MORE SELF~DEFENSE & Women!

MORE SELF~DEFENSE & Women!

This is a discussion on MORE SELF~DEFENSE & Women! within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; SHREVEPORT, La. An argument over a child has left a 45-year-old Shreveport man shot to death.Police concluded that last night's shooting was in self-defense and ...

Administrator

Thumbs up MORE SELF~DEFENSE & Women!

SHREVEPORT, La.

An argument over a child has left a 45-year-old Shreveport man shot to death.Police concluded that last night's shooting was in self-defense and no charges will be filed. They say Percy Davenport was killed during an argument that began over his four-year-old grandniece.Investigators say Davenport pulled two guns and came after the child's father, who grabbed one of the guns and shot Davenport.The name of the man who shot Davenport was not released. (From KTBS-TV, Shreveport)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Henryetta Shooting Ruled ' Self-defense'
    The Henryetta doctor who admitted shooting a man is not expected to face criminal charges. Prosecutors say Doctor Wesley Parkhurst shot Gary Wayne Britt in self-defense. Henryetta Police say Doctor Parkhurst shot Britt twice Tuesday morning after Britt rammed the doctor's car then approached him outside City Hall. Henryetta's police chief says he's asking the district attorney to file charges of assault with a deadly weapon and domestic violence against Britt, who remains hospitalized in Tulsa in serious condition.

"Do Women Really Use Guns for Self-Defense?"

by Robert A. Waters

As author of The Best Defense: True Stories of Intended Victims Who Defended Themselves with a Firearm, I'm occasionally asked if women really use guns to defend themselves. I look in amazement at those who would pose such a question. Here are four true cases from my extensive files.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

"When it comes to your child, you don't know what you'll do," said Memphis, Tennessee resident Patsy Tankersley. "I knew I had to protect my daughter."

It was January 26, 1994, and the mother was home with her six-year-old daughter. As Tankersley stepped out onto her carport, one of two men hiding outside grabbed her and used a knife to force her back into the house. During the struggle, she was slashed and stabbed in the chest. Once inside, the two men robbed her. "They told me they wanted my purse," Tankersley told a reporter from the Memphis Commercial Appeal. "I told them they could take it and showed them where it was. I thought they'd leave." But they didn't.

"Take your pants down!" one of the intruders commanded. When she refused, the second assailant grabbed Tankersley's daughter and placed a knife to her throat. Tankersley then told the men she'd do what they wanted. They ordered her to go to the bedroom and come out naked. Instead, Tankersley came back with a .22-caliber semi-automatic pistol. She blasted four shots at the home invaders, hitting one in the chest and sending the second man fleeing.

In the attack, her daughter's throat was slashed. It required 18 stitches to repair the damage. However, both mother and daughter are alive because the mother had a firearm and the will to protect her daughter.

The shooting was ruled self-defense.

Rayna Ross was a single mom, and a U. S. Marine. Because of the blatant prejudice of the Marine Corps toward its enlisted women, she was court-martialled on a charge of First Degree Murder after killing a stalker who attacked her and her child.

Lance Corporal Ross had broken off a brief romance with another Marine, Anthony Goree. But the mentally unstable man wouldn't leave her alone. Her attorney summed up the weeks of terror Ross wa forced to endure. Captain Evans Roberts said, "After being stalked, harassed, beaten, and held against her will, LCPL Ross did the right thing. She pressed charges. Her assailant was arrested and confined to the brig after his armed assault of Ross in her battalion office. [But] based on the recommendation of a reviewing officer, Goree was released from the brig, and almost immediately absented himself from the base. Despite the best efforts of the Marine Corps and the Prince William County police, he was not found--until his final attack of Ross."

It happened at 3 a.m. Ross and her infant daughter were asleep on the same bed of her Woodbridge, Virginia apartment when Goree pried open the sliding glass door and entered. He kicked down the door of her bedroom, and attacked her with a bayonet. Shielding her daughter from the assailant, Ross fired two shots from a .380-caliber semi-automatic handgun, killing him.

Prince William County police ruled the killing justified. "There was no question this was self-defense," testified detective Richard Cantarella. "I beleive this guy was there to do some serious bodily harm or to kill her."

