Did you guys see this one?

This is a discussion on Did you guys see this one? within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Jury acquits Pittsburg County man in killing McALESTER (AP) - A Pittsburg County jury on Wednesday acquitted a man of first-degree murder in the death ...

Thread: Did you guys see this one?

Did you guys see this one?

Jury acquits Pittsburg County man in killing

McALESTER (AP) - A Pittsburg County jury on Wednesday acquitted a man of first-degree murder in the death of a former employee.

Jurors deliberated a little more than an hour before finding Mike Krebbs not guilty of murder in the Aug. 3, 2006, death of Ty Mordecai outside Krebbs' home near Blocker. The panel also acquitted Krebbs, 34, of the lesser charge of first-degree manslaughter in the heat of passion.

As the jury foreman read the verdict, Krebbs, who had been leaning forward with his eyes closed, slowly exhaled. Mordecai's mother, Kathy Mordecai, who had gathered signatures on a petition for a grand jury investigation of her son's death, sat in silence.

Mordecai had once worked for Krebbs' construction company and the two men had been friends.

Krebbs testified on Wednesday that he shot Mordecai, but did so after he was assaulted. Witnesses also said that Mordecai had threatened Krebbs previously.

On the stand, Krebbs said Mordecai had called him earlier that night wanting to fight him and had threatened to burn his house down if he didn't come home. When Krebbs returned to his residence around 1:30 or 2 a.m., he saw a strange car parked outside his driveway and another one pulling out from his home, according to his testimony.

He said he put a clip in a handgun he had in his truck, and when he pulled up close to his house, he saw Mordecai waiting for him.

Krebbs told the jury that Mordecai attacked him as he sat inside his truck.

“He was coming in through the window,” Krebbs told the jury. “I shot, not to kill him, just to get him away from me.”

Krebbs also said he fired several more shots because he didn't know if Mordecai had a weapon. None of the other bullets struck Mordecai, according to testimony.

Emily Redman, the district attorney for Bryan, Atoka and Coal counties who was appointed to try the case, told jurors that Krebbs ran after Mordecai and shot at him with a pistol at least five times.

Redman was assigned to the case after the recusal of Pittsburg County District Attorney Jim Miller, who knew Krebbs.

When Miller declined to file charges in the weeks after the shooting, Kathy Mordecai gathered signatures to urge authorities to take action in the case.

Kathy Mordecai wasn't available for comment on Wednesday.

http://www.durantdemocrat.com/articl...news/news4.txt

All I can say is wow... thank the lord for people with common sense.

2. Remove Ads

I'm not a parent and will never be a mother (been called one a few times) but I always feel for mothers who lose their criminal children in a situation like this, but I wish that they could set aside their hearts and see the situation for what it really is.

We had a similar situation in my area where an early 20's man was shot and killed by a Highway patrol Officer who the BG was trying to drag behind his vehicle. Great Cop and a ******* nice guy. Wouldn't you know that the BG's family picketed the Govt Center for weeks calling him a murderer.

I know it must feel horrific to lose a child, even if he is a criminal but they don't have to drag down the innocent with them.
    Lex et Libertas — Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Deacon51 View Post
    thank the lord for people with common sense.
    They're in short supply, seems like. It sure worked here, though.

So, wait... the DA got pressured into taking the case after initially declining charges? How does that work?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post

So, wait... the DA got pressured into taking the case after initially declining charges? How does that work?
    My thoughts exactly....
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

It reads like the DA thought the shooting was justified and did not take it to the Grand Jury... so the mother protested and got the grand jury to hear the case, which the grand jury sent to trial. The DA then recused himself and another DA took over the case. It went to trial, Not Guilty Verdict was handed down.

It stinks that the Grand Jury sent it to trial, and it stinks that the grand jury sent it to trial, but the not guilty verdict was a real winner.

I don't know, legal fees not factoring in, I would think a "Not Guilty" would be better than "No indictment filed".

I wonder if he has grounds for a civil suit against the mother?

This wouldn't happen here. We now have an affirmative defense, and the DA would have to prove that the defendant WASN'T in fear for his life. It would have been no-billed by the grand jury.
    NRA Benefactor member
    Michigan Antique Arms Collectors life member
    Ohio Gun Collectors member

Opinions expressed here are based upon Michigan state law ONLY. Other state laws may differ. Know and observe your local laws.

"Krebbs also said he fired several more shots because he didn't know if Mordecai had a weapon. None of the other bullets struck Mordecai, according to testimony."

"Emily Redman, the district attorney for Bryan, Atoka and Coal counties who was appointed to try the case, told jurors that Krebbs ran after Mordecai and shot at him with a pistol at least five times."

There is some misinformation here somewhere.

This part of OK is one of the most corrupt pieces of real estate outside Mexico. This happened before the OK "stand your ground" law went into effect.

Some more of the story:

http://www.mcalesternews.com/local/l...181192041.html

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigEFan View Post
    I'm not a parent and will never be a mother (been called one a few times) but I always feel for mothers who lose their criminal children in a situation like this, but I wish that they could set aside their hearts and see the situation for what it really is.
    Exactly, because my bet is that Kathy Mordecai went around LYING about what happened, giving the old "my boy was a good boy who always had a smile for everyone and was always there to help people" crap, concealing the facts about her son's threatening behavior and criminally violent attack on Mr. Krebbs.

I'd really like to read what the content of the petition that she circulated was.

Political chicanery abounds...and every 'axe murderer' has a mother who sees only a loving child...OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    BigE hits the nail on the head.

Criminals hurt more people than just the victims of their crimes (as if they actually care). They cause idescribable anguish to their OWN families (if they come from decent ones to begin with). Same thing with drug users.

Just a bad, bad path to go down.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Links