Burglar gets more than he bargained for

This is a discussion on Burglar gets more than he bargained for within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Newbie shooter and still does not get it but it came out OK Man Chases Away Burglary Suspect With Gunfire Tiffani Helberg Reporting (CBS4) MIAMI ...

VIP Member

Newbie shooter and still does not get it but it came out OK

Man Chases Away Burglary Suspect With Gunfire

Tiffani Helberg
    Reporting

(CBS4) MIAMI A Miami homeowner who was frustrated by two previous burglaries took matters into his hands the third time around, shooting at and chasing away a burglary suspect on Wednesday.

According to Miami Police, 41-year-old Edson Morales broke into Eduard Escobar's duplex at 2197 NW 18th Street. Escobar says he bought a gun after his home was broken into the first two times, and this time he put it to use. Escobar chased Morales out of the house with a gun, running after him, while firing shots in his direction and up in the air, but Morales was not injured by gunfire.

"If I wanted to shoot him, I would shoot him inside and I would kill, but I don't want to kill him because he's a human being like me," said Escobar.

Wednesday afternoon the a City of Miami Fire Captain was in the area of Northwest 22nd Avenue and 18th Street when he allegedly witnessed the shooting, calling police for help. Once they arrived, police surrounded a perimeter in the neighborhood, looking for the suspect.

Thanks to a police dog, officers found Morales hiding under a bush, bleeding from a cut to his left hand when he allegedly broke in through a glass window at the home. He also suffered a bite at the expense of the police K-9, which found him blocks away at an apartment complex.

He was arrested and taken to Ward D at Jackson Memorial Hospital to get treatment for his wounds.

Members of the City of Miami Police Department’s Burglary Unit arrested Ramos for Attempted Burglary, Possession of Burglary Tools, and Carrying a Concealed Weapon (Switch Blade).

Police say they will not charge Escobar because he was acting in self-defense.
    Here is the Video, actually 2 videos. The second one is the official "Took Law in his own hands" and "I do not recommend people to own guns" crappola. I guess they would rather have a murder investigation than a failed burglary investigation.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Senior Moderator
    "If I wanted to shoot him, I would shoot him inside and I would kill, but I don't want to kill him because he's a human being like me," said Escobar.
    But he'll pop off a few rounds into the air at random and risk killing someone else?

Wow.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

VIP Member
    That is why I made the "Newbie" comment. He'd probably ended the confrontation by just aiming the gun at the BG but I am betting the cuban thing got in the way
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Good thing nobody got hurt.

88m
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    "I do not recommend people to own guns" crappola. I guess they would rather have a murder investigation than a failed burglary investigation.
    To be fair he said that most people that arm them selves are hurt by the same gun they bought to defend themselves. He's right in a way. If your not trained properly and know what to do just that can happen. Also -and this is a major sore point for me- if you pull to bluff your more than likely going to get hurt. NEVER EVER PULL YOUR WEAPON TO BLUFF ! Only pull it if your are willing to use it.

Case in point:
    He was bluffing if the BG had a firearm he would have been toast. Not even going to get into what has already been said about him firing into the air.

Sorry all but the “bluff card” really is a sore point.
    “The will to survive is not as important as the will to prevail... the answer to criminal aggression is retaliation.” Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    It was sure nice of the police to say that they don't recommend that citizens arm themselves because they will end up being hurt with their own guns!

I'm sure the citizens will be perfectly safe while they wait for the police to save them! Yeah, right...
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 88m View Post
    To be fair he said that most people that arm them selves are hurt by the same gun they bought to defend themselves.
    I always hear that argument. Is there some study done about that ? I would love to see the stats.
    Randy Cain.

Wow... I gotta applaude him on getting fed up with burgleries....

However, with no more respect for a firearm or having more responsibility than what he just showed is gonna land him in trouble one day!

When he's around... Everybody Duck!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

88m
    It should be worded untrained people.
    As to hard statistics I have seen them a couple times in a class but can I find them now of course not. I’ll have to ask one of my old instructors where he got them so I can post the URL.

In any case my point was, do not bluff and get some training. You should only pull a weapon be it firearm, knife or even a rock if you are willing to use it and use it right. I have had that pounded into my head since I was a little kid by my Grandfather and latter on by the Army, the police academy, and civ firearm trainers. They all said the same thing and I take it as gospel.

Escobar used a weapon to defend himself and his home good for him. Though the bad side is that he bluffed and showed poor judgment in the way he did fire his weapon. In his case all ended well but it could have ended very differently. I do not even want to go into what could have gone wrong.

It is when those things DO go wrong that gives the anti-gun lobby there ammo to use against us.
    “The will to survive is not as important as the will to prevail... the answer to criminal aggression is retaliation.” Jeff Cooper

I would love to see the statistics compared between injured and un-injured gun owners. We all know what the results will be, but would be awesome to look at.
    "Like a muddied spring or polluted well is a righteous man who gives way to the wicked." -Proverbs 25:26

"If the thief is found breaking in, and he is struck so that he dies, there shall be no guilt for his bloodshed..." -Exodus 22:2

VIP Member
    According to the CDC in the year 2000 there were 3,016 self-inflicted injuries involving a firearm. With an estimate of 2 million uses of firearms for self defense every year (Lott) and I don't know how many million firearms in private ownership, I think the "most people that arm themselves are hurt by the same gun they bought to defend themselves" argument is bogus as hell.

I think you were given numbers from the Kellerman report which has been debunked long time ago but continues to be used by many antigunners.
    Randy Cain.

I'm glad everything turned out okay. But I think he needs to stop watching movies and get some training.

According to he news story, Edson Morales broke into the home of Eduard Escobar. Morales was later found in hiding with the help of a K-9 unit. Ramos was arrested. Who the heck is Ramos?

stories like this make me cringe. Escobar and his neighbors were lucky that no one was hit with his "shots in the air" and "reconnaisance by fire" approach in an attempt to get the burglar. I guess Miami PD is more forgiving with citizens chasing and cranking off a few shots away from your house to defend such property.
    "embrace the suck" - our warriors in the sandbox... it implies that do the best you can in impossible conditions.
    "no plan survives intact upon contact with the enemy" - wisdom of the Grunts.

Links