CHL holder shoots idiot who tried to rob him with a non-functional gun.

This is a discussion on CHL holder shoots idiot who tried to rob him with a non-functional gun. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.timesdispatch.com/servle...d=1031783428357 "Teen carried an unloaded rifle A man in a car shot and killed 14-year-old after he approached BY JIM NOLAN TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER Jun ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CHL holder shoots idiot who tried to rob him with a non-functional gun.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servle...d=1031783428357

"Teen carried an unloaded rifle
    A man in a car shot and killed 14-year-old after he approached

BY JIM NOLAN
    TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER

Jun 22, 2005

RELATED: Police Beat

The teenage boy fatally shot June 12 in Richmond's East End apparently was not as dangerous as he looked to the man who killed him.

Law enforcement sources involved in the case said Rodvon Daymetric Brown, 14, was carrying an unloaded, .22-caliber rifle when he got off his bicycle and approached a 47-year-old man sitting in his car at 24th Street and Fairmount Avenue around 11:40 p.m.

An ammunition magazine from an AK-47, also unloaded, had been duct-taped to the barrel of the rifle, giving it more of an appearance as a deadly assault weapon, the sources said.

The man inside the car, however, had a loaded, 40 mm semiautomatic handgun. He told police that after dropping off a woman at her home, he saw Brown and another boy circling his car on their bicycles. Police said the man told them Brown got off his bicycle and began walking toward the driver's side of his car carrying his weapon.

The man said Brown "threatened him with a gun and attempted to rob him," according to a statement released by police.

Law enforcement sources said the man in the car fired three times, shattering two windows in his vehicle. One of the shots struck Brown in the side of the head, causing him to fall face-first on his gun. He died just over an hour later at VCU Medical Center.

Richmond are consulting with prosecutors on whether to charge the man in connection with the shooting, which is still under investigation.

Police said the man who fired the fatal shots did not flee the scene, but called 911 and waited for police and medical attention to arrive.

Brown was a seventh-grader at Chandler Middle School who lived with his aunt and siblings in the 1400 block of North 23rd Street, just around the corner from where he was fatally wounded.

Family members had said the boy left the house that night to ride his bike because it had been so hot inside. A family spokeswoman had said Brown had never been arrested and was not known by his aunt to carry a weapon.

But last night, a law enforcement source said Brown did, in fact, have a record of arrests as a juvenile. The source did not provide details on the record.

Contact Jim Nolan at (804) 649-6061 or jnolan@timesdispatch.com"

Anyone else catch all of the anti-gun BS and trying to make the robber sound harmless? "He wasn't as dangerous as he appeared". Too bad, he's just as dead. "Making it look like a 'deadly assault weapon' ". Yah, because a .22 couldn't possibly kill anyone.(sarcasm)

And I want a 40MM handgun.
    Rest In Peace Dad! I love you!!!

Administrator

Just My Opinion

If young kids want to try to rob people at "gun point" like "Grown Up Thugs" then they might just get shot. That's the reality of the situation.

"Hey Momma...LOOK! ~ I found a gold chain and a diamond wedding ring & this whole big pile of money...on the sidewalk when I was out riding my bike!"

Where can i get a 40mm handgun ?

And sure im just gonna go out ride my bike at 11pm becuse its hot out ..

Administrator
    Well, Bud these kids are like chameleons.
    They have two different faces...one innocent one that they show to Momma & the "other one" that they show to the rest of the world.

I need to print this out actually. I tell my students all the time to think about the consequences of their actions. It doesn't matter how old you are, when you do something wrong, you're taking your life into your own hands.

This is very sad, but what was the man to do? He was left with no choice and I'm sure he feels awful; he's probably so sick to his stomach he won't be able to eat for a month. Notice that's not in the article though.

'40 mm handgun?' Yeah sign me up for that too...

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by S.O. Interceptor
    http://www.timesdispatch.com/servle...d=1031783428357

"Teen carried an unloaded rifle
    A man in a car shot and killed 14-year-old after he approached

<SNIP>

Law enforcement sources involved in the case said Rodvon Daymetric Brown, 14, was carrying an unloaded, .22-caliber rifle when he got off his bicycle and approached a 47-year-old man sitting in his car at 24th Street and Fairmount Avenue around 11:40 p.m.

An ammunition magazine from an AK-47, also unloaded, had been duct-taped to the barrel of the rifle, giving it more of an appearance as a deadly assault weapon, the sources said.

<SNIP>

Richmond are consulting with prosecutors on whether to charge the man in connection with the shooting, which is still under investigation.
    Charges? You've GOT to be kidding!!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

If things were as presented, I can't say its "sad". As a friend over in the first Desert Conflict said, "Don't matter if its 14, or 40. If it points a gun at me, its dead." Stupid Tax can get pretty high..........

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle
    Charges? You've GOT to be kidding!!
    A few years ago when something called "common sense" was still present in our justice system, I would've said "yah, they're kidding". But not anymore. The evil man ended the life of an innocent little angel in order to save his own, so he may have to be punished.(extreme sarcasm)
    Rest In Peace Dad! I love you!!!

Assistant Administrator
    Not so much sad as tragic - because a young punk got it into his stoopid head that it might be ''fun'' to do a pretend hold-up.

''Ding, ding'' - problem was he did not think about his prospective ''victim'' being armed.! And of course yeah, as ever - this ''darling boy'' was just so innocent.

IIRC in another write-up on the event, there was something about him having had ''problems'' etc and even been snagged on juvenile petty crime stuff - certainly not the ''model'' young teen. This has probably terminated a future carrer criminal.