But the Marine Corps recommended that she be court-martialled. "I'm appalled, but not surprised," said Particia Ghormley, a former Marine and Director for the Military Project of the Women's Resource and Education Institute. "They couldn't get a single conviction in Tailhook, but, by God, they're going to get her."

Ross was eventually acquitted of murder after a military trial, but was forced to resign her commission from the Marine Corps.

March 16, 1996 started out as just another day for the owners of Southwest Precious Metals in Richardson, Texas. Robert Shelton was at the counter waiting on customers while his wife, Becky, did paperwork in the office. After the customers left, two men walked into the store.

One took a position next to the door while the second man walked to the glass counter and asked to see a 1-diamond ring. As Shelton reached down to get it, the man pulled out a 9 mm semi-automatic pistol. He pointed it at Shelton, and pulled the trigger. Click! The gun misfired. He pulled the trigger again and again, trying to get the gun to fire. Finally, the frustrated robber vaulted the counter and attacked Shelton. His panicked accomplice fled out the door and disappeared.

Becky Shelton heard the commotion outside the office and grabbed a .38-caliber revolver. The struggle was desperate now, with the robber knocking Shelton to the floor. Again and again the robber stuck the muzzle of the gun into Shelton's chest and pulled the trigger. Each time it jammed.

As the fight spilled into the office, Becky Shelton stood up and aimed at the assailant. She fired six times, striking the robber and killing him. Police, who said Becky Shelton had a permit to carry a gun, ruled the killing justifiable homicide.

In a recent interview, Ann Barry, a professor at Western Kentucky University, remembered the evening of May 12, 1997. "I had just turned in my grades ending the semester," she said. "I felt as though I was suffering from battle fatigue. I went to bed at 9:30 and fell into a deep sleep." Later, she heard a thump.

She turned over in her bed and went back to sleep. Then a loud bang awakened her again. It slowly dawned on her that someone was using an ax to batter down her back door. She heard a splintering sound, then everything went silent. "You talk about a few minutes of sheer terror," she recalled. "My heart was frozen. I'm just grateful to God I could function." Then she heard footsteps coming down the hall.

Barry pulled her .357 Magnum from the nightstand, and moved to the doorway in the bedroom. A shadow moved toward her. As her eyes grew accustomed to the darkness, she saw that the intruder held a gun. She watched him move closer, then peer into the bedroom opposite hers. Its light snapped on, and she jumped. As the invader turned toward her, Barry knew it was now or never. She pointed the gun at him and squeezed the trigger.

The flash blinded her for a moment, then she jumped back into the darkness of her bedroom. A good thing, too, for as soon as the bullet hit him, the intruder swung around and started spraying bullets at her. Barry raised her gun to fire again, but the invader began to stagger away. He'd been shot in the abdomen, and ran to a field across the street where he collapsed.

Barry was unhurt, although her bedroom was shot to pieces. Three professional burglars were later arrested for the home invasion and sentenced to long prison terms.

The shooting was ruled self-defense.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Assistant Administrator
    I wish to heck more women would do the sensible thing and carry - I am ever pleased (no, delighted) when I hear of another making the right decision.

The last 2 NRA Basic Pistol courses I have coached on we had a good number of savvy ladies and end of July when we put on the Personal Protection course, it will I expect be at least half attended by the ladies - I like that!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

P95Carry,

Where is the NRA Personal Protection course going to be? I'm looking for something local that my wife & I can attend.

Assistant Administrator
    Dirkster - the next one is July 30/31 weekend at Holidaysburg Consolidated Sportsmans Club - quite close to Altoona - Frankstown is close on route 22 (which incidentally is the route one of our folks has come from your direction).

If you are interested let me know and I'll put you in touch with Corey Murphy who is co-ordinating this course. We have 9 firm bookings right now and hope to keep max at 12, 14 tops.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

QK-thanks for the self defense articles, it is important to see the results of our important self defense effort. Sometimes I have wandered about the use of our guns if we really are getting to the point where more people defend themselves. Good read.
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

Links