Washington state rest area self defense

This is a discussion on Washington state rest area self defense within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; By Associated Press WENATCHEE, Wash. (AP) - The Chelan County sheriff's office says a man seeking a ride was critically wounded while harassing a driver ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Washington state rest area self defense

Exclamation Washington state rest area self defense

By Associated Press

WENATCHEE, Wash. (AP) - The Chelan County sheriff's office says a man seeking a ride was critically wounded while harassing a driver who stopped at a Highway 2 rest area.

The sheriff's office says 45-year-old Jay Kneer of Renton was taken to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle Wednesday night with a head wound.

Investigators say 66-year-old Dennis Shaw of Lynnwood and his wife had stopped at the Nason Creek rest area 14 miles west of Leavenworth where Kneer asked him for a ride.

When Shaw refused, Kneer became angry, followed Shaw to his car and struck his vehicle window with a glass bottle.

Shaw told investigators the attack continued when he pointed a handgun at Kneer. Shaw says he fired in an attempt to scare Kneer and hit him in the head.

The Shaws were not injured.
    To close for missiles, switching to guns.

2. Remove Ads

Police say rest stop shooting justified
    Lynnwood man fired at hitchhiker in self-defense

By HECTOR CASTRO
    P-I REPORTER

A motorist who shot and wounded a belligerent hitchhiker Wednesday at a highway rest area acted in self-defense, police say.

The shooting happened just before 7:30 p.m. at the Nason Creek rest area on U.S. Route 2 near Lake Wenatchee and just west of Leavenworth.

The man who was shot, Jay Anthony Kneer, 45, was taken to Harborview Medical Center, where he was in the intensive care unit in serious condition Thursday. He is listed as a Renton resident, but Chelan County Sheriff Michael Harum said Kneer spent much of his time in Eastern Washington.

Kneer has a criminal record going back 20 years, with more than 50 arrests in that time and multiple convictions for theft, trespassing, drug violations and robbery in King, Snohomish and Chelan counties.

He was released last month from the Chelan County Regional Justice Center, where he had been since his arrest in January on suspicion of second-degree robbery.

He was well-known to Chelan County deputies, Harum said, and was typically combative with them. He said that when deputies had to handle a call involving Kneer, "you made sure you had a second person there."

Before the shooting, Kneer had been hanging around the rest area. Harum said volunteers who handed out coffee and cookies to passing motorists told deputies that Kneer had been harassing them.

The volunteers left at about 7 p.m., shortly before the shooting, so Kneer was the only person around when Dennis Shaw, 66, of Lynnwood, and his wife pulled into the rest area.

In the restroom, Kneer asked Shaw for a ride, but Shaw refused. Kneer followed him, yelling at him and demanding a ride, police said.

Kneer's demeanor and aggression began to scare the motorist, Harum said, adding that Kneer had a reputation for aggression and, at 6-foot-2, could be intimidating.

Once he was back at his pickup truck, Shaw retrieved a 9 mm handgun.

This only made Kneer angrier, Harum said, and he pulled out a quart-size bottle of whisky and swung it, missing Shaw, who was able to duck behind his truck's door.

Shaw told deputies he pointed the gun at Kneer and fired when Kneer did not back off, telling them he meant it as a warning shot. But the shot struck Kneer in the head.

Harum said it appeared to be a clear case of self-defense and he does not expect the motorist to be charged with any crime.

"He was pretty upset, and from what the deputies tell me, remorseful," Harum said. "It's pretty sad."
    P-I reporter Hector Castro can be reached at 206-448-8334 or hectorcastro@seattlepi.com.

What is real scary, I have been to this rest stop many times. It is a lonely place.
    To close for missiles, switching to guns.

Never pick up hitchhikers, even if they are good people down on their luck. Desperate people do silly things.

My friend gave this dude a ride into seattle, and the guy tried stealing his cellphone. What a nice way to repay someone's kindness.

VIP Member
    Reading between the lines. I'm thinking that the police are saying "good riddance" to Kneer. He sure fits the definition of a career criminal and troublemaker, and it caught up with him.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

That was some warning shot. He warned the guy when he drew the weapon. That was a remove the threat shot all the way.
    CCWINNC

HK P2000 .40SW
    Para Ord Tac 4 .45acp
    XD 9 Service
    XD 9 SC
    Taurus 651 .357 mag

Administrator
    Rest stops are dirt ball magnets. I'd have to be pretty desperate to stop at one.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Yeah thanks for the second posting Phoneguy, after reading the first post I felt there was a whole lot more to the story than you first post indicated.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Agreed Sixto...I avoid them if at all possible.

As well I would never tell the cops that I shot a "warning shot".
    Warning shots are not legal nor defensible in court.
    You pull the trigger and then you are responsible for that action which is (or should be defensive only for imminent fear of ones life or being gravely injured).
    In this case the equation for as much was perfect, 'J.A.M.', and Shaw was justified in his ultimate action/reaction. Just don't call it a warning shot and open a legal and civil liability door for trouble.
    For that matter don't say jack to the cops or media at all, but that's beyond the point.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

It's good that it appears that things are going well (as well as can be expected) for Shaw, but you can see how one little comment -- the warning shot statement could have really be used against him.

Perhaps he meant it as a warning shot, or perhaps he thought it would sound better if he said that. Maybe he doesn't really know.

But IMO people in a rage are scary (not to mention a large, young guy) and I think you should be afraid for your life. It would be pretty sad if this read that an elderly man and his wife were found beaten to death in a rest stop.

-john

I'd say it was a " NICE SHOT " !! and certainly justified. Kneer is lucky to be alive and probably has learned nothing from this experience, other than perhaps to be more aggressive in his attacks in the future. May the next shot catch him right between the eyes.

NEVER fire a "warning shot!" If I'm in imminent danger of death or great bodily harm or I feela member of my family is in that situation I draw, order the guy to put it down and wait a half second for compliance and THEN I put two right into the cranial vault. That close, I couldn't miss.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Drawing the gun and pointing IS the warning shot. BG keeps up the attack, you better pull the trigger, and don't try to miss.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phoneguy View Post
    Shaw told investigators the attack continued when he pointed a handgun at Kneer. Shaw says he fired in an attempt to scare Kneer and hit him in the head.
    Oh, great. The defender opens his mouth and issues a statement when he should shut the up, and what does he say? That he "meant to scare him"!

Way to admit that you didn't actually feel the need to use deadly force.

I sure hope this guy manages to somehow not get indicted or sued, after making a statement like that.

One other thing. I'm sick of people who shoot and then say they feel "remorseful." I can only hope that that's just what they say. (Get me?) Because if the shooter knows even half of what this story tells us about the background of Kneer, he should be not only glad to have escaped uninjured and, well, undead, he should be happy he was able to remove such a cancer from society's midst (even if not permanently).

After reading what this guy was about, I find myself hoping fervently that he dies of his injuries.

"One other thing. I'm sick of people who shoot and then say they feel "remorseful." I can only hope that that's just what they say."

Good post.

+1

Glad one more dirtbag is DEAD...

The only comment the LEO's should have heard was..."I feared for my life, and I shot to stop the thread...I'll give you more detail when my lawyer is present!"
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links