Police Release 911 Tapes Of Woman Who Killed Intruder (Armed Citizen)

This is a discussion on Police Release 911 Tapes Of Woman Who Killed Intruder (Armed Citizen) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; WESH.com ^ | May 31, 2005 INDIALANTIC, Fla. -- Investigators released the name Tuesday of a man shot while breaking into the home of a ...

Thread: Police Release 911 Tapes Of Woman Who Killed Intruder (Armed Citizen)

Thumbs up Police Release 911 Tapes Of Woman Who Killed Intruder (Armed Citizen)

WESH.com ^ | May 31, 2005

INDIALANTIC, Fla. -- Investigators released the name Tuesday of a man shot while breaking into the home of a Brevard County woman over the weekend.

They are praising the actions of the woman, who was able to find her gun in the dark and defend herself, WESH 2 News reported.

Investigators said Jason Preston, 33, made so much noise breaking into the home, he not only woke up the owner, but also a next-door neighbor.

Widow Judith Kuntz, 64, lives alone. She said she heard and saw the man holding a flashlight come to her bedroom door in the darkened house.

"(Someone) broke into my house and I think I shot him," Kuntz told a 911 operator.

"Where did you shoot him," the dispatcher asked.

"I don't know. I shot at somebody who was at my bedroom door. I don't know. I'm not gonna come out of my bedroom," Kuntz said.

She only needed to fire one shot from her .38-caliber revolver. After that, the burglar staggered out into the yard and died.

"Did the person scream?" the dispatcher asked.

"Yes. Oh, I'm so scared," Kuntz said.

"OK. Just stay on the phone with me, m'am. I'm gonna get somebody there," the dispatcher said.

"Please, please hurry," Kuntz said.

Investigators said Preston was living temporarily with a cousin two streets away. He was looking for work, having just arrived from Michigan. Investigators said it should have been obvious that someone was home. They're still wondering if his intentions were burglary or worse.

"He's the only one that knows, and he's deceased," said a spokesman for the Brevard County Sheriff's Department.

Neighbors are unanimous in their support for the homeowner.

"I guess when you're scared and that's your reaction, is to defend yourself, is what you do, especially in your own home," said neighbor Gail Fischer.

"She did a great job," the sheriff's department spokesman said.

Investigators said Preston had a record of property crimes and domestic violence in Michigan.

Florida recently passed a law that gives citizens the same right to self-defense on the streets as was exercised by Kuntz in her home.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

2. Remove Ads

Don't get me wrong, this is clearly a case where the intruder got what he deserved and no less.

But I would never shoot through a door at an unknown target and I live alone. The reason why is that all of my immediate family members have keys.

Fourth rule people. Learn from what happened to this fortunately now safe woman. Under different circumstances this could have gone from a success to a tragedy real quick.

Assistant Administrator
    Yep - the thru-the-door angle did phase me a bit. But to counter that - was all the noise and ruckus - enough it would seem to make invasion very much the obvious scenario.

With friends, relatives - it would I think be about the norm (them knowing you were armed too!) to holler to announce well in advance - calling name etc - and voices recognizable.

It might have been ''ideal'' if she'd waited for door to open and even had she had a flashlight checked him out with that - perhaps just a mere extra two second delay before shooting. She was tho very scared and hyped up I'd think.

At least it did go well.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

You guys are heartless

He was looking for work.

He was living with a cousin two streets away.

Just arrived from Michigan.

The poor thaang!
    There's a reason The Sopranos is set in New Jersey.
    Basic Pistol

It doesn't say the door was closed. It says she SAW a man holding a flashlight so evidently the door must have been open. Poor lady must have been terrified though. I hope I never have to use mine. What a thing to have to go through.

"Widow Judith Kuntz, 64, lives alone. She said she heard and saw the man holding a flashlight come to her bedroom door in the darkened house.

"(Someone) broke into my house and I think I shot him," Kuntz told a 911 operator.

"Where did you shoot him," the dispatcher asked.

"I don't know. I shot at somebody who was at my bedroom door. I don't know. I'm not gonna come out of my bedroom," Kuntz said."

Assistant Administrator
    Mrs B ... welcome! First time I have seen you.

Good point - of course ''doorway'' might well be a more accurate term than just ''door''.
    Chris - P95

Why thanks! I joined a while back but since I'm now actually carrying, I feel more like I belong here now!

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Mrs B ... welcome! First time I have seen you.

Good point - of course ''doorway'' might well be a more accurate term than just ''door''.

Assistant Administrator
    I'm now actually carrying, I feel more like I belong here now!
    Haha - well VERY glad to know you are now carrying, but I'd have said you ''belonged'' before

Be interested sometime to hear of your prefences and your environment etc - your choice of practice .... and so on. Always more than interesting to know what other folks do. CC is a great place to learn and exchange ideas.
    Chris - P95

Links