As for the guy facing charges - well - indeed common sense has it seems become a very scarce commodity. From facts presented there should not even be any question of charges.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Richmond is an anti-gun city in a pro-gun state. Of course, that figures, since almost every year a member of the City Council or senior administration gets locked up on felony charges. When this happened, last week, the only quotes getting any press were the ones from the kid's family about what a perfect angel he was. I figured, then, that the shooter was screwed. I hope he's got a good lawyer. Sometimes I hate this city.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

We actually discussed this today in a room full of 14 year olds. It came up while we were supposed to be doing something else of course.

Jana: "Did you hear about that kid in Virginia who got shot?"

Kareem: "Man who'd shoot a fourteen year old kid?"

Myself: "Kareem you don't know the circumstances. Since you aren't paying any attention to the example we're doing right now anyway, can any of you tell me what a consequence is?"

Oscar: "Is that like when you do something and something bad happens?"

Myself: "Sometimes. Consequences can be good or bad. A consequence is something that happens as a direct result of an action. It just so happens I read about this on the internet this morning. This young man thought it would be a good idea to take a .22 caliber rifle he probably shouldn't have had to a place he wasn't supposed to be with it and he stuck it in the face of some guy sitting in his car and tried to rob him."

Kareem "Man that is messed up."

Jana "But how did he die?"

Myself "If someone pointed a gun in your face, what would your reaction be?"

Alicia "I'd shoot them! You've got to defend yourself."

Rocky "But what if all they want is your money?"

Alicia "You don't know that. The only reason somebody'd point a gun at you like that is because they want to kill you."

Christy "Well the guy just could have looked and seen it wasn't loaded. Yeah the kid was being stupid but it's the other guy's fault for not checking."

Myself "Christy unless the action just happened to be open there's no way he would have been able to know it wasn't loaded."

TJ "Yeah it's like my hunting rifle. You have to open the bolt to make sure it's not loaded every time."

Myself "So did this young man make a good decision?"

Various "No."

Myself "What should he have done."

Jana "He should have thought about it before he did that. Just because he's same age as us doesn't mean he gets to be stupid. It's his own fault."

Alicia "Yeah that's sad but it didn't have to happen. It's not the guy's fault for shooting him."

And to think some people weep for the future...

I'm transferring my posts from 'other forum' to this one. Its all in all about three posts total. Looking foreward to your reviews:
    When is WHAT going to be enough?

Robbing and hurting people and getting away with it because one is 14? A 14yr old with a gun can kill as fast as a 35 yr old career thug.
    Cant imagine why someone shot this poor child? What, did our carrying citizen plant a 'throw down gun' on junior? Doubtful.
    I'm in full support of getting all the facts as they come out, but from what I'm gathering so far, our citizen simply threw 1 cup of chlorine into the shallow end of the gene pool.

What are all the grief couselors gonna tell Junior's classmates IF it is found that he was committing a violent crime? I would like to see them explain that if you perpetrate violence on folks, one of them is likely to shoot you. And there is very little to be sad about IF this 14 yr old was a violent kid. He was likely to become a more violent adult.

Hey, folks, I hope no one got the idea that just whacking 14yr olds was all that great an idea by my response to the initial post. The loss of a young life is always tragic. But what is more tragic is a cititzen, BY THE ACCOUNT GIVEN SO FAR, that met all the criteria for a lawful self defense is painted as a child killer by certain elements of his society. The citizen is going to need counseling, I'm certain. He will also likley incur a lawyer's fee. And yes, possibly the loss of a lot of material wealth due to a civil suit. And the state likley wont pay a red cent.
    Also, for those who feel that by giving up your wallet to an armed thug may get you out alive-DO IT!!! I am a firm believer in do what it takes to stay alive. However, if our citizen in this story shot a thug who was assaulting him with a firearm, then the citizen can probably show that any prudent person was in fear of their life, or great bodily harm. Something about this particular robbery and robber may have made the citizen feel as though he might not make it home tonight otherwise. I think most folks here would rather give up just a wallet and watch rather than endure what this fella is going to go through. But if it comes down to facing that or death, well, the robber picked the outcome, not me.
    As to the 'take the gun away from the kid' camp. Cool!! I admire your training and capabilities. That to me has always been a judgement call. If he's close enough, if he presents the pistol in a manner that allows me access, if I have only ONE assailant.....you get the idea. One thing we havent heard about yet is if the boy shot was the only robber. Things may change.
    Shooting anyone must suck. The people I know that have done it say it does, and I'll take thier word for it. Nothing cool or glamorous about it. But it was all they could do at the time. Shooting what turns out to be a 14 yr old probably sucks even more. But, I doubt any Serviceman who's ever put down a child running towards a transport with a sachel charge has ever faced charges. WAR, you say? Its ok because its war. Guess what, WE are in a war. A war on crime. A war on our right to live without fear. We are not 'enlisted' men (leo's). We are drafted, its just that we are drafted by the ENEMY at the moment they threaten our lives. The enemy can take the form of any age, color, sex, religion, etc. But the enemy is still the enemy. And in some cases, can only be dealt with by application of small arms fire.

Dan

Assistant Administrator
    Euc - I give thanks that you were there and able, thru some very simple but astute questions - to gain the logical answers that seemed forthcoming. All is maybe not lost!

Dan - can't take much issue with what you said at all - makes total sense, and should to anyone, not just us.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    it sucks the kid got a gun, but ultimately it was his own choice to do so. Seems , the teen should have known right from wrong by 14.

The prosecutors will shriek, "But he shot a CHILD!" They'll trot out the kid's mother and any siblings, who'll sit on the stand sobbing about how the poor dead boy won't be able to go to baseball games anymore. His history as a piece of **** with a criminal record will be swept under the rug. Only a good lawyer will save the shooter now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links