Washington state rest area self defense - Page 2

Washington state rest area self defense

This is a discussion on Washington state rest area self defense within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Sig 210 "One other thing. I'm sick of people who shoot and then say they feel "remorseful." I can only hope that ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Washington state rest area self defense

Regret = Guilt

Quote Originally Posted by Sig 210 View Post
    "One other thing. I'm sick of people who shoot and then say they feel "remorseful." I can only hope that that's just what they say."

Good post.

+1
    Both remorse and regret are buzzwords for guilt. But you don't want to come off as a vigiliante either. The perfect compromise, according to Mas Ayoob is this: "I grieve for that young man. I grieve for his parents and I grieve for what HIS ACTIONS FORCED ME TO DO. But I'd still take the exact same action in the same circumstances if I was faced with it again."
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

give no warning shots, as a rule, and when you shoot shoot to kill
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    Both remorse and regret are buzzwords for guilt. But you don't want to come off as a vigiliante either. The perfect compromise, according to Mas Ayoob is this: "I grieve for that young man. I grieve for his parents and I grieve for what HIS ACTIONS FORCED ME TO DO. But I'd still take the exact same action in the same circumstances if I was faced with it again."
    nicely put, You can be glad that your alive and not dead byt he perps actions. Taking some else life even a pos like the bg is not done lightly and even if it a justified shoot it is human nature to feel bad. I would wonder about some one who has to shoot someone else in self defense and did not grieve somewhat for being in those circumstances. I think that reading about it and having to watch some one die by your own hand even if justified are two different things. I would worry about someone who does not blink when they have to kill someone else there is a name for those people they are called sociopaths.

I agree with Janq and others; the shooter should not have admitted to a warning shot or "just trying to scare him." Mas Ayoob writes of a motorist who was harassed by a road rager with a baseball bat. The rager came at him with the bat and was shot. The shooter told police that he had cocked the hammer of his revolver, then it went off accidentally (in single action mode). He was charged with murder and lost his pharmacy and livelyhood as a result of the high legal expenses in defending himself in court. He had a justified reason to shoot, and should have just stuck to the claim of self defense. The shooter in this post is on very shaky legal grounds in any upcoming civil case.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Rest stops are dirt ball magnets. I'd have to be pretty desperate to stop at one.
    aren't rest stops usually away from everything out on highways? where do these creeps come from sixto?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
    ― Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by stormbringerr View Post
    aren't rest stops usually away from everything out on highways? where do these creeps come from sixto?
    I have a feeling that he was hitch hiking. That is why I will never pick up any one.
    To close for missiles, switching to guns.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by turbo93 View Post
    nicely put, You can be glad that your alive and not dead byt he perps actions. Taking some else life even a pos like the bg is not done lightly and even if it a justified shoot it is human nature to feel bad. I would wonder about some one who has to shoot someone else in self defense and did not grieve somewhat for being in those circumstances. I think that reading about it and having to watch some one die by your own hand even if justified are two different things. I would worry about someone who does not blink when they have to kill someone else there is a name for those people they are called sociopaths.
    What about the notion that some human lives just, for whatever reason, are malformed -- that they developed to be malevolent and are best terminated, for the good of everyone and everything around them, because all they will ever be is malevolent?

I haven't been in that situation yet. But the more evil the person I might kill (based on his actions against me as well as his criminal history), the less likely I would be to feel bad about having had to kill him. If the BG was bad and evil enough, I could see a person feeling no worse about ridding humanity of this malformed creature than, for example, a manufacturer scrapping a Frisbee that came out of the mold wrong and was never going to be of any use to anyone.

