Homeowner aids in arrests of two

This is a discussion on Homeowner aids in arrests of two within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Not picture perfect, but effective. DEATSVILLE -- The homeowner normally wouldn't have been home in the middle of the day. He should have been at ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homeowner aids in arrests of two

Homeowner aids in arrests of two

Not picture perfect, but effective.

DEATSVILLE -- The homeowner normally wouldn't have been home in the middle of the day. He should have been at work. But he came home at 1 p.m. Tuesday to check on a cable repair job.

Lucky for him he did.

When the Deatsville man pulled into his driveway in the Dusty Trail neighborhood, he saw a strange car and noticed the front door was standing open. He suspected something was wrong. And he was right.

Inside, two would-be burglars were ransacking the house.

"He went inside and confronted them," said Capt. Joe Sedinger of the Autauga County Sheriff's Department. "They told him they were looking for somebody who owed them money. He didn't buy it. They ran out, he met them around front and shot the tire out."

The victim, whom Sedinger would not identify, used a 20-gauge shotgun to blast the rear tire of a Kia coupe as the suspects attempted to speed away. His aim was true, and it helped deputies make an arrest.

Sgt. Casey Ott found the suspects a short time later along a secluded dirt road, attempting to change the flat tire.

"One of them looked like he was going to run," Ott said. "I drew down on them and got them on the ground. I called for backup, and help came pretty quick."

Arrested on burglary charges were Gary Arnold Alvies, 22, of 409 Mockingbird St., Prattville, and Aaron Michael Pace, 22, of 208 Deer Trace, Prattville.

They are being held in the Autauga County Metro Jail under no bonds pending a parole revocation hearing, courthouse records show. Both are on parole for theft-related charges, the records showed.

Sheriff Herbie Johnson applauded the quick action of the homeowner.

"A man has the right to protect himself, his family and his property," said Johnson. "I'm so proud of him. I'm thinking about buying him a box of shells so he can keep that shotgun loaded."
    "Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced."

2. Remove Ads

Sheriff Herbie Johnson applauded the quick action of the homeowner.

"A man has the right to protect himself, his family and his property," said Johnson. "I'm so proud of him. I'm thinking about buying him a box of shells so he can keep that shotgun loaded."
    Amen!!!.....
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Assistant Administrator
    Now there's a Sheriff I'd like in my district too
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

That's my kind of Sheriff

Now thats a feel good story,
    and what a Sheriff!

More shells

One heck of a story. Now if the sheriff would go ahead and buy him that box of shells he could shoot out all four tires next time and then they wouldn't have to go looking for the dirtbags.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Nice work...well done...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    like you said, not the most picture perfect course of action, but it worked out for him. glad the guys were caught.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    like you said, not the most picture perfect course of action, but it worked out for him. glad the guys were caught.

I was thinking how would you or I have handled it differently considering that he did not have a CCW on him to start with. Things turned out exceptional but what should he have done differently? Possibly called the police before entering his house? Not entering? Go next door and borrow the neighbor's Glock?

VIP Member
    All's well that ends well huh?

I wonder if he'll have to buy them a new tire?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    I was thinking how would you or I have handled it differently considering that he did not have a CCW on him to start with. Things turned out exceptional but what should he have done differently? Possibly called the police before entering his house? Not entering? Go next door and borrow the neighbor's Glock?
    I've come home to a lone strange vehicle in my driveway before, and it put me on alert. However, because I have roomate's that sometimes have visitors over, and because I didn't see any signs of forced entry, I chose to enter cautiously and see who it was. I was armed, but it turned out to be one of my roomate's friends who had come to visit, and my roomie had gone to get food, leaving him alone in the house. I think he sensed that I was a little uneasy finding him in my house, but a few minutes later, my roomate walked in and introduced us.

My general plan is, if there are obvious signs of forced entry or robbery (door kicked in, trail of my stuff leading out to the car, etc), I'll block their vehicle in with my truck, move behind it while keeping eyes on the door, call 911 and tell them there is a robbery in progress, and wait with hand on holstered gun.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Glad things worked out for the home owner, it's nice to have a suportive sheriff.
    The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding cititzens should also have guns.Otherwise they will win and the decent people will loss.''
    -James Earl Jones.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Now there's a Sheriff I'd like in my district too
    Sheriff Herbie Johnson is kinda of legend in this area.

There's a story of him arresting a group for cock fighting and having them follow him in their own cars back to the county jail. When one of the suspects was asked why he followed the Sheriff to jail he said "That's one man I don't want hunting me down."

Sheriff Johnson will be Sheriff as long as he continues to run.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    There's a story of him arresting a group for cock fighting and having them follow him in their own cars back to the county jail. When one of the suspects was asked why he followed the Sheriff to jail he said "That's one man I don't want hunting me down."
    That's awesome! How do we clone this man?

They are being held in the Autauga County Metro Jail under no bonds pending a parole revocation hearing, courthouse records show. Both are on parole for theft-related charges, the records showed.
    The revolving door just hit 'em in the butt. Glad everyone made it through okay. Now, let's just see how diligently the locks are placed on that ol' revolving door.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links