Pregnant Woman Slashes Suspected Purse Snatcher

This is a discussion on Pregnant Woman Slashes Suspected Purse Snatcher within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; As reported by CBS 5 (AZ): Pregnant Woman Slashes Suspected Purse Snatcher POSTED: 7:30 pm PDT September 20, 2007 UPDATED: 8:39 pm PDT September 20, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pregnant Woman Slashes Suspected Purse Snatcher

As reported by CBS 5 (AZ):

POSTED: 7:30 pm PDT September 20, 2007
    UPDATED: 8:39 pm PDT September 20, 2007

GILBERT, Ariz. -- A 21-year-old woman three months pregnant attacked a suspected purse snatcher with a pocketknife as he fought with her on a dark Gilbert sidewalk, police said.

Investigators said the man, Filemon Del Hoyo, 22, was transported to Scottsdale Osborne Hospital with severe lacerations.

Officers said the ordeal began as the woman was walking home from an Applebee's restaurant near Gilbert Road and Baseline Road around 12:40 a.m. Thursday.

She told police she noticed a vehicle in a parking lot that looked suspicious by the way it was parked.

"There was a guy kind of hidden in the bushes," she said.

"It looked like he had something," the victim said.

Police said Del Hoyo ran towards her and asked for a cigarette.

"I pulled knife out and pulled the blade open," she told CBS 5 News.

"He asked me if I had a phone. I just kept walking," she said.

Moments later, officers said he grabbed her arm.

"I had my arm through my purse. He put his arm through the purse and he was pulling me while swinging at me with his other arm," she said.

The woman said she started swinging her knife.

"I felt like after I had slashed so many times that he still wouldn't let go. I felt like he was after more than my purse," she said.

Needing the rent money in her purse, the woman said she wouldn't give up.

"I was in fear for my life and my child," she said.

Finally, one last slashing and the injured and bleeding man ran to a getaway vehicle. The woman, still clutching her purse, followed and was able to get a license plate number.

Minutes after calling 911, officers located the vehicle in the area of 8th Street and Gilbert Road in Mesa. Del Hoyo was taken into custody at the scene and rushed to the hospital.

Investigators said they are working to determine whether or not Del Hoyo is affiliated with any criminal street gangs.

The woman said she is now rethinking baby names.

"Definitely going to be a hero baby," she said.

"That's what kept me fighting, knowing that it wasn't just me," the woman said.

The article can be found at; http://www.kpho.com/news/14166227/detail.html#

- Janq

Note: Great that she won out but why would a person walk around with their rent money stored in their purse, as opposed to being kept in a secure place like ohhh say the bank (?). She potentially could have set herself and her unborn baby up to be killed over rent money (!).
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Note: Great that she won out but why would a person walk around with their rent money stored in their purse, as opposed to being kept in a secure place like ohhh say the bank (?). She potentially could have set herself and her unborn baby up to be killed over rent money (!).
    Maybe she's a waitress and got her rent money in the form of tips that can't be direct deposited into a bank. You just never know.

Good for her, though. I'm glad she got away without harm and had the presence of mind to get the plate number too.

Glad she is ok, and the BG will maybe learn a lesson.

Lots of people don't have bank accounts. They live day to day, or week to week in many instances. The rent money that she was referring to may have been the tips she earned that night at work. It doesn't say whether she was going home from work or that she was a customer but at 12:40 a.m. that would be my impression that she had just gotten off work.

Some of my clients cash their employees pay checks for them because the employees don't have bank accounts and banks or check cashing places usually charge a fee to do it if you don't have an account.

I am not going to find any fault with the victim in this one, since I don't know her situation, just glad she and her child are ok.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Assistant Administrator
    Time of day was a definite downside but seems she was at least in good con yellow and was able to be prepared.

That is what we might call ''fighting spirit'' - and good for her.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Heck, I think we should get her a scholarship to Thunder Ranch and an XD9 tricked-out from the Springfield Custom Shop. I hope my son is wise & fortunate enough to marry a woman with that sort of grit!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Maybe she's a waitress and got her rent money in the form of tips that can't be direct deposited into a bank. You just never know.

Good for her, though. I'm glad she got away without harm and had the presence of mind to get the plate number too.
    Rent money...in a days tips...from an Applebees?
    That's a stretch.

Agreed one never knows and as such carrying large amounts of cash muchless cash you definitely need such as rent money, at 12:40AM in abandoned parking lots, is very much not wise. Go to the bank on break and make an ATM deposit.

Agreed though again good for her toward surviving and having mindset to get the lic. plate # too.
    I'm not finding fault with her but there is definitely a lesson to be learned; Do not carry your life necessary monies/savings on your person.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Hey Wait a Second...

