West Salem man describes shooting would-be intruder

This is a discussion on West Salem man describes shooting would-be intruder within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Safety has no place in a CCW class I have to disagree - even for folks who may have had safety instruction and, not downplaying ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: West Salem man describes shooting would-be intruder

Assistant Administrator
    Safety has no place in a CCW class
    I have to disagree - even for folks who may have had safety instruction and, not downplaying the law aspect ...... safety is paramount for all at all times.

It may be boring or seem repetitive going over what some see as old stuff but - good safety is IMO a large part of responsible CCW. It could be argued too that good attention to safety could well save someone's legal butt
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

Limerick Time

Two men tried oh so hard to get in
    After liquoring up on some gin.
    One only got shot in the thighs
    and not where he should, 'tween his eyes.
    Yet Yev managed to save his own skin.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    I have to disagree - even for folks who may have had safety instruction and, not downplaying the law aspect ...... safety is paramount for all at all times.

It may be boring or seem repetitive going over what some see as old stuff but - good safety is IMO a large part of responsible CCW. It could be argued too that good attention to safety could well save someone's legal butt
    If you play up the safety aspect, then you will necessarily downplay the law aspect.

There's only 8 hours for instruction in the class. If you spend 4 hours going over basic firearms safety, you've just denied the students 4 hours of instruction in law which they need. Moreover, the State requires 8 hours of instruction about the Law, not about safety, so doing so would be illegal, or at least prevent the students from getting their licenses because the training facility would lose accreditation from the DPS.

Or, you could have them come in for a second day of safety training, but it's a lot simpler to just have them sign up for a safety class if they need it. Plus, if you force it on them, that'll raise your costs, which you'll pass on to the students. The gun store down the street which doesn't do this will then take all your CCW training business. Why would I want to take a 2-day, $200 CCW course at Guns R' Us when I can take a 1-day, $100 CCW course at Gun Emporium instead?

Assistant Administrator
    If you play up the safety aspect, then you will necessarily downplay the law aspect.
    This could apply - agreed - if taken to excess. I think you are taking my thinking too literally whereby I am not suggesting over-loading the safety angle - no, I am more considering let's say a ''safety undercurrent'' - such that various aspects of the law can in some instances relate to safety.

One example - how the law might apply in a defensive situation if an ND injured an innocent.

We are on the same page essentially - I'm not trying to pick a dispute Just that I place such a high emphasis on safety that its introduction as a reminder thru a legal class can still be of benefit IMO.

Safety with firearms is not IMO a ''once learned/done deal'' . it has to be pro-active and dynamic .. never allowed to slide into obscurity, that's all.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

3. I'm on the fence about moving. No one is going to run me off from my home...but I don't rent...so...don't know how I'd react if I lived in an apt.
    The motive behind the attackers was never fully established. Unless this Yev guy can afford an armed guard or can stay at home 24/7, IMO staying there is just too risky.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links