Lightning Strikes Twice in 3 Weeks for Dallas Shopkeeper :MERGED

This is a discussion on Lightning Strikes Twice in 3 Weeks for Dallas Shopkeeper :MERGED within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...r.2dd8d7c.html West Dallas business owner kills 2 suspected burglars in 3 weeks 09:32 PM CDT on Sunday, October 14, 2007 By MARISSA ALANIS / The ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lightning Strikes Twice in 3 Weeks for Dallas Shopkeeper :MERGED

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Lightning Strikes Twice in 3 Weeks for Dallas Shopkeeper :MERGED

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...r.2dd8d7c.html

West Dallas business owner kills 2 suspected burglars in 3 weeks

09:32 PM CDT on Sunday, October 14, 2007

By MARISSA ALANIS / The Dallas Morning News
    malanis@dallasnews.com

A Ledbetter-area business owner fatally shot a suspected burglar Sunday morning the second time in three weeks that he killed an intruder, Dallas police said.

James Walton, owner of Able Walton Machine & Welding in the 2000 block of Chalk Hill Road in West Dallas, was alerted to the intruder when his motion sensor system activated about 9 a.m. Sunday, police said.

Mr. Walton, who also lives at his business, went downstairs with a shotgun and fired at a man who had broken in. The intruder was later identified by police as Jimmy Gannon of Ferris.

Police said Mr. Walton also noticed another man outside Sunday. Mr. Walton shot and wounded that man. He escaped, but a witness eventually led police to him. The man, whom police did not immediately identify, was questioned by officers Sunday afternoon.

Mr. Gannon, 37, was taken to Methodist Dallas Medical Center, where he died.

Police said Mr. Walton is allowed to protect his property. No charges were filed against him Sunday, though the case will be referred to a grand jury, police said.

"He's got a right to defend his property. What gives a stranger the right to go in and vandalize or burglarize his business?" said Dallas police Sgt. Gene Reyes. "He's within every legal right to do this."

Mr. Walton could not be reached for comment Sunday.

Dallas police Sgt. Andrew Harvey said he doesn't believe anything was stolen from Mr. Walton's business on Sunday.

On Sept. 22, Mr. Walton shot and killed a man he saw climbing through a pried-open window of his business, police said. The intruder was later identified as Raul Laureles. That incident also was referred to a grand jury.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

A sure sign for crooks to leave that business alone and go to one that has no firearms allowed signs on it.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Aint no season on varmits!

wow, i guess if I were that shopkeeper I'd buy ammo in bulk...
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

They should post it on the front page of the paper. Should make anyone else trying to break into his shop seriously think twice.
    CCWINNC

HK P2000 .40SW
    Para Ord Tac 4 .45acp
    XD 9 Service
    XD 9 SC
    Taurus 651 .357 mag

I guess maybe someone didn't hear about what happenned to the first guy!
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

I always wondered how police would react to your situation if you ending up getting attacked by and killing two seperate robbers within weeks. With Dallas police, apparently they're fairly supportive.

I think if I was this shopowner, i'd be looking at some better security. Two robbery attempts in that short of time likely means his place appears to be an easy target.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowAngel View Post
    I think if I was this shopowner, i'd be looking at some better security. Two robbery attempts in that short of time likely means his place appears to be an easy target.
    Why should he...he seems to be the best security going.

I'd worry a bit though about wounding the guy outside his property.

Rick

"I'd worry a bit though about wounding the guy outside his property." The article never stated "outside his property" just "outside."

The guy could have been inside a fence but outside the shop.

The scrap value of brass, copper and aluminum are sky high. This is why the idiots keep breaking into businesses like welding, machine and fabrication shops.

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    Why should he...he seems to be the best security going.

I'd worry a bit though about wounding the guy outside his property.

Rick
    Yeah, that's all good and well when he's home, armed, and aware. What happens when a robber finally gets a shot in first, or catches him offguard? It would be safer to make the building a less inviting target than it would to just hope you're ready and waiting with a shotty everytime someone tries to break in.

Being a THUG sure is dangerous these days. OSHA should look at the occupational hazards of being a thug and raise their workers compensation insurance rates.

I'm thinking thugs need a place to stay for all of hazard duty they are doing. I'm thinking a nice little room with their favorite thug pal, 3 squares a day and a nice recreational yard they can visit one hour each day. Maybe we should build some more of these, awful lot of people getting into the business.
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowAngel View Post
    Yeah, that's all good and well when he's home, armed, and aware. What happens when a robber finally gets a shot in first, or catches him offguard? It would be safer to make the building a less inviting target than it would to just hope you're ready and waiting with a shotty everytime someone tries to break in.
    Well, I guess you could make it Fort Knox...even steel bars on the doors and windows...his own prison. But that costs big bucks...he already has an alarm system...and why should he be on the inside of his own prison. Just my thoughts...

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    Well, I guess you could make it Fort Knox...even steel bars on the doors and windows...his own prison. But that costs big bucks...he already has an alarm system...and why should he be on the inside of his own prison. Just my thoughts...

Rick
    Well, I agree that he shouldn't have to live inside his own prison. I'm suggesting things like more exterior lighting and the like that makes the place less inviting to potential thieves. Sucks that you have to worry about that in the first place, but two attempted robberies in the span of a month indicates that thieves look at his place like an easy mark. Now, word may spread after two shootings that it's not, but I think personally i'd add a few things to make my business/residence look like more of a hard target for those crooks that aren't in the loop.

If his actions are not enough of a detterant, then I don't know what is.

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar
    It would appear to me that:

1. Dallas has more than it's share of stupids that would break into a place that has already been defended sucessfully before.

2. Apparently, there is no bag limit on creeps in Texas.

3. One more and he starts to get free miles or ammo on his credit card account.
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links