Y'all are being VERY judgmental...with heavy over-tones of Arm Chair Quarterbacking! I can't see anything that said she worked at Applebee's, she was just walking home from there. She could be a waitress, a hostess, a cook, or could be a customer. The report said she needed the Rent Money in her purse. That could be only the first $20 of the Rent Money or it could be all of it. The important part is...she needed it. And, at this moment in her life & circumstances, her purse might be the most safe & secure location she HAS for keeping money. Maybe the folks at home steal from her if she tucks her savings into her Bible. And where does it say anywhere that the Parking Lot was abandoned?

Doesn't anyone (but me) find it interesting that the report says that SHE "attacked a suspected purse snatcher with a pocketknife"? Not "defended herself" not "thwarted the attempt" but she ATTACKED HIM?!?

It's damn easy for us, with jobs, cars, insurance, bank accounts, handguns, experience, and various indicators of a nice life to second guess the forced response of a pregnant woman during a violent, late-night assault. As far as I'm concerned...she did a better job than most of us would. She recognised Condition Red BEFORE the event. She had her weapon in hand. She STOPPED the attacker. She lived to tell the tale.

How much more do you EXPECT from a 21 year old pregnant woman?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Senior Moderator
    +1 ghost tracker

A lot of immigrants (legal and illegal) don't trust banks becuase the banks in their native countries couldn't be trusted. Plus banks can charge fees and if you are living paycheck to paycheck you probably can't afford any extra fees.

Plus her rent might not be that much and you can get a couple of $100 in tips working a 12 hour shift at a resturant especially one that serves alcohol.

She did as good as she could with what she had!!!!
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

GT,

The lesson learned remains the same, even if it was just $20 that one would need toward the full amount of ones rent.
    That $20, $200, $2000 or what ever it might have been was life necessary monies/savings and as such carry in one purse in specific nevermind ones body is not advisable nor as proven here secure.
    Even if you don't have a bank acct. there are many ways and methods toward securing as much.

As to the parking lot it was an Applebees lot at 12:40AM.
    My own local Applebees at that time of the morning is completely empty.
    As she stated to the press;
    "She told police she noticed a vehicle in a parking lot that looked suspicious by the way it was parked."
    Yeah no doubt it looked suspicious, considering it was likely one of few if any cars on the lot.

Again the lesson is don't carry on your person monies/valuables that if taken can or will make your life difficult to deal with thereafter. Including your rent money in whole or part, how ever you might have gained it. Ones person muchless a purse is not a secure means of transport.
    Also another lesson to be learned is that observation works wonders toward defense.

- Janq

Not to change the discussion... BUT...

I have been amazed at the amount of people that don't have a checking account!

I've had a few girlfriends that didn't, and it shocked me. They had a savings account, just not a checking. Although most of them were waitresses, and she said most of her friends didn't unless they were married.

Apparently a lot of people don't have one. Not just immigrants, but born Americans.

I couldn't imagine living without my debit card. Just my $.02

Yep, very many people do not have any sort of bank acct.
    So many that recently Wal-Mart has begun offering a non-bank check cashing and pre-paid cash card for it's customers as they have found a good portion of their own customers nationwide are in need of such a service.
    It's not at all uncommon as has been noted.

But that still does not change the fact of the lesson learned be one carrying life necessary money, gift certificate/cards, or whatever regardless of how they might have made their money.
    If you can't afford to lose it then don't carry it around on your person, regardless of your personal wealth status.

- Janq

Administrator

Thumbs up

As long as she sliced some meat open on the bad guy she did OK.
    Good for her.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

As far as I'm concerned...she did a better job than most of us would. She recognised Condition Red BEFORE the event. She had her weapon in hand. She STOPPED the attacker. She lived to tell the tale.

+2 ghost tracker

Hope that she slashed him well in the crotch.

Okay Gents, how did the attacker KNOW she had the Rent Money in her purse? Do you then think that knowledge was his motivation for the assault? And if she DIDN'T have the Rent Money in her purse, would / should she have simply let her attacker have the contents? It's my position that she didn't "set up herself & her unborn baby up to be killed over Rent Money. (!)". It may be one reason why she fought so tenaciously, but she also said she suspected the attacker wanted more than money. We'll never really know...but SHE was THERE.

As far as I'm concerned, the deceased attempted a violent crime against a victim who had only two options; surrender her purse & hope it ended there...or defend herself & her property with all available means & fight until she prevailed. The amount of money in her purse wasn't a concern to her attacker, only to her.

So, from our enviable position of 20/20 hindsite tactical debate, should she have just surrendered her purse (keys, cell phone, ID, etc.) at the first tug of the assault?

Doesn't matter why she had it on her nor what she needed it for... it was rightfully hers to do as she wished with and she protected it. Lets try not to find blame where it isn't. The blame is not hers to share. Lets face it, the robber didn't know if she even HAD any money in there. He certainly hoped so but she might not have. And he would have stolen from her anyway. Particularly because she looked the easy target.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links