I agree that a little "culling" of the human race seems, from time to time, to be the thing to do but keep in mind that Hitler, Stalin, and Mao Tzedong followed that program and we all know there it lead to.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    NEVER fire a "warning shot!" If I'm in imminent danger of death or great bodily harm or I feela member of my family is in that situation I draw, order the guy to put it down and wait a half second for compliance and THEN I put two right into the cranial vault. That close, I couldn't miss.
    +1! Exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by Duisburg View Post
    give no warning shots, as a rule, and when you shoot shoot to kill
    No sir! I understand what you're saying but... you NEVER shoot to kill! You shoot to STOP! You should erase the phrase "shoot to kill" from your vocabulary entirely!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

+1 Thumper
    "Shoot to Stop" Everyone remember that!!
    I wear a seatbelt, but I hope to never need it, I use smoke detectors in my house, but I hope to never need them, I carry life insurance, but I hope to never need it, I carry a weapon, but I hope to never need it.

Man dies two weeks after being shot at rest stop

Posted October 23, 2007

SEATTLE — A 45-year-old man shot in the right temple earlier this month at a rest area along Highway 2 died Saturday night, an official with the Chelan County Sheriff’s Office said Monday.

STORY TOOLS

Authorities found Jay Kneer unconscious Oct. 11 at a rest area about 14 miles northwest of Leavenworth when they were called to the scene by the man who shot Kneer.

The sheriff’s office declined to pursue criminal charges after interviewing the shooter, 66-year-old Dennis Shaw of Lynnwood, who told police Kneer had acted aggressively toward him.

Shaw told police he and his wife had stopped to use the restrooms and Kneer asked him for a ride. Shaw said Kneer grew angry when he refused. Shaw told police Kneer followed him back to his vehicle while yelling and making threatening gestures.

Shaw told police he retrieved a handgun from his vehicle, and then Kneer began swinging a large whiskey bottle at him. Shaw said he fired the gun only in an attempt to scare Kneer.

Sheriff’s office investigators said they did not find any witnesses to the shooting except for Shaw’s wife.

The sheriff’s office has requested an autopsy, said Lt. Kent Sisson.

— Jaime Adame, World staff

COMMENTS
    To close for missiles, switching to guns.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    I really wish Shaw had not said that he fired "to scare" Kneer. I worry that this statement may come back to haunt him.

Moreover, I worry that Shaw was not fully committed to actually defending himself with lethal force, and just kinda got lucky.

But hey, I'm ecstatic that this career criminal psycho is dead of a headwound! Hopefully he spent his last couple of weeks in pain.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Rest stops are dirt ball magnets. I'd have to be pretty desperate to stop at one.
    I stop at them all the time all over the country. I have even slept on my motorcycle on occasion at rest stops. Never a problem, but than after a week or so on the open riding my bike I look and smell like one of those dirt balls especially since I don't have yuppie leathers and gear. Mine are about twenty years old and have been sliding down the road once or twice. Of course I am not in condition white at rest stops either even when I am sleeping.

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    One other thing. I'm sick of people who shoot and then say they feel "remorseful." I can only hope that that's just what they.
    I don't think that is at all that abnormal or two faced Taking a life is never a good thing even when it is necessary. I regret having to kill a rattler. I feel bad for the game I hunt. I say a prayer and offer tobacco and thank them for giving their life so I can live. I am happy that I got that big buck but there is some sadness too. They are beautiful magnificent animals. Necessary yes, even a good thing that needed doing but that does not mean it is not regrettable.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

I NEVER use rest stops anymore. They are criminal magnets. I find it just as convenient to stop at a busy exit where there are decent restaurants and lots of people. In this case, the shoot was justified, but wouldn't it have been easier to avoid it in the first place? I don't really want to ever go through the BS involved in dealing with even a good shooting.

I drive a full size panel van, and if I need to get my head down for awhile, I pick out the best motel I can find, park, and snooze in the back. Nobody can see in, and it's quieter than any other place.
    NRA Benefactor member
    Michigan Antique Arms Collectors life member
    Ohio Gun Collectors member

Opinions expressed here are based upon Michigan state law ONLY. Other state laws may differ. Know and observe your local laws.

Perhaps they should change it from "Rest" Stop to "Back" Stop or perhaps "RIP" Stop. Agreed on the crap-magnet though. Rest stops always seem to draw the bottom of the barrel in just about every state. I guess the free/easy access to the bathroom/washrooms, vending machines, and sheeple it makes it an easy/welcoming target for the ill-mannered populace.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links