIDE regardless of whether it was criminal or justifiable.

They treat the word "homicide" as though it means the same as murder. But then, these are same people who occasionally report on the use of a ".40 caliber semi-automatic service revolver."

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cjaiv View Post
    fantin shot a unarmed mentally handicap man out his window. The man never broke into or breached the fantins home. I am a responsible gun owner and concealed carry permit holder..... I can clearly see fantin made a huge mistake, one that cost a innocent person his life. Not to mention that fantin never mentioned he discharged his firearm to the police when they arrived??? He should be held accountable.

Something that happened to me once... I live in Jupiter, next town to the South. Someone was banging on my window, 4 AM..... I looked out the window, saw a guy whom I had no idea who he was..... What did I do.... I own a gun.... I called the police, they showed up and took him away. I get the feeling from all your responses that you would have shot the guy who was banging on my window. Turns out it was a drunk guy who was at the wrong house. Should I have shot him? I am a person that has common sense and can think before I act. Maybe the mentally handicap man was lost, maybe he thought he got locked out of his home and was trying to get back in..... something to think about before you act. I am still confused that my fellow gun owners would think it was just what happened here?
    You got some links to backup your first paragraph?
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links