Neighbor shoots burglar

Neighbor shoots burglar

This is a discussion on Neighbor shoots burglar within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://wilsoncountynews.com/default....tynews&he=.com Gutsy-old man goes to neighbors house and finds burglars. One of them tries to run him down w/a car and his shotgun finished the ...

Thread: Neighbor shoots burglar

Neighbor shoots burglar

http://wilsoncountynews.com/default....tynews&he=.com

Gutsy-old man goes to neighbors house and finds burglars. One of them tries to run him down w/a car and his shotgun finished the BG off..
    Found the story on WND..
    Last edited by P95Carry; October 5th, 2007 at 02:16 PM. Reason: edited tags to pars the url - also corrected it

Thats the Texas Good Neighbor Policy

Holy Cow... Now there's a tough old codger that I wouldn't want to mess with!

I wonder if they'll let the partner out of jail to attend his buddy's funeral?

Hell they ought to make him dig the guys grave by hand then charge him with his buddy's felony murder!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I like that neighborhood watch program...very effective.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    Thats the Texas Good Neighbor Policy
    Amen!!
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Am not applauding the death, but attempted murder against you is one of those things that should be stopped no matter the cost. I'm sure the criminal knew that. Now, he's on his knees havin' to explain his bad deeds to the man upstairs.

There's something worth admiring in the simple, straighforward justice practiced in Texas. Other places, Temples Of The Revolving Door, could learn a thing or three.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Well, I'll go ahead and applaud the death. I probably have a reputation for that by now anyway.

When a person is of the mindset that he is willing to criminally try to kill you, there is nothing better that can be hoped for than for his miserable, pernicious life to be ended so that he is no longer a threat we need to worry about.

At the risk of playing devil's advocate...I am just a little curious why the old man didnt call for the police before investigating the loud noise.

It also seems to me that the old man blocking the get-away vehicle might be construed as provactive...

note: I am not contending the right of the old man to defend his life in my questioning his actions!

Quote Originally Posted by Sigsauer View Post
    At the risk of playing devil's advocate...I am just a little curious why the old man didnt call for the police before investigating the loud noise.

It also seems to me that the old man blocking the get-away vehicle might be construed as provactive...

note: I am not contending the right of the old man to defend his life in my questioning his actions!
    Surely, insuating one's self into a situation, closing off avenues of escape and standing one's ground results in a "cornered cat." Folks cornered like this (the criminals) will do what they need to do to escape, generally. Doesn't mean it's wrong to stand up to what essentially are bullies. Quite the contrary. But, it does force a quick conclusion to the situation. Some may suggest it provokes an escalation to a lethal force response by the criminal. So long as the intent of the person is to STOP the crime from occurring, and so long as any lethal force is to specifically defend against a LETHAL THREAT made against a person (ie, the attempt to mow down the man via the car), then it sounds completely justifiable to me to do whatever is necessary to stop it cold, cold though it may seem.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Well done, saved the taxpayers the cost of a trial and housing for a criminal.

VIP Member
    It just goes to show that there is NO mandantory retirement age for "pool cleaners"!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I think I would have taken my phone as well as my shotgun and would have called 911 as soon as I recognized a burglary was in progress instead of confronting the BG's. Calling them out forces a confrontation with possibly armed BG's. In his defense, and considering his age, it is likely that he doesn't even own a cell phone so he used the tools he had to end the threat to his neighbor's property.

Agreed Jofdro and I'd bet he has a land line.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

We are talking about a country road in Texas. You guys have any idea how far that can be from any type of law enforcement? Needed three agancies to assist in searching the area for the other bad guy!

Did he do everything right, probably not. But, out in the country folks know their neighbors and they help one another. Heard and saw something strange, went to investigate, parked his truck at the gate (only way in or out) and confronted the bad guys. One ran and the other tried to commit another felony. Man responded to attempt on his life, as he is under no responsibility to "give ground."

Probably, the other thief will be charged with burglary and homicide (death while committing another crime).

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Hell they ought to make him dig the guys grave by hand then charge him with his buddy's felony murder!
    In Washington state it is a capitol crime if anyone is killed in the commisssion of a felony. If I am correct there are a few on the row because their crime partner was killed. I know there are many doing life without because their crime partner was killed in the commission of a felony. I met one he had half his brain blown off by a point blank .357 round the same day. He is doing life and a day.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Sponsored Links