Another Home Defense

This is a discussion on Another Home Defense within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Here's another one in Dallas just reported: http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Musi....ap/index.html Rick...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Home Defense

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar

Another Home Defense

Here's another one in Dallas just reported:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Musi....ap/index.html

Rick

2. Remove Ads

Is it just me, or has there been a ton of violence in the DFW area lately. It seems that every week for the last month or so someone has been murdered on the highway.

Interesting scenario, shooting through a door...seems to me like it ought to be ruled a good shoot, but I'd be interested in hearing the final word. Certainly not an example to follow, but hey...I might panic too if someone was kicking down my door at 4am.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sjp2452 View Post
    Interesting scenario, shooting through a door...seems to me like it ought to be ruled a good shoot, but I'd be interested in hearing the final word. Certainly not an example to follow, but hey...I might panic too if someone was kicking down my door at 4am.
    Those were my thoughts as well...curious how it is ruled since there was a barrier and he had not entered the house. Wonder if 911 was called before or after the shoot.

Rick

What a shame that such a talented musician had to kill himself in such a stupid and senseless way.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sjp2452 View Post
    While I am not familiar with Texas law, here in North Carolina if someone is trying to break down a door it is assumed you will be in fear of death or severe bodily harm and the use of deadly force is justifiable. If Texas has a similar law then I would say the homeowner used appropriate force to defend his and his family’s lives.

2nd guessing is tough unless you have to on a jury However with out retreating from his own home he could have called 911 or waited to see if the door would have held. It is tough to make the call not being there or having all the information but it is tough for me to call it justified when he could have waited an perhaps avoided killing the guy. ( after the fact it does not seem the guy was a died in the wool bg just a bad drunk this does not diminish the danger but does make you wish that he did not have to die. Clearly the actions of the individual who was knocking or banging on the door are what led up to the shooting )

Another case of suicide.

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    Don't know what anyone else was taught in their concealed weapons class but mine said that in NC if someone has put you in fear of your life and are trying to break down your door - shoot through the door - you don't have to wait until they are in the house.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar
    Another one bites the dust,
    Another one bites the dust.
    And another one's gone,
    And another one's gone,
    Another one bites the dust.
    Hey Hey!!

They said he wasn't violent. I wonder if someone told his girlfriend that before he beat her up? Or told the home owner that he was friendly and just needed a drink of water in the middle of the night. Oh well, another keyboard and guitarist headed to play for the worms. No loss, gene pool is a little cleaner.
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

I don't care if the guy was a talented musician or famous or anything else. If he was kicking my door in at 4am, I'd have shot through it too.

Any time some idiot removes themselves from the gene pool with such a stupid act, we all are a little better off.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member
    He was a keyboard player.... that explains a lot
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

I wonder if his last song was..."I'm Playing So the Fat Lady Can Sing!"???????
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Der Alte View Post
    Don't know what anyone else was taught in their concealed weapons class but mine said that in NC if someone has put you in fear of your life and are trying to break down your door - shoot through the door - you don't have to wait until they are in the house.
    I don't know what its like in NC, but in PA we don't have the castle doctrine. He was not in the house you were(according to PA laws) still safe. Yes I just had personal defense class. The lawyers will say "he was just trying to provide for his family and you murdered him" I also learned that if you are ever involved in a shooting and kill the BG. File a civil suite against the BG's family.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    While I am not familiar with Texas law, here in North Carolina if someone is trying to break down a door it is assumed you will be in fear of death or severe bodily harm and the use of deadly force is justifiable. If Texas has a similar law then I would say the homeowner used appropriate force to defend his and his family’s lives.

Correct me if i'm wrong. Your allowed to use deadly force in protection of your property in Texas right? he was protecting his front door.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links