Off Duty Officer Defends Home

This is a discussion on Off Duty Officer Defends Home within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; From the Fresno Bee News Briefs : Peace officer exchanges fire with intruder An off-duty peace officer exchanged gunfire with a man who had broken ...

From the Fresno Bee News Briefs:

Peace officer exchanges fire with intruder

An off-duty peace officer exchanged gunfire with a man who had broken into his house Wednesday morning, Fresno police said.

The shooting happened on the 4000 block of West Weldon Avenue, where the officer, who works for the state of California, lives, Lt. Mark Salazar of the Street Violence Bureau said.

Two males forcibly entered the home, where they were surprised by the victim, Salazar said. One suspect shot at the officer, who returned fire. No one was hit, and the two burglars fled, along with a third man, in a silver four-door 2000 BMW, Salazar said.

Anyone with information on this case is asked to contact homicide detective Chris Serrano at (559) 621-2452, or to remain anonymous, call Crime Stoppers at (559) 498-STOP, where a $1,000 reward is offered for information leading to an arrest.
    Lex et Libertas — Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

time for retraining and qualifying if he didn't even hit him
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

I was thinking the same thing, glad he didn't get hit.

BigE good job posting this I was just about to. :)

Glad he's OK. I wonder if the fact that noone ever hits what they are aiming at is due to the natural point of aim. They are issued a glock or it's what everyone else has so they get one. It shoots great slow fire using the sights, but I personally can't hit crap by point shooting one (I know I'm not alone). I think every carry gun should be tested by the carrier for natural point of aim, as it seems that no matter how much you train, there is a better than 50% chance that you won't be using the sights when you have incoming.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Quote Originally Posted by LBrombach View Post
    I wonder if the fact that noone ever hits what they are aiming at is due to the natural point of aim. They are issued a glock or it's what everyone else has so they get one. It shoots great slow fire using the sights, but I personally can't hit crap by point shooting one (I know I'm not alone).
    I don't really know if there's such a thing as a "natural' point of aim. There is a point of aim that you are used to, but it can be changed with enough practice.

Recently, I switched from a HK USPc to a Glock for my carry gun. When I first tried it, I was always pointing a little high (as most people who aren't used to the Glock grip angle do). After a hundreds of practice draws and a couple thousand rounds of live fire, it points right where I intend it to. I picked up my old HK this weekend and found that it points low for me now.

You never know in situations like that. He could have fired over his shoulder as he retreated to another room or shot blindly around a corner. I have never been in a fire fight so, not for me to judge his marksmanship. The main thing is he defended his home.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

Definately agree that the main thing is that he still here.

Blackeagle:
    I see what you are saying and it makes sense. At least for someone who is going to practice a lot. Then there are those like me who don't or can't should as often as they should or would like. So I'm stickin with what matches up with my unchanged "natural" point of aim.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

IIRC the following happened in the summer of 1979: A Special Forces Operator had just been given an urgent mission and he had returned to his home to pick up some mission specific gear before reporting to the waiting aircraft. Upon entering his home, he surprised a burglar who made an aggressive move. The Operator smoothly drew his Browning Hi-Power 9mm and drilled the guy twice straight thru the heart. The bullet holes were touching each other dead center. He left the body where it lay and picked up his gear.

When he hit the aircraft ramp he told his Team Leader who transmitted the situation to higher headquarters. A team was apparently sent to do the clean up and file the proper paperwork. I don't know what more came of it, since the mission was the failed attempt to rescue the Iranian Hostages at Desert 1. I don't know if this guy was one of the eight who died in the horrific plane wreck during the first EVER "Operational" use of what has become known as the legendary Delta Force. The incident was listed in the autobiography of the late COL "Chargin'" Charlie Beckwith, first commander of Delta.

I guess it's the difference between a blue collar workin' cop and a world class pro with a gun. The pro handles a firearm with the same efficiency as a wolf uses his teeth to defend himself and to eat.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

When your exchanging rounds with someone, things aren't exactly the same as the range. Thats why training and practice are so important. Your life may truly depend on it. Just my humble opinion.

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    I think everyone should under go military training, but thats a completly differnt forum... I am glad the BG's didn't win.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by SilenceDoGood View Post
    I think everyone should under go military training, but thats a completly differnt forum.
    Considering that most military pistol training (outside elite units) does not seem to be very good, I don't know how much that would help.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    Considering that most military pistol training (outside elite units) does not seem to be very good, I don't know how much that would help.
    You can say that again! I was a Corpsman attached to 2nd MarDiv and when I got pistol training in FMSS they showed me a mound of dirt and said Shoot! (HiJack Over)
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

When I was in Iraq we did some AC work for some EOD guys. They thanked us by taking us to the range and let us shoot off some rounds. (people in the desert really like it when they get air conditioning) While we were there one of the officers handed me his Beretta and asked if I wanted to shoot it. That was the only training I ever received on handguns in the military.
    Eat a moose... 50,000 wolves can't be wrong.

Also curious about not getting a hit. Not only should he have been 'practiced' with his weapon, he should also have been better able to control the pressure of the situation...
    I wasn't there...lots of factors involved...glad he is OK.
    Sorry, that the dirtbags aren't taking 'dirt naps'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links