"This guy just had a quicker draw", aka doesn't pay to beat your g/f

This is a discussion on "This guy just had a quicker draw", aka doesn't pay to beat your g/f within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Good guys; 1 Bad guys; 0 Btw this article says "argument" but the TV spot I saw indicated he was dragging her by her hair ...

Thread: "This guy just had a quicker draw", aka doesn't pay to beat your g/f

Good guys; 1 Bad guys; 0 Btw this article says "argument" but the TV spot I saw indicated he was dragging her by her hair and beating her.

A 22-year-old man who had been arguing with his girlfriend was shot and killed early Saturday after another man overheard the argument and tried to break it up, police said.
    It happened about 2:40 a.m. at an apartment in the 4300 block of South Union Avenue in Tacoma, said police spokesman Mark Fulghum.

Richard Matthews, who recently moved into his girlfriend’s apartment, pulled a gun on the man who tried to intervene, Fulghum said.

But the would-be peacekeeper, identified by police only as an approximately 30-year-old Tacoma man, also was carrying a gun.

He fired “numerous” shots at Matthews before Matthews could get off a shot, Fulghum said.

Matthews was pronounced dead at the scene, Fulghum said.

No other injuries were reported.

Police officers who happened to be nearby heard the gunfire and arrived soon after the shooting, Fulghum said.

The shooter was cooperative with officers, Fulghum said. Detectives interviewed him and let him go. It will be up to prosecutors to decide whether to charge him with a crime.

Based on what police saw, “This guy just had a quicker draw,” Fulghum said. “The prosecutor will make the decision, but it looks like he didn’t have much choice.”
    http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/c...-4534096c.html
    http://www.myspace.com/sgeringer
    SIG SP2009<>XD45 4"<>S&W 638-3<>GLOCK20<>Mossberg Mav88

DC Founder
    Good deal! I hope they don't charge him.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

You mean he didn't run for cover first? What type of reload did he do? What did his after shooting drill look like? Was it a Glock or 1911 he used? Ever think we over think things? :)

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper
    Good deal! I hope they don't charge him.
    Me too, but fortunately that's really very unlikely. For being a blue state famous for pansy unwashed jobless granola munchers, our laws on self-defense and gun carry are top notch. Use of force;

RCW 9A.16.020
    Use of force -- When lawful.
    The use, attempt, or offer to use force upon or toward the person of another is not unlawful in the following cases:

(1) Whenever necessarily used by a public officer in the performance of a legal duty, or a person assisting the officer and acting under the officer's direction;

(2) Whenever necessarily used by a person arresting one who has committed a felony and delivering him or her to a public officer competent to receive him or her into custody;

(3) Whenever used by a party about to be injured, or by another lawfully aiding him or her, in preventing or attempting to prevent an offense against his or her person, or a malicious trespass, or other malicious interference with real or personal property lawfully in his or her possession, in case the force is not more than is necessary;

(4) Whenever reasonably used by a person to detain someone who enters or remains unlawfully in a building or on real property lawfully in the possession of such person, so long as such detention is reasonable in duration and manner to investigate the reason for the detained person's presence on the premises, and so long as the premises in question did not reasonably appear to be intended to be open to members of the public;

(5) Whenever used by a carrier of passengers or the carrier's authorized agent or servant, or other person assisting them at their request in expelling from a carriage, railway car, vessel, or other vehicle, a passenger who refuses to obey a lawful and reasonable regulation prescribed for the conduct of passengers, if such vehicle has first been stopped and the force used is not more than is necessary to expel the offender with reasonable regard to the offender's personal safety;

(6) Whenever used by any person to prevent a mentally ill, mentally incompetent, or mentally disabled person from committing an act dangerous to any person, or in enforcing necessary restraint for the protection or restoration to health of the person, during such period only as is necessary to obtain legal authority for the restraint or custody of the person.
    Admittedly we have very basic info, but if the police spokesman is going to bat for him, it's pretty open and shut. We can assume from the "quick draw" comment that intervention at first was made without the weapon displayed, and the bad guy's display of his own weapon made for a clear and compelling case of self-defense, satisfying "not more then necessary" force requirement. He's good to go, and the girlfriend has a new lease on life.

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    Outstanding!!
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Assistant Administrator
    Seems like an ''I had to'' shoot - hope the guy gets no hassles.

Betcha he was an IDPA shooter!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Hope that guy does not live around here....my wife and I do argue at times!!!!!!!!
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

VIP Member
    If you don't drag her by the hair and beat up on her, I assume you have nothing to worry about.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Administrator

Ditto: Betty & I'm Sure

that he'll not be charged.
    Seems absolutely justified to me.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

DANG! YOU beat me to the draw! I was just going to post this. The lesson is obvious, if you're going to carry a concealed firearm, you'd better be competent. This year I stressed this to my kids who were wannabe thugs in my inner city high school. I say "wannabe" because all the real thugs are NOT in school, they're out in the street running with gangs and committing crimes. But my kids had a semblance of brains and sense and some strong parents! That's the key, of course.

Anyway I told them all semester (I came into the school as a special recruit in the middle of the year) and right off, I told them that I was like no other teacher they'd ever had in their lives or ever would have in the future. I explained to them that I was about issues and AGENDAS. They all wanted an example of each, so I told them in our class we would be discussing all sides of all topics thus creating an ISSUE.

Then I asked the class: "Has ANYBODY in all your 12 years in the public schools EVER told you anything GOOD about GUNS?" Not one hand went up. I told them: "THAT'S AN AGENDA." Then I said: "Okay, has anybody in all your 12 years in the public schools EVER told you anything BAD about the UNITED NATIONS?"

Again, not a single hand and suddenly a LOT of understanding expressions.

I continued: "THAT is an AGENDA. It means that somebody somewhere didn't give you BOTH or ALL sides of the story. Maybe out of love and the best of intentions and maybe not. But it removed your free will to DECIDE on your own about the things that affect your life. And it's okay even if you agree with the AGENDA as long as you arrive at that conclusion after seeing all sides and bouncing that off your values and beliefs."

That put us on the topic of firearms. I showed them a video of my gun club in an IDPA match. Now you've just GOTTA know that I am in NO WAY the "top gun" in my club! I rank near the bottom of the middle of the pack.

Nonetheless, when they saw ME come up to the line to "LOAD & MAKE READY" they went berserk, screaming and clapping. I went thru that string with some competence no procedurals or safety violations (as usual) and those kids started thinking about seeing me draw smoothly and fairly quick (not the fastest as I've said) but my accuracy is pretty good....and they saw shooting on the move and the tactical reloads....and I saw those little cogs "a-turning" in those minds.

I reminded them that just because a punk has a gun, it doesn't make him God. There are always folks out there better trained, more experienced and far deadlier. In fact, street punks are at the bottom of the food chain when it comes to carnivores.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Assistant Administrator
    Ex - ''Issues'' and ''Agendas'' - I like that a lot. Great approach.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Ex - ''Issues'' and ''Agendas'' - I like that a lot. Great approach.
    My sentiments exactly! Great job! *applauds*

Thumbs up

Ex- Another excelent post that I almost passed up. Logical thinking at its best, thank you for sharing it.
    Seek safety at the heart of danger.

Live Easy, Die Hard

Links